How are you studying for the PE Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smcintee

Reaction score
I am trying to study for the PE exam using the CERM but am having a difficult time studying from it.

I am studying for the breadth exam first (non-construction areas).

How are you studying for the exam?

Are you doing practice problems first?

Or studying from (Fill in reference) then practice problems?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I am studying the depth portion first.

I first go through the CERM for the topic in the test plan, and quickly skim. Then I go on google and look for either a youtube video or a engineering class notes or power point on the subject. Whatever I find that reputable I review. If I find notes on the subject from a PE review class, I organize those into my personal notes. Then I start doing practice problems to include in my notes. After I've done 5-10 on that topic, I go back in the CERM and highlight important facts and equations. I write the CERM section I need in my notes.

I'm doing water-envrio and I've purchased other resources I will use in conjunction with the CERM. But hopefully on the test my notes will be good for the problems.

I'm doing a review class for the breadth, so I wont even touch those sections until my class starts.

I managed to pass the construction depth test after the second try iin April 2012. Because I drive over an hour to get to work and was pressed for study time (married with three kids also), I downloaded the files from the Texas A&M site and converted them to sound files that I listened to on the way to and fro from work. It really helped me to become familiar with the material and then helped when it came time to work problems - familiarty is key to building the confidence you need to get er done! One caveat: I would recommend listening/watching only Geotech, Reinforced Concrete (first 30 minutes only), all of the hydraulics and hydrology courses and maybe statics - I didnt get alot out of some of the other courses. I got to studying after work and on the weekends before my kids got up which leveled off my available study time. I started studying in November but didn't really pick up steam with it until early January of the test year. I bought all the standard study guides, references, practice tests, etc., all of which I have for sale now... [click here for my "Yard Sale" listing: http://engineerboards.com/index.php?app=classifieds&module=core&do=view_item&item_id=153]

In addition to the above, I made two custom study/test binders - one 1-1/2" condensed binder which had each of of the five topics (tabbed, organized) and another 1" binder with additional info for the p.m. portion. THESE ARE MUST HAVES!!! YOU NEED YOUR OWN CUSTOM BINDERS WITH YOUR WORKED PROBLEMS AND YOUR NOTES TO REALLY HAVE AN IMPACT ON PASSING THIS TEST!!! I brought in a binder for my first try the year prior but it wasn't very comprehensive or well organized; quite frankly I was not well prepared. Having your own custom binders really helps with your confidence level and let's not forget... answering problems quickly! The biggest advice I have to pass this thing is work on developing your note binders as you study - you will develop pride in what you constructed, it will become a symbol of the effort you've put in and your devotion to the task, it'll give you worked examples in your time of need, it'll give you a lot more confidence, the list goes on... all-in-all IT WILL HELP YOU PASS!!!

Good Luck!!!

If you are doing construction then give yourself a diagnostics test first - try a former NCEES Sample Exam (AM) like 2001, 2004, etc. Take one exam and see where you are deficient. Then focus on your weaknesses. The CERM is a good way to get started. If you are like me you will eventually hit a wall where the CERM problems take on an unnecessary level of difficulty. The level of difficulty of the Real Thing is commensurate with the NCEES sample exams; that's without debate here. So take the CERM as far as the level of difficulty in the NCEES sample problems, then move on - take a look at Mike's Sample Exam (AM) and Huang's Construction Sample Exam (PM).

Under the construction section here I composed a detailed post on my methods employed to pass the PE exam. Do it right = doing it once.

Jay

Last edited by a moderator:
Smcintee,

If you can swing the price tag I recommend you sign up for the School of PE course. They will teach you all you need to know for the morning session. In addition to that do as many practice problems and test that you can. As you work the problems highlight and tab your references and notes. Also mark or tab frequently reference example problems. A cheat sheet (that must be bound to your notes) of commonly used formulas, was very helpful for me. I studied for few hours every night of the week (I counted to School of PE weekday course as studying) Then on the weekend I read the material for next weeks class and reworked any issues from the week. After the school of PE was over I went through Dr. Mansour information from Passpe.com for construction and just kept doing sample questions and problems. Its best to get sample questions from as many sources as possible because all the instructors seem to have a different idea of what they think will be on the test.

I passed my first time. I am selling some of the books I used here: http://engineerboards.com/index.php?app=classifieds&module=core&do=view_item&item_id=168 Hit me up if you are interested.

Back