HCM 2000 or HCM 2010 to bring in exam? Please advise

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rejectedbytexas

Reaction score
The HCM 2010 is out there. What confused me is all my CERM, NCEES sample questions, and other materials are based on HCM 2000. There are quite a lot of updated procedures in 2010 on freeway weaving, pedestrians and bicycles.

Anyone experienced similar transition when taking your exam? Which one should I prepare, practice and bing to the exam? Have I missed any NCEES official statement on this issue? Please advise. Thank you!

Sammy, I think we talked about this in another thread. I would study from and bring to the exam the reference source that NCEES will use to write your exam - and currently that is the HCM 2010. Yes, the review material and practice problems you have will reference the HCM 2000 because the review material always lags 1-2+ years behind the exam. But any question on your exam will be based off the HCM 2010. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sammy, I think we talked about this in another thread. I would study from and bring to the exam the reference source that NCEES will use to write your exam - and currently that is the HCM 2010. Yes, the review material and practice problems you have will reference the HCM 2000 because the review material always lags 1-2+ years behind the exam. But any question on your exam will be based off the HCM 2000. Good luck.
Thanks!!!

Sammy, I think we talked about this in another thread. I would study from and bring to the exam the reference source that NCEES will use to write your exam - and currently that is the HCM 2010. Yes, the review material and practice problems you have will reference the HCM 2000 because the review material always lags 1-2+ years behind the exam. But any question on your exam will be based off the HCM 2010. Good luck.
Thanks!!!
Oops, that last sentence was supposed to include HCM 2010, not HCM 2000

The only things that they can reasonably expect you to do out of the HCM are pretty basic and unlikely to have changed. Most of the procedures in the HCM are heavily computer based and would be impossible to test for on the PE.

I plan to take the Transportation Depth section in April and am trying to familiarize myself with the HCM 2010. Does anyone else find the 2010 HCM a lot harder to follow than the 2000 version? It seems to me that the 2000 versions index is a lot better than the 2010 version. I am spending way too much time trying to find things in the 2010 version while trying to do problems. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Latest posts

Back