Structural Depth Studying- Kaplan Civil PE + SE courses?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thoughtofthis

Reaction score
Has anyone taken the Kaplan civil PE exam prep course for structural depth? Was it sufficient? Has anyone taken the Kaplan SE review course to supplement the structural studying?

The only reason I'm looking at this is because I might take the SE in the future and why do it twice? The risk would be that I might wayy over study for the PE Civil Structural Depth.

Any thoughts?

I've taken Kaplan S.E. Exam Review Course. 2 days for the Vertical and 2 days for the Lateral. Very basic and allot of copy paste from the codes. From all the instructors I could only find 3 that had a useful content and presentation.

Tim Mays - Vertical & Lateral Forces, Larry Novak - Concrete, John Lommler - Foundations Those were the only ones worth the time. Solid knowledge of Code Design and Practiced Problems.

Jennifer Butler - Analysis Method, very basic with some very unclear scanned examples that were hard to follow. (useless)

John Hochwalt - Masonry, good for code precedence. IBC governs over TMS and he stated the changes. However, allot of plain text, bad resolution copy / paste, no examples and no design formulas / cheat sheet to guide.

Joe Miller - Wood good code knowledge, good references but with no worked detailed examples.

Rafael Sabelli - ENTRY LEVEL presentation 1-2 slides for each section, based on copy/ paste out of AISC Manual. No worked examples, just referring to Allan Williams book examples available for purchase. Are you fucking kidding me??? WHAT A WASTE OF TIME.

LATERAL FORCES

Ravi - Concrete, good code design knowledge, decent presentation with formulas and code reference for faster review. Useful

Joe Miller - Good knowledge and code reference but not solid worked examples. Not great.

John Lommler - Excellent presentation, references and code knowledge both buildings and bridges. He knows what he's doing. However no solid worked examples. Good

John Hochwalt - Masonry Great code knowledge, useful info for sections of IBC that supersedes the TMS but no woked examples.

Thomas Grogan - Tips for Study and Exam Taking. Nothing that I didn't know already and just common sense. I'm not sure why this had to be implemented but I guess it's okay. Not useful for me.

Steel Design - Rafael Sabelli. He actually took some time to implement some sketches, diagrams and formulas along with code references instead of the copy/paste from the lateral review. Very basic with no examples. Again useless.

Tim Mays - Excellent presentation based on examples with code reference. I could not ask for more.

Donald Scott - Wind Forces. Excellent , lengthy in depth presentation with some examples. I wish he would provide additional worked examples for various conditions. Great knowledge and great information.

Latest posts

Back