Preparing for April 2007 PE

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The required books are $497 in a package deal. Add this to that amount.

:true:

Which depth are you doing?
I will do Geotech Depth. I have the study material, just need the 15 weekly guided program or some sort of regimented study process. The few things I like about it: On-line good for me as I travel a lot; $700 for a 15 wk-3hr review course vs $200.

Where are you getting only $200? What about the books? By my calcs, the min for taking that thing that "the other board" has is at least $700. Except for the fact that you would have some books (most of which are very useful and would be recommended), the cost is the same.

UCF has a course for alumni that didn't cost that much and I took it in 1997 (I think it was 1997 but could be 1998) and I could have retaken it for free if I had wanted too. Look into your university options and buy the books you will need.

I can compile a small list of books that you should use and, perhaps, some others could recommend some other books they might feel would be useful.

Start a thread called "Preparing for the Geotech depth PE" on this board and I will post the list along with cost (with some savings for the books at the other site...found a way to do that too...cool).

I went thru "the other board"'s passing zone before the Oct 06 PE exam WR depth. I did pass the exam, but not sure if it was due to the passing zone . . . or just a really good nights sleep the night before. The passing zone helped me stay organized and on a strict study schedule. Each week they give you about 5 problems to solve and if you need help, one of their experts (typically a college prof) is available to help you with any problem/concept pertaining to the specific subject for that week. But after that week is up, they move on to something else. The problems are good. It would be great for someone not good at staying on a schedule or needing some tutoring. On a couple of their problems I didn't have the suggested reference mat'ls (like Metcaff/Edy or geotech stuff) and the "teacher" of the week personally emailed me a pdf copy of charts and formulas. Like I said before, I can't say I passed because I went thru the passing zone, but it did give me a little boost. Seriously I don't see why this board can't do the same thing.

You can get that here for free (or on my new board which, when I can find some time might get started) at http://www.f'tard.com. Why spend the money?

I am sure I can get a thread going that is pinned about preparing for the exams and have some that have passed post problems and such. We can even set timetables if that helps.

I did not do the Passing Zone, but I did shell out the $40 or so for 30 days of the Exam Cafe. To be honest, I thought it was kind of useful. The questions on there are of a very hard format (IMO)...but it might help you get prepared a little better. Especially if you don't want to spend as much as the Passing Zone costs.

I thought the cafe might have only helped me get a couple of additional questions correct on the exam...but as we all know...one or two questions can be the difference. With all the money I spent on books...another $40 seemed rather trivial at that point.

Just my '.02'

Where are you getting only $200? What about the books? By my calcs, the min for taking that thing that "the other board" has is at least $700. Except for the fact that you would have some books (most of which are very useful and would be recommended), the cost is the same.
UCF has a course for alumni that didn't cost that much and I took it in 1997 (I think it was 1997 but could be 1998) and I could have retaken it for free if I had wanted too. Look into your university options and buy the books you will need.

I can compile a small list of books that you should use and, perhaps, some others could recommend some other books they might feel would be useful.

Start a thread called "Preparing for the Geotech depth PE" on this board and I will post the list along with cost (with some savings for the books at the other site...found a way to do that too...cool).
Tmckeon and all..

Thanks for the suggestions. I agree that the Passing Zone will only enforce a routine and the way this board is set up, it can be done here as well (dont know how but have the faith!).

I will start the new thread "Preparing for the Geotech depth PE".

PhillyEngr,

See that you were successful in getting that thread started. Ask DVINNY or RoadGuy to pin the thread or make a prep forum and pin it there.

I will start WR, but due to time constraints, will need some help with the running of it.

Seriously I don't see why this board can't do the same thing.
You are absolutely right cane - only thing would be critical timing issues.

I am finishing my Thesis and preparing to defend for early February, so my time is limited at the moment. I suspect some of the other members' time is limited as well with other projects. For myself, I expect to become more involved in assisting with bringing this type of 'feel' to the board. :+1:

Regards,

JR

I expect to become more involved in assisting with bringing this type of 'feel' to the board. :+1:
I hope so. :resp This board is not even a year old yet, and it is just a baby, I hope we can get it to that point where there is alot of real good help on here.

I think it's come a long way already, imagine in the next few years.

I expect to become more involved in assisting with bringing this type of 'feel' to the board.  :+1:
I hope so. :resp This board is not even a year old yet, and it is just a baby, I hope we can get it to that point where there is alot of real good help on here.

I think it's come a long way already, imagine in the next few years.
I am definitely here to stay and have been recommending the board to everyone who has e-mailed me about preparation. Word-of-mouth goes a long way :true:

I hope a little
fing03.gif
will inspire others to :study more efficiently and effectively and lead to more :congrats: :congrats:

This is a cool group - I for one a glad to be a part of it :???:

JR

You can get that here for free (or on my new board which, when I can find some time might get started) at http://www.f'tard.com. Why spend the money?
I am sure I can get a thread going that is pinned about preparing for the exams and have some that have passed post problems and such. We can even set timetables if that helps.
That url didn't work for me... I ended up at some strange search engine.

It's a strange search engine ... for a strange person
460.gif

13.gif

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

The website you are looking for is posted as Engineer Trades.

You will note it is not up and running yet, Tom has been busy with some other projects.

The Exam Preparation threads here at EB.com are the BEST source of information going!!
true.gif
Please feel free to post questions about materials, study schedules, pointers, or whatever comes to mind.

Regards,

JR

Well, I'm enrolled in "the other board"'s Passing Zone. So far I think it's useful. It helps me stay focused and they answer all questions. I had also enrolled in the Passing Zone for the FE exam last year and I think it helped a lot. Regarding the price, I would have bought the books anyway, so the additional $190 for the Passing Zone didn't really make a big difference.

Tina

OK, let me fire off some more questions to seek some more opinions. It seems like people on these boards enjoy sharing their opinions, so I won't hold back on my questions...

For various reasons, I didn't get a packet submitted in time to take the April exam here in NC. My plan is to submit one in the next month or two in hopes to sit for the October exam. However, I've probably got more time to study now than I will in the months leading up to the October exam. Has anyone tried a long-term study strategy, perhaps putting in fewer hours per week but still trying to hit a cumulative in the zone?

Based on my reading of the board, the zone seems to be 200 to 300 hours of study. I know one size doesn't fit all, but I've got to start somewhere with my strategy. Right now, I'm thinking of trying to come up with some kind of schedule with hours of study matched up to the topics on the exam. That way I can work along based on the time I have available. Any comments on this? Has someone already done this?

Would it be more effective to commit to working a certain number of problems rather than working for a certain number of hours?

It sounds like "the other board"'s review program is not self-paced. Is anyone aware of a self-pace review program for the PE?

Has anyone used review materials or programs from MGI or NSPE or NCEES?

Right now, it sounds like the best thing to do is work through the problems in the CERM Practice Problems book for the areas I'm going to be focusing on in depth (WR).

Also, according to the NCEES website, the breakdown for the WR questions was written in 2000. If the breakdown hasn't changed, is there any good reason to run out and buy a new Lindeburg book? I've got the 7th edition / 1999 CERM and Practice Problems. Does anyone know exactly what changes between these editions?

I am using the 8th, but the only thing that really has changed is Transportation and Structural. so for the most part you need to skip those sections and use another reference.

I'm on my 3rd try, and I do transportaion design, and even I thought the AM transpo questons were "whack"

I am starting to wish I had brought more books to the exam myself (for the morning)

Back