Your first bike!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
IMG_08431-600x450.jpg

Mine was red and had a front fender, but other than that, looked just like this one.

Western Flyer Buzz Bike. Got it for my sixth birthday in 1972 and it was stolen at the beach six years later.

I too had a banana seated bike, but mine was white and purple...probably circa 1987 it is still hanging in my parents garage

Last edited by a moderator:
I had close to that same bike, blue with a silver seat, same handle bars... hand-me-down from my brother... he was born in 73, so it was probably around 78-80 when they bought it....

I had hand-me-down bikes until I was in my 20s, then I bought a cheap 21 sp to try and lose some weight on the rail trails with my brother. hasn't gotten much use

Red, w/ a black seat, no hand brake. Got it around '73ish probably, had it up to jr high till it got runover by a truck

Mine was a BMX style bike, but it had blue tires on it and brakes that engaged when you reversed the pedals. I went through multiple sets of tires leaving blue skidmarks on the street in front of my house.

Mine was a BMX style bike, but it had blue tires on it and brakes that engaged when you reversed the pedals. I went through multiple sets of tires leaving blue skidmarks on the street in front of my house.
Mine was General Lee (Hemi) orange, with black tires. I really have no idea whatever happened to it, but I do know I ended up with a nice 21spd Trek bike in my early teens (it was an 800 series). That bike is still at my parents house, although it's gotten rusty from lack of use.

I can only remember the color. it was red. That and the first time I rode it without the learning wheels, had a crash and hit my balls so hard that did not ride it again for more than a week

I can only remember the color. it was red. That and the first time I rode it without the learning wheels, had a crash and hit my balls so hard that did not ride it again for more than a week
I had a similar experience shortly after the training wheels came off. I crashed into a metal fence post and scratched up me knee something awful. It was like 4x6 area when it crusted over...i had a very hard time walking for weeks...the motion would break the scabs and the bleeding would start again. It got me out of having to run a mile for the time test in gym class...at least I thought until after it healed then the teacher has a makeup session for those who missed out the first time.

I learned how to ride without training wheels on my orange bike. My only memory of the experience was the fact that I ended up running my handlebars down the length of my aunt's new powderblue Oldsmobile, leaving an orange streak.

My worst problem after the training wheels came off was steering. Probably didn't help that we had no pavement to ride on.

A couple of times, Mom and dad took us over to the local HS to ride in the parking lot. Night and day difference between that and riding on sand, especially with a six year's old muscle mass.

The first bike I ever remember by name was a Huffy Mudslinger, that had all this plastic stuff all over it to look tough. It had an armadillo sticker on it somewhere, too.

The bike that got me through middle school was a Diamondback Assault EX. I think it's still in my parent's garden shed somewhere.

Mine was a BMX style bike, but it had blue tires on it and brakes that engaged when you reversed the pedals.
Coaster brakes. We used to zip out on tennis courts & put down some hellish skids - some of 'em would be really loud! Eventually somebody would yell at you & off you'd ride. good times.

Oh yeah, never needed training wheels, but then I was in 1st grade I believe...

Mine was a BMX style bike, ...brakes that engaged when you reversed the pedals.
<--- same here.

I rebuilt that thing a handful of time, the last time I was in 8th grade. I sanded all of the old paint of, painted it flat white and splattered black on it like Maud from Lebowski.

My current ride:

04cf_12.jpg

Bought it on ebay from a wholesaler, crappy carbon frame, but awesome Dura Ace groupo worth more than what the bike's worth.

Roam_1_wht_blk_red_72dpiWIDE.jpg

Wait, no that's not my first bike, just the first one I bought last year.
I still have the Giant Iguana mountain bike I bought in 1990 down in the basement. Put some miles on that dude before it retired to the basement in April 1998...I need to get it back out.

I switched the seat the a Schwinn springer seat off of an old 1950s Schwinn. I broke my tail bone on the racing seat my first Giant mountain bike had. Yes, I was that skinny back then.

My first 'bike' (no, that's not me):
My sister and I got a pair of Two Speed Superwheels for Christmas one year.

http://archive.org/details/dmbb34803

Dad swore up and down that was the worst Christmas assembly project of his life. Friends came over for a Christmas Eve party, the liquor flowed, and they left late.

Those dang things were a bizzitch to pedal (way worse than a Big Wheel), and didn't turn worth a dang.

I remember it was a chrome Torker bike with a dual frame, also remember it was stolen out of my backyard and I never saw it again.. Dad wouldn't get me another one because I was the irresponsible kid who left it unattended in our fenced in backyard...wtf..... Not that I have any bad feelings about it or anything....

Latest posts

Back