Ever crossed paths with a killer?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
Back in December of 87, I pulled up beside this guy in his Camaro convertible, nodded to him and said, "Nice car." Found out during the trial that I had pulled up beside a killer who was probably planning his next abduction.

Here's the book about him:

http://www.amazon.com/Stranger-Family-Murd...l/dp/0451406222

A few years back i taught drafting in a prison. My TA was in for killing a guy during a robbery.

Anyone else have a close encounter with a killer before?

Never a killer, but when I was about 10, my dad, brother and sister and I almost stumbled across a dead body. A contractor had been clearing timber for a new highway, so there was free firewood (u cut it, u haul it). So anyway we got out of the car and went walking around scouting the area. We went home to get my dad's pickup. When we got back, there were tons of cop cars and an ambulance. Some other firewood cutter had found the apparently murdered body within 30 feet of where we had walked. I'm sure glad we didn't smell it! It was really disturbing for me. I remember staying awake almost all night, because I couldn't stop thinking about it.

Yeah, it's been over 5 years and still makes me sad. Keith was a great guy. Down home Southern fella that got along with everybody, and would bend over backwards to help you if you needed it. Loved his 3 boys, always out doing stuff with them. He & I did a lot of work together, got along well. My office was right across from his.

I know its not the same, but the feelings for what happened are still strong: A close friend and mentor of mine from my first job out of college came on some hard times within the last couple of years and ended his own life. He will be missed.

Not exactly, but I was riding with a delivery driver to unload some boxes at Thurston High School in Springfield Oregon the morning Kip Kinkel went on a shooting spree.

Recently I met one of my girlfriends classmates boy friend and it would surprise me if he isn't/hasn't murdered someone. One weird dude.

Seeing that I haven't attended a lecture by Henry Kissinger, no I have not crossed paths with a killer yet.

One of the kids I went to junior high school with later killed someone. I think it was a heat-of-passion thing, over a woman.

My first husband had a friend with 3 kids. The oldest boy was always full of devilment. He would do stuff like pull the legs off of tiny frogs. I told my then-husband "that boy's gonna end up in jail". Well, when the boy was about 25 years old, he had a falling-out with his daddy and went looking for him. He had it in his mind to kill his daddy. He went down to the river because he thought his daddy might be down there fishing. Instead he found my then-husband's cousin Kenneth fishing. In his drug-fueled state, he killed Kenneth instead.

Another high school friend was murdered in Texas, but I didn't know the killer.

I headed an enforcement action against a quarry operator here who had killed a hotel security guard just a few years previously - beat the guy to death with an ashtray (trashcan type) after he told him "no locals in the pool!" The judge felt sorry for him and gave him just a year or two for manslaughter.

I didn't know this when I initiated the enforcement action, but I quickly found out because the guy was still on probation and we screwed that up for him. Once I knew, I made sure to never visit his site alone.

He ran a trash collection service with just one trash truck, serving a few homes and apartments, but mostly the hotel where the security guard had worked. I guess, as some sort of settlement on the civil side, he agreed to provide trash collection services to the hotel for free. Well, it turned out he didn't want to pay tipping fees at the landfill, so he was landfilling the trash at his quarry, and we caught him.

I had a boss one time that shot and killed her husband (years before). Apparently he was beating her for a long time, and she finally had enough. Guy got what he deserved as far as I'm concerned, but I'm a heartless ******* with no patience for wife-beaters.

My aunt once had a student that she told in class that she thought he'd end up killing someone. He got kicked off the schoolbus for lighting a student on fire a couple years later.

Then, after that school year was over, he asked out a girl that worked at the vet's office across the highway from where I grew up. She said no, so he smashed her over the head with a flower pot, killing her, and then hid the body.

1. My buddy was a probation officer. He once brought over a guy to play cards. I later found out he killed somebody in an armed robbery.

2. A roommate's old high school friend came over to the house. He stabbed a guy to death with a butter knife when he was 16. The guy was selling flowers on a street corner, and hde stabbed him for the money.

and, the capper -

2. A kid in my Boy Scout troop raped and killed his own mother.

http://articles.latimes.com/1994-09-08/new...-verdes-estates

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my students in Intro to Engineering killed his cousin in an arguement over a lighter. He was out on bond when he took my class, but he got three years for manslaughter after the semester ended.

Several of my friends are police officers. One of them shot and killed a drug dealer a few years ago after the guy ran from him and pulled a gun when he chased him. He ended up getting fired from the force due to some political bullshit. I guess shooting drug dealers who pull guns on you is frowned upon in the west part of Louisville. No wonder its the **** smeared ass crack of the city...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back