Transfer of lincense required for Fed Gov work?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfreeman

Reaction score
Just had a kick off meeting for some work at a VA medical center. The architect we teamed with said during lunch that they are doing work for the VA all over the place. Did not get clarification if they have people that got licensed in each location or not. My boss and I are wondering if it is possible for us to do work with them in other states in addition to the local work or possibly team with a local architect in other states.

Does anyone have experience with this type of situation? We are curious if the engineer on the project would have to be licensed in the state where work was performed if it is a federal facility (i.e. - fed. land/fed. jurisdiction not state or local jurisdiction?)

Just had a kick off meeting for some work at a VA medical center. The architect we teamed with said during lunch that they are doing work for the VA all over the place. Did not get clarification if they have people that got licensed in each location or not. My boss and I are wondering if it is possible for us to do work with them in other states in addition to the local work or possibly team with a local architect in other states.
Does anyone have experience with this type of situation? We are curious if the engineer on the project would have to be licensed in the state where work was performed if it is a federal facility (i.e. - fed. land/fed. jurisdiction not state or local jurisdiction?)
You may have to check with each state's licensing board. In California the rule is if you're doing work for the Feds you dont even have to have a license. I'm not sure how it works in other states though.

I'm not sure how the arrangement works with the VA, but some federal agencies do not require you to be registered in the state in which the project will be built. I have first hand experience with this situation while working for the Army Corps of Engineers. I designed a building at Ft. Bliss, TX for the USACE out of Sacramento, CA and stamped it with my Kentucky stamp. If the VA has a similar arrangement, you're in the clear. The only way to know for sure is to ask the PM for the VA project.

Not only check with your board, but check the RFP! Almost every RFP that has crossed by desk since I started working as an EIT has clearly stated that the engineer of record must be licensed in the state in which the project is located. Now all RFP's that I've dealt with on the federal side are either Army or Air Force, so I cannot state anything with the VA.

The CORPs also changes their mind on a state to state basis, so be get any clarifications in writing from as high up in the local food chain as you can get. If you work for them directly, there may be a different set of rules. I can only state what I know from working in a private firm on Federal Jobs.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back