P.E. looking for the light at end of the tunnel

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goPE

Reaction score
I graduated from a top 30-40 Engineering School at states w/ PH.D of structural engineering, CA P.E. holder, strong expertise in finite element analysis and dynamic analysis, total 6 years of building and bridge design in states and oversea, got laid off for half year, feel very frustrated of job searching, where is my career path? When can I see the light at end of the tunnel?

BTW, I'm not citizen, just a permanent resident.

No solution - just sorry to hear that. You sound very qualified. I just reviewed a bunch of applicants today at my job and it is amazing how qualified some people we have to turn away. Far more qualified than I am, I must admit.

Hopefully something will turn up, they say the economy is improving.

Are there difficulties with hiring a permanent resident? Does an amployer have to go through US Immigration procedures? Or can they just hire you direct without all of that? (permanent resident = "green card", right?)

Just wondering if that has anything to do with it - maybe it's easier to hire a citizen than a non-citizen.

But good luck, hopefully things will turn around. Otherwise, have you considered relocating? It seems to me that there are always places that need engineers. Those places may not happen to be where you are presently living, is all. I've moved around in pursuit of work before.

Are there difficulties with hiring a permanent resident? Does an amployer have to go through US Immigration procedures? Or can they just hire you direct without all of that? (permanent resident = "green card", right?)
Just wondering if that has anything to do with it - maybe it's easier to hire a citizen than a non-citizen.

But good luck, hopefully things will turn around. Otherwise, have you considered relocating? It seems to me that there are always places that need engineers. Those places may not happen to be where you are presently living, is all. I've moved around in pursuit of work before.
greencard holder here. There are no legal restrictions and as far as I know there isn't discrimination against greencard holders. The employer does not need to do any extra paperwork (I work for a municipality, no way they would do extra paperwork). the only limitation are federal jobs and jobs with certain security clearances. I once applied for a job with a company that cleans up old ammunition factories and they said for accessing certain databases I need to be a citizen (didn't get the job, not sure if that was the cause).

Apparently in the federal mind, I'm less trustworthy than Timothy McVeigh who was a citizen. :)

I probably would have a hard time working in nuclear facilities. I once had a project with a federal laboratory (I leave out the name) and my access was much more restricted and someone had to go to the bathroom with me (no kidding, not in the stall, of course) and I had to wear a red tag (unlike the citizen people). Ironically some weeks later an employee who wasn't happy with his retirement plan there, who was a US citizen, started a shooting on the premise and killed some people. So they don't even trust me with a bathroom (and not with cell phone either...), but apparently you can bring guns to work if you are a citizen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

yes its sad to hear that.

I dont think you will face many issues in finding a job, looking at your qualifications.

I am a PR mysef, but on parole (an intermediate step for GC). So I dont need a work visa.

Try on LinkedIn, where you ca get in touch with the company managers/ HR directly.

Try Indeed.com

All the best!!

greencard holder here. There are no legal restrictions and as far as I know there isn't discrimination against greencard holders. The employer does not need to do any extra paperwork (I work for a municipality, no way they would do extra paperwork). the only limitation are federal jobs and jobs with certain security clearances. I once applied for a job with a company that cleans up old ammunition factories and they said for accessing certain databases I need to be a citizen (didn't get the job, not sure if that was the cause).

Apparently in the federal mind, I'm less trustworthy than Timothy McVeigh who was a citizen. :)

I probably would have a hard time working in nuclear facilities. I once had a project with a federal laboratory (I leave out the name) and my access was much more restricted and someone had to go to the bathroom with me (no kidding, not in the stall, of course) and I had to wear a red tag (unlike the citizen people). Ironically some weeks later an employee who wasn't happy with his retirement plan there, who was a US citizen, started a shooting on the premise and killed some people. So they don't even trust me with a bathroom (and not with cell phone either...), but apparently you can bring guns to work if you are a citizen.

Crazy! :suicide1:

As for GoPE, i just got flyer in the mail from the country of australia saying they need high qualified professional engineers and that they are hiring big time. Much lower unemployment rate than US... job security, adventurous place....and blah blah blah.... they just want $$ for when I apply for a visa... but hey, if relocating afar is an option, you may want to look outside the US... good luck. :15:

I graduated from a top 30-40 Engineering School at states w/ PH.D of structural engineering, CA P.E. holder, strong expertise in finite element analysis and dynamic analysis, total 6 years of building and bridge design in states and oversea, got laid off for half year, feel very frustrated of job searching, where is my career path? When can I see the light at end of the tunnel?
BTW, I'm not citizen, just a permanent resident.

This forum is for discussion about the PE exam.

Back