Windows 7

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadwreck

Probie-one, PE
Reaction score
Our primary desktop died a few weeks (months) back and I only replaced it last week. I was waiting for Windows 7 to be released. I know there were a lot of companies offering Vista machines with a free upgrade to Win 7 as soon as it was released, but I really didn't want to deal with the hassle of upgrading the OS. Has anyone else made the switch? I never moved to Vista, I kept XP on all my machines so I really don't know what's "new" with this OS from it's predecessor. I've been pretty impressed with it so far, I haven't had any compatibility problems. I even installed MicroStation v7 on it and it runs fine.

Some of our company computers already have 7 on them. The IT guys seem to like it so far, but I haven't worked with it personally.

My computer is runnig Vista (64 bit). I bought it over the summer and see no need to upgrade to Windows 7.

From what I hear, Windows 7 and Vista 64 bit are more or less the same OS. Who knows though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I built a new computer, and when I did, I bought a copy of Windows Vista 64-bit OEM with a free upgrade coupon to Win7. I had nothing but problems with Vista for the 2 weeks I had it installed (hardware incompatibility, bad drivers, constant annoying-ass messages popping up all the time, problems finding common settings because they are hidden by default, etc.). I have had far less trouble with Win7, so they seem to have fixed a lot of that.

In my opinion, Vista was MS's worst OS since Windows ME...and that was a steaming load.

^^^ Surprising enough, I had Windows ME work perfectly fine for me over the course of 6 years... until my hard drive crashed. Now I may be a one in a million success story, but it was good for me nonetheless. :)

^^^ Surprising enough, I had Windows ME work perfectly fine for me over the course of 6 years... until my hard drive crashed. Now I may be a one in a million success story, but it was good for me nonetheless. :)
I think you are more like a one in a billion story. I had ME installed for all of 7 hours, during which time none of my peripherals worked like they were supposed to and I experienced no less than 10 BSODs (Blue Screens of Death). I quickly re-installed Win98 the evening of the same day I had installed ME.

^I had a similar experience. I waited until the next morning to get rid of ME but it was still on the machine for less than 24 hours.

I started using Windows 7 when it was they offered RC1 for trial use back in the summer. Although I haven't had any issues with Vista, I really like Windows 7 a lot more. There's a lot of small changes that really make a big difference.

+1. Never a lick of trouble with ME.

I purposely waited until after Windows 7 was released to order my new desktop. Should have it 1st/2nd week of December.

I've got a copy of Windows 7, but I haven't installed it yet. I'm going to do a clean install of 7 64 bit over my Vista 32 bit since I have a 64 bit processor. I want to be able to take advantage of the additional ram. I hope to get it installed in December.

For those of you running 7, how much of a resource hog have you found it to be? I took no chances and went with the i7 processor and 8 GB of RAM.

I recently upgraded ( via free upgrade) to 7 from vista.The os is faster to boot and open programs. From what I've heard it was designed to be more lightwieght to run on the small, lowpower netbooks. No complaints so far.

I recently upgraded ( via free upgrade) to 7 from vista.The os is faster to boot and open programs. From what I've heard it was designed to be more lightwieght to run on the small, lowpower netbooks. No complaints so far.
There is a special, stripped-down version (called Starter, or something like that) designed to run on netbooks. Full-fledged Win7 (Home, Premium, Pro, Ultimate) won't run on them.

Good. As long as it's quicker than Vista, the new desktop rig should annihilate it. Time to run the Adobe suite to the extreme.

Need to find some good games, too. The fan on the video card is roughly the same size as one of our booster fans here on site.

Latest posts

Back