Random Questions

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrum

@@--@@
Reaction score
coupleof questions i got from a cow-workers study course

1.In determining road - user characteristics for design purposes, the value most commonly used is:

A. Mean

B. Median

C. 85th percentile

D. 95 th percentile

2. According to AASHTO, a low speed rural collector road should be provided a minimum of _______ clear zone?

A. 5 ft

B. 10 ft

C. 20 ft

D. 40 ft

4. What measure will typically provide the greatest benefit cost ration in terms of improved safety at Highway RR grade crossings?

A. Flashing Lights replacing signs only

B. installing a grade seperation (bridge)

C. Automatic Gates replacing signs only

D. Automatic gates replacing active devices such as flashing lights

5. Assume a 60 second cycle length and a desired speed of 30 mph. What is the ideal spacing between signals for a 2 -way progression?

A. 440 ft

B. 880 ft

C. 1320 ft

D. 2640 ft

6. All of the following are different ways an accident experience can be summarized. What normally is the least significant in analyzing a hazardous intersection?

A. Type of Crash

B. Age of Vehicle

C. Severity of Injuries

D. Time of Day

7. 4 cars travel along a street at a constant rate of speeds of 35, 30 25, & 20 mph.

What is the approximate space mean speed?

A. 24.3 mph

B. 26.3 mph

C. 27.5 mph

D. 30.2 mph

coupleof questions i got from a cow-workers study course

1.In determining road - user characteristics for design purposes, the value most commonly used is:

A. Mean

B. Median

C. 85th percentile

D. 95 th percentile

2. According to AASHTO, a low speed rural collector road should be provided a minimum of _______ clear zone?

A. 5 ft

B. 10 ft

C. 20 ft

D. 40 ft

4. What measure will typically provide the greatest benefit cost ration in terms of improved safety at Highway RR grade crossings?

A. Flashing Lights replacing signs only

B. installing a grade seperation (bridge)

C. Automatic Gates replacing signs only

D. Automatic gates replacing active devices such as flashing lights

5. Assume a 60 second cycle length and a desired speed of 30 mph. What is the ideal spacing between signals for a 2 -way progression?

A. 440 ft

B. 880 ft

C. 1320 ft

D. 2640 ft

6. All of the following are different ways an accident experience can be summarized. What normally is the least significant in analyzing a hazardous intersection?

A. Type of Crash

B. Age of Vehicle

C. Severity of Injuries

D. Time of Day
Can you publish anwers?

I would like to see the anwswer for #4, there are two choice are pretty close
well, just a quick find and look I got the following

1,C

2,B

3,where is #3

4, dont know the choice is close

5, D

6, C

Anyway, I may be all wrong,let me know whats the answer please

well, just a quick find and look I got the following1,C

2,B

3,where is #3

4, dont know the choice is close

5, D

6, C

Anyway, I may be all wrong,let me know whats the answer please
for the mean speed question=I believe is C, cuase by defination the formular is U=(sum of d/ti) / N so in this cause we got sum of m/hr divide by n therefore is just samplely divide by 5

These problems were once a part of an online sample Q&A for the PTOE exam. I tried to find it but the site has been recently updated and these problems have been removed.

I have the above problems and solutions + some additional problems from some other source. See the attached PDF document.

Enjoy.

Good luck.

EDIT: Re-attached the PDF file. Don't know how it got deleted.

Transportation_Problems.pdf

Attachments

• Transportation_Problems.pdf
    205.1 KB · Views: 189
Last edited by a moderator:
n/m, found the equation in the graph in the HCM...they should put that equation in the definition above

Ar man I totally mess up #5 & #7, and #10 how may I gonna pass the exam?

also, can you explain how you got the answer to #10?
Hey Mattsffrd, I figure out how to do #10 man. I mess up the defination and the guy totally is wrong. the space mean speed is not S/N is N/sum of the (1/speed) so you is like 4/(1/35+1/30+1/25+1/20) you should got the correct answer.

good luck to you man

Hey Mattsffrd, I figure out how to do #10 man. I mess up the defination and the guy totally is wrong. the space mean speed is not S/N is N/sum of the (1/speed) so you is like 4/(1/35+1/30+1/25+1/20) you should got the correct answer.
good luck to you man
The guy is NOT wrong. He is giving a direct version of the Space Mean Speed (SMS) formula. Just see that he has referenced Page 7-3 from HCM. This formula requires that you calculate average first and plug into the equation. Check the final marked answer it is same as your answer. At least read the full thing and then claim it to be incorrect.

What you did is another way of calculating SMS, both the ways are correct. Pick one and go with it.

bump. The file is re-attached. See Post # 9.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back