Preparation for October 2018 Power PE Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a lot of material my friend to carry to the test. I thought I was taking too many books/binders and should reduce it. I think we all may overwhelm ourselves in the exam if we take too many books. Just a thought. :)   I do have made my own binders with a lot of notes on each one of the nine topics and a index sheet with page numbers so that I don't get too much lost in the exam trying to remember oh my ! where have I seen this particular question/topic.

Good Luck !
You're absolutely right. I think I may have went a little overboard. I got so wrapped up in reference material. I'll try to reduce it by a quarter. I'll probably just take the School of PE notes, EngProGuides notes, Graffeo, Wildi, Power Electronics, Protection Book, IEEE Books, NEC and NESC. Seems like that's sufficient.

I'm not feeling confident about the exam at all, to be honest.  I'm still coming across too many questions I get wrong and when I finally figure out how to do them correctly, 2 hours have passed and I've wasted too much time on one problem.  Then I look back at some of the other practice problems I've worked on and I have no memory how I did them.  My mind is just not retaining what I've learned.

I'm not feeling confident about the exam at all, to be honest.  I'm still coming across too many questions I get wrong and when I finally figure out how to do them correctly, 2 hours have passed and I've wasted too much time on one problem.  Then I look back at some of the other practice problems I've worked on and I have no memory how I did them.  My mind is just not retaining what I've learned.
I'm banking on my brain going into fight or flight mode on exam day and being able to extract all the information I've stuffed in it over the past couple of months. I'm currently reviewing all of my solutions and resources in an attempt to prime my brain in understanding that all this stuff is important and will be in use very soon..

Although I am also appearing for the first time so cannot be an expert on commenting, but I would advice do not overthink it too much. The chances are that around 50 percent of exam will be very simple : basic one on one transformation to input parameters into the formula and get the result (that would include all code question).

Rest 50 percent would be a challenge, where one has to think beyond the box and sort out a twist or so in the problem. If you have gone through the course material (what ever you are preparing from, be it Eng Pro guide or Graffeo or School of PE etc.) I would suggest that from now on to the exam day, just read all your material and read all the solved problems see how it is solved rather than trying to solve by yourself now. Make notes of which problem is solved how and take those notes with you in the exam. Trust me any handwritten notes you will make now will help you recall where in the material you have to find the solution.

All the best. Keep motivated. Don't panic and loose heart.

Cheers..

We should all just try and relax, first and foremost. I would like to pass this the first time around. I can't keep doing this again and again. That would be a literal nightmare. However, there are worse things in life so I think we should just all go with the flow. It actually helps not to be stressed then you can think. Let's just show up, do our thing and leave. At least it's only 80 questions unlike the **** FE which was 180 (on the paper exam). At this point I am losing steam and trying to wind down while casually reading some references.

The issue I have is that I have done a lot of practice problems but I have a feeling that when I read the problem on the actual exam that I will "freeze" up and not understand how to solve it. I've learned a lot of the concepts and some tricks to each problem but the wording will definitely throw me off as what I have seen with the NCEES practice exam. I guess the key is to look out for nonsense thrown in the problems on the exam. For example, practice question 1 in the NCEES practice exam. "SCADA system" and "transducer". Things that just add in extra words. In the end it's all solved the same so keep that in mind. Know the concepts and how to apply them and you should be good. If you need an equation look to your cheat sheet. If you need some information on a qualitative type problem then check your reference.

Good Morning All,

Thank you so much for sharing your study plan for the upcoming PE Power Test. I would like to find out where  you guys getting all the full length practice test. Please let me know.

Thanks,

Good Morning All,

Thank you so much for sharing your study plan for the upcoming PE Power Test. I would like to find out where  you guys getting all the full length practice test. Please let me know.

Thanks,
Links to all the exams I bought are located here.

I also included some additional links at the bottom of that page to exams that I didn't buy, but wish I had. I may be missing a few in that list, but it covers a lot!

Good luck! 😃

Back