PE civil breadth prep - Structural question

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngelaK

Reaction score
Let's say there is a question like this:
A T-beam that is part of a floor system is 15-ft-long and is subjected to an ultimate shear of 80 kips at either support. The flange thickness = 4 in, stem width = 10 in, steel effective depth = 16 in, and beam spacing = 45 in. Given that the shear spacing at the supports is required to be 2.5 in, determine the minimum required area of shear steel reinforcement.

Assuming I will not have anything other than NCEES hand book at the exam. How would I go about solving this?

A little about me: My depth is geotech. Structural is my weakest one in all of the disciplines, please help.

Does the handbook have equations from ACI? In particular equation 22.5.10.5.3. With this equation, you re-arrange for Av and solve.

Since you are referring to the NCEES handbook, I assume you are studying for a CBT (computer based test)? I am not familiar with the requirements for such. If so, will you also have access to the ACI manual during the exam?

Let's say there is a question like this:
A T-beam that is part of a floor system is 15-ft-long and is subjected to an ultimate shear of 80 kips at either support. The flange thickness = 4 in, stem width = 10 in, steel effective depth = 16 in, and beam spacing = 45 in. Given that the shear spacing at the supports is required to be 2.5 in, determine the minimum required area of shear steel reinforcement.

Assuming I will not have anything other than NCEES hand book at the exam. How would I go about solving this?

A little about me: My depth is geotech. Structural is my weakest one in all of the disciplines, please help.
You would not have a question this in depth if you’re taking the geotech depth. They’re not gonna give you a structural question that requires the steel or concrete code In the breadth section. They’re gonna test you on the fundamentals, think moment diagrams and trusses.

Back