Motor for rotating platform

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zakaria

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am doing a project to build a solar tracker. The tracker will consist of rotating platform which will rotate according to sun motion. The platform will be built on four wheels with one or two of the wheels are driven by electric motor.

It will rotate about vertical axis and the platform should be able to rotate with max tangential speed of 1.03 m/min and min tangential speed of 0.017 m/min.

In other words, the platform will follow the speed of sun at this range. The sensor and encoder will be used for this purpose but the platform should be able to rotate with the max tangential speed of 1.03 m/min.

The platform has a mass of 4 tonnes and radius of 10 m and can be modeled as uniformly distributed object.

Can someone please help me to calculate the max torque needed in order to choose the suitable motor for this application? If some information missing for the calculation of torque, please let me know

Thanx in advance

Back