Lets talk about post PE raises (esp. in michigan!)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My work paid for my lindeburg manual and test masters course prior to exam. My work also paid for travel and lodging for the test masters course.

After passing, I got reimbursed for mileage and lodging for day of exam. I am getting reimbursed for exam fees, a few misc. study books, and my HP 35s calculator.

Reimbursed expenses. Promotion that hinged on passing PE. Higher billing rate should equate to 5 - 8% raise....but who really knows??

PE's,

After I passed my MD-PE exam I emailed my manager and COO of my company. I got congratulations email from COO and a firm handshake from my manager. BTW I work for a manufacturing company.

After I passed I was reimbursed for my PE application fee and exam fees which was around $565. My company does not have any policy for passing PE exam. My manager and management are all mum and no-one has come up with a pay raise for me. Do you guys think that I should go to my manager and ask for one or should I give him some time. I really feel embarrassed and my ego hurts to ask for a raise, I feel like I am begging. After getting my PE my ego is on ninth sky and asking for a raise from those douchebag MBA's is against my pride and prestige.

Please suggest my action plan. Should I go and ask for $$ from those spreadsheet makers.
Is there a reason they should give you a raise? Why does you getting your PE benefit them? Answer those questions then go ask for a raise.

In general I never expect anyone to give me a raise out of the kindness of their hearts. If you want a raise, ask for it, otherwise they are going to think you are content with your current salary. By answering the questions above you should know what to say when you ask for the raise

PE's,

After I passed my MD-PE exam I emailed my manager and COO of my company. I got congratulations email from COO and a firm handshake from my manager. BTW I work for a manufacturing company.

After I passed I was reimbursed for my PE application fee and exam fees which was around $565. My company does not have any policy for passing PE exam. My manager and management are all mum and no-one has come up with a pay raise for me. Do you guys think that I should go to my manager and ask for one or should I give him some time. I really feel embarrassed and my ego hurts to ask for a raise, I feel like I am begging. After getting my PE my ego is on ninth sky and asking for a raise from those douchebag MBA's is against my pride and prestige.

Please suggest my action plan. Should I go and ask for $$ from those spreadsheet makers.
I'd say go ask, you'll never know until you try. In my experience those who ask shall receive.

You could just sort of mention it, that's what I did. I just casually said "hey, now that I've passed my PE exam, any chance on a raise?". I figured the worst he could say is no, actually expected it. While I was shot down, he did suggest that something would happen later on and he's always followed through on his promises before. At the very least I wanted to put it on their radar that I was paying attention to my compensation and insert a little doubt in them that I could be seeking other opportunities. In a prior life I worked more in a managerial track in a small company and we were constantly paying attention to comments like those with the fear that someone productive would leave and we would be forced to retrain a new employee, loosing productivity each time. This was during the economic boom, so times may be different but I'd say still try.

Back