Hands on work that is still technical?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shezadeh

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right subforum, but it was the most appropriate place I could think to post in.

Does anyone know if there are any engineering jobs (in general) that are hands on, but also involve technical knowledge? R&D?

Most jobs that I have seen (where I work, where my friends work, etc), are proceduralized, and are mostly desk work.

There are many hands on jobs that I have seen, but most are "technicians" who run tests, but do not contribute much to the design of systems/components.

I was thinking something, perhaps in a laboratory type setting, that involves experimentation but also requires technical knowledge (like many university research labs)

Thoughts?

Control and automation are geared heavily toward hands-on. I work for an OEM overhead crane manufacturer that builds cranes for nuclear plants. Obviously the design work and customer correspondence is a lot of desk work, but when the systems are ready to be tested and demonstrated in front of the customer, it is the electrical engineer who sets things up and performs the testing. The same was true when I was working in the automotive industry as a controls engineer. Lots of PLC and automated machine testing. Very neat things to work with.

So did you get to develop your own testing methodologies, as well as work on design? Most testing positions I have seen do involve hands on things, but the testing engineer just gives results (of a test that is either procedural, or something some other engineer developed) to a design person, who them implements changes. Yes, there is probably some interface, but I am not sure how much input to the design the testing person has in this situation.

On the other hand, I know someone who tested medical devices for one company, and said that he was also involved in design and got to incorporate testing results into design work, but he was one person. Maybe I am just dreaming, but I was thinking of something like this, that involved testing/hands on stuff, but also allowed one to incorporate these results into design. I am still new to the working world (2 years out of school), so I figured I'd throw it out there.

In automotive, there wasn't really a procedure to follow when testing equipment. Basically if the machine produced a quality part within the appropriate tolerances, the machine was accepted as final.

In the nuclear world, things are much more documented. And based on my experience, the lead electrical engineer for each crane project develops the testing documentation. This is because the lead knows the system front and back as to how it should operate and how things are sequenced. This document is then reviewed by the end-customer which eventually gets approved. The lead elec. engineer then performs said test in front of the customer. Once each step is successfully completed and signed off on, the crane is accepted and shipped to the plant.

My job is fairly hands on and technical. I take apart appliances and other things to see why they caused fires and floods. It's essentially reverse-engineering, but I don't have to put the things back together. I just have to write a report about how it failed, and maybe testify in court.

You might want to consider control systems engineering or process controls engineering. Engineers in those fields typically have to work with the system designers to understand what is being controlled and why. They then figure out the best way to control it, and once they have enough experience they assist in testing it in the field to make sure it works and teach others how to use it. This often involves programming of PLC's (programmable logic controllers), DCS (distributed control systems), HMI (Human Machine Interface), and stand alone controls. "Integrator" firms often provide this type of service, although the larger firms often have a group responsible for these controls designs. If you are not into controls, another option would be design build firms. They often need their engineers to be hands on in the field and figure out the most cost effective way to get the client what they need and make sure it works. Good luck.

Most (95%+) of my work is at a desk, with the rest being more of field observations (ex: replacing transformer, does the new one fit in the same footprint, etc)

Tests are done by technicians, or outside company technicians. Most of the design work that I do involves purchasing components or systems from vendors, and then evaluating their use for the given application. I may see the product when it comes in, but no tinkering.

My fear is that if I do end up finding a hands on type of position later, I would not be viewed as a prime candidate due to my lack of hands on experience.

I can definitely sympathize with your statement. I work as an electrical engineer at a regional transmission organization, and most of my work is simply running studies. I would prefer to have a job that is 5050 some hands-on work, and some design work at a desk. However, after nine years of doing what I do, I am afraid it is too late for me to transition. I did a brief stintin consulting, but being an EI at the time the pay was lower than what I made before I came to consulting. I eventually went back to what I know. I dont know if it's better to stay where I am or make a move. Just feel like Iam not doing real engineering. What do y'all think?

Back