GRE exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went mechanical, simply because I was afraid of stormwater modeling. It is the Chuck Norris of engineering specialties.
I was thinking about applying to Univ of Cal Berkley and claiming I have developed a GEM that includes an animated clip of stormwater flow.

Do you think that would qualify me for instant admission + full scholarship?? :)

This thread has really traveled a circuitous path!
I am doing my part to continue the tortuosity of the pathway! :thumbs: :bananalama:

JR

I have no freaking clue what I scored on the GRE when I took it. All I knew was that I had to take it to get into grad school at Auburn. I think that it was merely a requirement, and they did not look closely at the scores.

I do recall not scoring very well, but who really cares? I have the degree now.

I was thinking about applying to Univ of Cal Berkley and claiming I have developed a GEM that includes an animated clip of stormwater flow.
Do you think that would qualify me for instant admission + full scholarship?? :)
Are you kidding!? They'll probably endow a chair at the university for you.

Maybe I shouldn't use the word "endow" with PE-Ness and Testee hanging around.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Why? :dunno:

I took the GRE in 1999, by computer. I liked the computer exam because the results were instant, but I got that nagging feeling that I was screwing up because of questions that seemed "easy" to me. I don't remember my scores anymore, but just like benbo, my math scores weren't so hot - I also tend to make a lot of simple errors with math, which is why I always triple-check anything I do for real. I can't remember the scores anymore, but I do remember receiving a perfect, or nearly perfect (99 point something percentile) score on "analytical", which cracked me up because the GRE is supposed to be a test that you "can't study for", but I did exactly that - I bombed analytical on my first practice exam, so I practiced it for two or three weeks prior to the exam, and aced it (couldn't improve my math score, though).

I took the GRE shortly after I passed the EIT. I took the paper version to meet admission requirement, so I didn't care how I did.

Once you have a taste of the PE exam, nothing else come close.

GRE is like the SAT.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that bombed verbal- 790 math, 780 analytical, 540 verbal. It was hard! I'm a little pissed that I didn't do better on the other two- they were stupid easy.

One of the perks of the new position I will be moving into is how close it is to a university (UAH) that offers an engineering PhD program.
After some consideration, I decided to give the Applied Math doctoral program a try at UAH. My biggest regret in undergrad was not doing enough Math, so this gives me a chance to make that right. Also part of the program requires 6 courses in another science or engineering field. Since there are exactly 6 courses in the RAM block that works out really well.

The systems engineering programs really didn't offer a concentration in any particular area (outside the dissertation); after my MBA, I want depth in a program more than breadth.

The only downside is I have 3 undergrad prerequisites before I can start working on the PhD's 54 hours + dissertation. I'm planning on finishing them by Christmas.

Is anyone aware of how the GRE is supposed to be structured now? Supposedly they were making changes for '09, which is why I held off on buying any of the study guides.

I took the GRE last week, and got 790 Quantitative and 390 Verbal. The vocabularies were ridiculous and the reading comprehension was a bunch of nonsense. I'm pondering whether to take the exam again or not :(

I took the GRE last week, and got 790 Quantitative and 390 Verbal. The vocabularies were ridiculous and the reading comprehension was a bunch of nonsense. I'm pondering whether to take the exam again or not :(
THat's a great math score. I think it depends on where you want to go.

A lot of engineering schools don't care that much about the verbal, and the average verbal at even the top engineering schools is not much over 500. I think it is because of so many foreign born engineers.

You could probably improve your verbal score by spending some time memorizing some words and with a little luck, but it might not matter that much how high that score is.

You could probably improve your verbal score by spending some time memorizing some words and with a little luck, but it might not matter that much how high that score is.
I took a 1 credit class my last semester in college that was basically a prep class for the verbal part of the GRE. Classic civilization 100, it was totally online and we met 4 time to take tests. Basically all memorization of word roots and their meaning.

I'm thinking about taking the GMAT some time soon and getting off my ass to start an MBA. The University of South Carolina has a top notch international MBA program and I can do it while I'm working. Does anyone have any experience with the GMAT?

I took the GMAT a few years ago, before I got my MBA. I wouldn't sweat it. It was more like a formality. I can't remember what I made, but I do remember not studying. Its a basic verbal/math/analytical skills test, so you don't need to know specific business principles info or anything like that. However, the MBA program I did probably didn't have the admission requirements that USuC's does.

I'm thinking about taking the GMAT some time soon and getting off my ass to start an MBA. The University of South Carolina has a top notch international MBA program and I can do it while I'm working. Does anyone have any experience with the GMAT?
I took the GMAT many years ago. It was easier to me than the GRE. I won't go into my scores but they were pretty good, and I didn't study and I'm no genius. You should certainly be able to ace the math.

When I took them, the tests were normal scantron type, and I think the GMAT actually had an essay , but I don't know about now.

I think both tests are now CAT - meaning your score range is pretty much set in the first third of the test, so you want to start strong.

GRE is pretty easy exam for an engineer. The math portion is simple college algebra, trig, geometry. The verbal portion was pretty straight forward.

Check out the MIT admissions website:
http://web.mit.edu/admissions/graduate/pdf...rtment_info.pdf

EECS (Electrical Engineering & Computer Science, page 8) doesn't need GRE! My guess is they look at letters of recommendation, GPA, reputation of undergraduate school etc.
I'm not really sure what your point is. Nobody is talking specifically about applying to EECS at MIT. We are talking about the quality of GRE scores. I just mentioned MIT as an example of a top school. I didn't expect somebody to fine tooth comb their admissions requirements.

Plus, who said anything about electrical engineering. I think SSmith is an industrial engineer. I don't even know if MIT has that department.

But according to the thing you posted every other engineering discipline requires the GRE

For example, most people on this website are civil engineers. MIT requires the test for this -

http://cee.mit.edu/index.pl?iid=4455#tests

I could find the ranking website to support my statement about SSmiths quantitative score being top-notch, but I don't think that's necessary. I mean, you can't really do much better than 790.

Well, just in case-

http://www.universityportal.net/2008/04/am...ngineering.html

http://post-gre.blogspot.com/2007/06/top-5...schools-us.html
I went to MIT as an undergrad. There is no industrial engineering department. Industrial engineering falls under the Sloan School of Management which also includes program in Operations Research.

For what it is worth a lot of schools only require GRE for foreign graduate students. I took it in 1999 and can't remember exactly what I got. It was something like 700+ verbal, 760math and a quantitative that for the life of me I can't remember.

I had 780 math, 750 analytical and 560 verbal - the 780 seemed almost pedestrian in my program - I know at least 5 who had a perfect on the math. I thought I had the perfect on the math myself, but obviously no.
I've always done well at standardized tests. One of the benefits of being a white middle class male I suppose.
as i know, you'll still make it to 800 as long as u got 3 or less answers wrong. 2~3% of all GRE takers will have 800 in quantity.

Back