Free standing beam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sab35263

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm trying to understand a problem in my concrete class. The problem states: "a free standing beam except for being fixed at each ends from any rotation, must carry a mid span live load of 35 kips." Is the free standing beam should be analyzed as a simply supported beam with a live load in the middle and the dead load as uniform(beam's dead load)? I'm I right?

Hey guys,
I'm trying to understand a problem in my concrete class. The problem states: "a free standing beam except for being fixed at each ends from any rotation, must carry a mid span live load of 35 kips." Is the free standing beam should be analyzed as a simply supported beam with a live load in the middle and the dead load as uniform(beam's dead load)? I'm I right?
I read the problem as a beam fixed at both ends (not simply-supported) with a concentrated live load mid span. Yes the dead load is the self weight of the beam and it would be a uniform load along the length of the beam.

Back