FPE Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How did the test go?
I felt pretty good after the test but now that I have had time to reflect, I am not so sure.

I did run a little short on time and had to guess on a couple of the questions that I knew would take me to long to solve.

Did you take the test?

I felt pretty good after the test but now that I have had time to reflect, I am not so sure.I did run a little short on time and had to guess on a couple of the questions that I knew would take me to long to solve.

Did you take the test?
Didn't take it this time. I am actually a civil engineer by trade thinking about taking the FPE exam. I am off to Dallas next week for the AFSA School. Hope its worth it. Did you ever go to this?

Didn't take it this time. I am actually a civil engineer by trade thinking about taking the FPE exam. I am off to Dallas next week for the AFSA School. Hope its worth it. Did you ever go to this?
No, Never have.

I did take the SFPE class prior to the test and that did help some.

The fire protection test requires a broad area of knowledge. That is why it has such a high failure rate. I think only 42% pass the first time and 34% pass the second time.

Good luck in Dallas.

The reason the failure rate is so high is because there is no good study material, the test it so broad, most people specialize in an area, and it is so code dependent. I got the SFPE study manual and materials, then got the MERM, and decided to go mechanical.

Plus, if you don't pass, you have to wait a year. Screw that.

The reason the failure rate is so high is because there is no good study material, the test it so broad, most people specialize in an area, and it is so code dependent. I got the SFPE study manual and materials, then got the MERM, and decided to go mechanical.
Plus, if you don't pass, you have to wait a year. Screw that.
Its a lot of effort but the pay off is good because you get one good PE to your name. The thing is that practicing Fire Protection Engineers tend to specilize in one area for most of their careers in this business.

Last edited:
Back