Ethics in engineerings

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

School of PE

EB Sponsor
Reaction score
Multi State with home office in Columbus, Ohio
Nearly every state requires to PEs maintain and improve their skills through continuing education courses. and most of those states require a certain number of hours on the topic of Ethics.  School of PE is your one-stop shop not only for Ethics but 100's of other applicable topics as well. We offer package pricing for not only individuals but corporations as well.  Check out out our website for details https://www.schoolofpe.com/pdh/

I wonder if anyone has ever run a study to see if people who took ethics were more ethical than ones who had not. Just curious. 

I was at a PMI luncheon earlier this week and and the speaker stated that her husband used to teach a college level ethics course, but quit treaching after coming to the conclusion that you can't teach somone college age ethics.  Either they are ethical or unethical by the time you are 18 and a class or training is not going to change that.

I know some state require ethics training, but if you think you should not do something, then don't do it.  If you feel you should report something, then you should probably report it.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I was at a PMI luncheon earier this week and and the speaker stated that her husband used to teach a college level ethics course, but quit treaching after coming to the conclusion that you can't teach somone college age ethics.  Either they are ethical or unethical by the time you are 18 and a class or training is not going to change that.

I know some state require ethics training, but if you think you should not do something, then don't do it.  If you feel you should report somehting, then you should probably report it.  
The problem is not everyone automatically knows what is ethical or unethical in the context of engineering or other business practices. 

The problem is not everyone automatically knows what is ethical or unethical in the context of engineering or other business practices. 
I understand, I just thought it was intertesting take on ethics.  IMHO, ethics training for for engineers and business is, in general,  to make sure you do the right thing in the "gray" areas that are not so clear.  

Back