Engineering Ethics - Did I overreact? underreact?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the course of action you took was correct except offering resignation. I would suggest just quietly updating your resume and start looking for another job without saying anything else whatsoever. I'm sure there's also somewhere in industry that you can file a formal grievance once you're out from under somebody's thumb and in a new role.

Here's a situation;

I was asked to sign/seal a set of drawings. I'm not a employee in a position that takes charge for work either.

I rejected sealing on several grounds. First, I'm not a subject matter expert of the type of design and calculations to be certified. Secondly, I don't have the license in that state. And third, told to 'relax' because 'we have insurance'.

I was further pressed that this 'had to be done' and to stop 'looking for attention'. In my opinion, this should be a question of why someone in a position that could take charge of the work doesn't have a PE and why this responsibility gets kicked down the road. Regardless, there's no way to force someone to sign and seal drawings.

I offered a resignation if I were to be further pressed. Ultimately, it's my reputation and livelihood at stake. This has received mixed feedback that I blew everything out of proportion and shouldn't have offered a resignation but instead used this as an opportunity to negotiate a promotion/raise/etc. Some have said I should have resigned on a spot and started searching for another job.
old post but I was just notified of this today. anyways, like what everyone was saying, even if you are expert on the subject, the fact that you are not licensed in that state then NO you can't stamp. this is basic knowledge that your firm should know. my source, I work for engineering firm and licensed in a few states.

Back