Competition

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sofia

Reaction score
The Festo Engineering Network Idea Contest seeks your ideas about key challenges of wafer based manufacturing in the field of photovoltaic.

Join the contest and share your ideas with the Festo Engineering Network community and industry experts.

Submit your idea, discuss and evaluate the ideas of other contestants and win amazing prizes. So far, only a few ideas were submitted, so when making a good idea, your chances of winning are very high!

In order to make good suggestions, you can see in the next paragraph about the problems of the individual processes.

Process Acidic

The overall challenge for the acidic texturisation is to find an optimal compromise between the low reflectance of a very rough surface and the good passivation properties of a smooth surface. If etched too roughly, the solar cell performance is limited by the high surface recombination velocity of the front surface. Too smooth surfaces limit the short circuit current due to the high reflectance.

Alkaline Texturisation

A high wafer throughput is desired for alkaline texturing processes. Therefore high etch rates and even higher process temperatures than 70°C are needed. Using IPA as an additive is not possible any more due to its low boiling point. Replacing the additive is an important step to decrease process times and to use inline texturing systems

Process Phosphorus Diffusion

Automation system for loading and unloading the wafers

Process PS Getch

An important wet chemical process step following the PSG etch is a short etch of the emitter in order to decrease the phosphor content at the wafer surface (dead layer) and therefore to decrease the surface recombination velocity.

Process Single Side Polish Etching

Wrap around, Replacement of HF

Process SiNx Arc v2 PECVD

All systems on the market are using special carriers to transport the samples in and out of the deposition chambers. Thus, an automation system is required that loads and unloads the carriers. Wafer breakage and limited throughput can be challenges. Since all major systems on the market are either PECVD or sputtering equipment, the deposition process itself is performed under vacuum conditions. The pressure difference between the process pressure and the ambience is another challenge leading to the grouping of the wafer flow within the production environment.

Process Screen Printing

Automated handling of thin wafers d<150µm, Breakage rate caused by mechanical stress during print process, Alignment to existing structures on wafer (selective emitter concepts, metal wrap-through, emitter wrap-through)

Process Fast Firing

During firing many processes are taking place. This makes this process powerful but also difficult to optimize since the individual processes which are taking place should be all optimized within the same process. Wafer bow is a challenge for thin wafers and firing furnace outlet automation.

Process Laser Edge Isolation UJ

Provide a cost effective process, Processing of one wafer in < 1 second, Removal of process dust to prevent contamination of process, Ensure precise calibration between vision and laser system for accurate wafer detection and accurate laser processing close to the environment and coverage of used optics substrate’s edge

Process solar cell testing and sorting

Automated handling and contacting of thin wafers d<150µm, Correct calibration of the flasher,

Automated contacting back contact cells

I'd say the key challenge in wafer based manufacturing is figuring out the correct ratio of crispy -vs- chewy so the wafers don't get too soggy when making banana pudding.

I'd say the key challenge in wafer based manufacturing is figuring out the correct ratio of crispy -vs- chewy so the wafers don't get too soggy when making banana pudding.
Post your idea on:

>http://fen.festo.com/

I agree to some extent, but I think the crucial challenge is optimising the thickness to maximize strength/weight ratio.

2qdmkop.jpg

Does only the "brick" part of the construction need to be edible, or does the "mortar" part need to be as well? I know the shear strength of frosting is very low.

Does only the "brick" part of the construction need to be edible, or does the "mortar" part need to be as well? I know the shear strength of frosting is very low.

I bet Fondant is far superior in terms of mechanical properties.

Im sure i can come up with some kind of peanut butter boding agent and use melted chocolate as a coating/sealant...

Im sure i can come up with some kind of peanut butter boding agent and use melted chocolate as a coating/sealant...
Ugh, no Nutty Buddies please. Those nasty things caused a chain reaction pukefest in my sister's first grade class.

Latest posts

Back