ACI Code and SDC

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOOK

Reaction score
ACI code. chapter 21 addressed many details to be followed for seismic loads. I did not find anything in the code about in which Seismic Design Category we should follow these requirements such as tie spacing in columns, hoops in beams, ....etc.

It is a common practice to use these requirements in SDC (D, E, and F) but I really did not find anything in the code clearly mentioned this.

Moreover, in ACI part 21.2.1.3 it is mentioned that in high seismic risk we should follow chapter 21. In part 21.2.1.2 the code also mentioned that in Low seismic and Intermediate seismic we should follow chapter 21 which may give an impression that we should follow chapter 21 starting from SDC (B).

ACI code. chapter 21 addressed many details to be followed for seismic loads. I did not find anything in the code about in which Seismic Design Category we should follow these requirements such as tie spacing in columns, hoops in beams, ....etc. It is a common practice to use these requirements in SDC (D, E, and F) but I really did not find anything in the code clearly mentioned this.

Moreover, in ACI part 21.2.1.3 it is mentioned that in high seismic risk we should follow chapter 21. In part 21.2.1.2 the code also mentioned that in Low seismic and Intermediate seismic we should follow chapter 21 which may give an impression that we should follow chapter 21 starting from SDC (B).
I belive the ACI covers this in 1.1.8.3 and the associated comentary...not sure if it helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back