3-Phase Power

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redskinsdb21

Reaction score
I asked a question similar to this earlier..but it was w/o a pf....I have a 19KVA load supplie by a 208/120, 4-wire, 3-phase, wye connected system....with a 0.85 pf....what is the current delivered to the load?

I know w/o a power factor....I = 19kva/(208*(sqrt(3)))= 52.7 amps..but how is it determined when a pf is involved?

Is it = 19Kva/(208*0.85*(sqrt(3))) ?

I think you have to learn the power triangle. If you review that, you will figure out that:

these formulas for 1 phase for simplicity. Multiply by sqrt 3 for 3 phase:

S(KVA)=V x I*

P(KW)= S x PF = V x I* x PF

it is crucial to have this concept cleared out prior the exam.

All the best.

Wael is right you need to learn what they are asking you for in this case the pf was given as extra info that you dont need. Suggest to have a review on 3 phase power. You need to have that very clear in order to succeed. A college book covering this would do the trick.

I think you have to learn the power triangle. If you review that, you will figure out that:

these formulas for 1 phase for simplicity. Multiply by sqrt 3 for 3 phase:

S(KVA)=V x I*

P(KW)= S x PF = V x I* x PF

it is crucial to have this concept cleared out prior the exam.

All the best.

For 3 phase then:

S = V x I* x sqrt(3)

P(KW)= S x PF = V x I* x PF x sqrt(3)

?

thats right !

In the above example, it says the load is 19 KVA.....is there a way to calculate the transformer KVA from the given information?

Also, for 3 phase transformers, can you calculate its S value from : S= 3 x phase voltage x phase current and for single phase for both WYE and DELTA systems?

Latest posts

Back