#1 ODB_PE

ODB_PE

I'm not an engineer, but I play one at work

• EB Supporting Member
  • 1,080 posts
  • Discipline:Structural

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:31 PM

Something doesn't add up:

I don't get to see many movies, but I still check out the showtimes.

There evidently is a new movie called "College Road Trip" and it is rated G

What's up with that?

Even Alvin and the Chipmunks is PG

#2 roadwreck

roadwreck

Probie-one, PE

• Moderators
  • 9,322 posts
  • Discipline:Sorely Lacking

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:40 PM

I wasn't familiar with the title (yes I was a bit worried what I might get back) and the very first review I saw started with this

Yes, you read the rating right: G. That's because it isn't "college road trip" as in college students having wild adventures on the road. It's "college road trip" as in an overprotective dad and his daughter taking a trip to check out the college of her choice.
http://www.tvguide.c...p/review/292653

So it seems you aren't alone in your thinking (scary thought huh?).

#3 ktulu

ktulu

Veteran

• Veteran
  • 2,768 posts
  • Discipline:Civil

Posted 12 March 2008 - 02:48 PM

I have a question:

If my desk top computer has a NIC, which I assume stands for Network Interface Card, does that mean all I need to become wireless is to buy the wireless router? My laptop is wireless ready.

#4 FusionWhite

FusionWhite

Epee ~)----- Fencer

• Charter Member
  • 2,488 posts
  • Discipline:Chemical

Posted 12 March 2008 - 02:56 PM

QUOTE (ktulu @ Mar 12 2008, 10:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a question:

If my desk top computer has a NIC, which I assume stands for Network Interface Card, does that mean all I need to become wireless is to buy the wireless router? My laptop is wireless ready.

Usually a NIC is a wired card, you would still need to buy a wireless card if for your desktop. However wireless routers have wired ports also so if your near the router jsut run a cable from you current NIC to the router (since your not likely to move the desktop much). If its not near the router a good wireless (get a USB version its much easier) adapter for $30-50 from any electronics store.

#5 ktulu

ktulu

Veteran

• Veteran
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 03:01 PM

Thanks FW. That's what I'll do, since the router will be right behind the desktop.

#6 sschell_PE

sschell_PE

Dude?

• Charter Member
  • 8,379 posts
  • Interests:80085
  • Discipline:Mechanical

Posted 12 March 2008 - 03:54 PM

Great Idea for a Thread ODB... in the absence of a 5000 thread, I have no place to express my most meaningless of thoughts.

Here's a good one:

Every morning when I get into work, I put a (room temperature) Monster drink in the freezer, that way when brake time rolls around, its nice and cold.
Yesterday I forgot. So at brake time I took my Monster dirnk out to the 5-ton-per-day Cryogenic plant we have running out in the test area, and set my drink on top of a pipe used to gas off the cryogens... COLD in seconds! It had chunks of ice forming on the outside (like a beer comercial) and was almost too cold to hold. AWESOME!!!

#7 NCcarguy

NCcarguy

Chief Engineer

• Supporting Member
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 04:05 PM

QUOTE (71salo @ Mar 10 2008, 01:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Am curious to know if anyone has contemplated going on their own after getting their stamp?

EVERY SINGLE DAY!

#8 Capt Worley PE

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep

• Charter Member
  • 24,276 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 04:35 PM

I haven't bought a stamp yet. No need.

#9 C-Dog

C-Dog

Principal in Charge

• Veteran
  • 474 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 04:46 PM

QUOTE (71salo @ Mar 12 2008, 11:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Am curious to know if anyone has contemplated going on their own after getting their stamp?

Yes, espeacially after days like yesterday and this morning. The question is how? Mrs. C-Dog, don't pull in enough to support me in the early days of 0 cash flow and from what I understand, those days can last up to 3 or more years!

#10 sschell_PE

sschell_PE

Dude?

• Charter Member
  • 8,379 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 05:31 PM

QUOTE (Captain Worley PE @ Mar 12 2008, 09:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I haven't bought a stamp yet. No need.

I got a stamp only because the Cali state borad says:

6764. Seal or stamp
Each professional engineer registered under this chapter shall, upon registration, obtain a seal or stamp of a design authorized by the board bearing the registrant’s name, number of his or her certificate or authority, the legend “professional engineer” and the designation of the particular branch or authority in which he or she is registered, and may bear the expiration date of the certificate or authority.

I am used to reading military contracts where "shall" means: do it or we cut your balls off...

#11 TouchDown

TouchDown

Is it Friday yet?

• EB Supporting Member
  • 3,613 posts
  • Interests:NASCAR, guitar, drinking.

Posted 12 March 2008 - 05:58 PM

Frankenstein never scared me.

Marsupials do!

Cause their FAST!

#12 Capt Worley PE

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep

• Charter Member
  • 24,276 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 06:05 PM

QUOTE (sschell_PE @ Mar 12 2008, 01:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I got a stamp only because the Cali state borad says:

I am used to reading military contracts where "shall" means: do it or we cut your balls off...

Aye-aye-aye!! Looks like I better get my order in. We're the same way.

#13 FusionWhite

FusionWhite

Epee ~)----- Fencer

• Charter Member
  • 2,488 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 06:29 PM

I was just told by my boss that I have 3 months to be completely up to speed and ready to handle projects. That was at the end of a meeting where so many acronyms flew over my head that I felt like I was swinging in alphabet soup. You know that feeling you get when your up shit creek without a paddle and you dont know WTF is going on? Yeah Ive got a lot of that going on right now.

It didnt help that in that meeting it became very clear that theres no way Ill be able to get off for the annual family vacation and that if we dont land a couple big projects that we're expecting we maybe over staffed which means some belt tightening.

I need a beer...

#14 sschell_PE

sschell_PE

Dude?

• Charter Member
  • 8,379 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 06:42 PM

what's with Ahmed20065??? he's got -1500 posts! how can one have negative posts?

AND there are well over 1000 members with no posts... just looking at emoticons?

#15 snickerd3

snickerd3

Taking suggestions

• Charter Member
  • 19,326 posts
  • Interests:spamming EB.com

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:28 PM

QUOTE (FusionWhite @ Mar 12 2008, 01:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was just told by my boss that I have 3 months to be completely up to speed and ready to handle projects. That was at the end of a meeting where so many acronyms flew over my head that I felt like I was swinging in alphabet soup. You know that feeling you get when your up shit creek without a paddle and you dont know WTF is going on? Yeah Ive got a lot of that going on right now.

It didnt help that in that meeting it became very clear that theres no way Ill be able to get off for the annual family vacation and that if we dont land a couple big projects that we're expecting we maybe over staffed which means some belt tightening.

I need a beer...

Maybe it just became the biennial vacation. The belt tightening kinda sucks since you just started.

#16 ktulu

ktulu

Veteran

• Veteran
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:32 PM

QUOTE (ktulu @ Mar 12 2008, 10:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks FW. That's what I'll do, since the router will be right behind the desktop.

So it turns out that the wireless router and my wireless entertainment speakers share the same frequency. Is there a way to switch channels on the speakers or router?

My speaker manual says that it looks for different channels if it senses interference, so should I just let it find its own channel?

#17 bigray76

bigray76

Food & Beverage Director

• Charter Member
  • 7,747 posts
  • Discipline:Construction

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:34 PM

My current employer and the most likely place I would go if I left make it tough to take time off. My schedule changes daily and with little redundancy in the staff, there is often no one who can fill in for me at certain meetings. The place I would likely go if I left here is a public works contractor and bids jobs weekly, if not more frequently than that. They are a lean and mean operation (the pay is very attractive, the lack of a life is not so attractive). The synergy for moving up the ranks and getting compensated for it is that with the more responsibility I have here, the less flexible my schedule can be... the only answer here is generally to book the vacation as early as possible so things can try to me moved around it (or bring the laptop and cell phone with you everywhere).

#18 MA_PE

MA_PE

engine near

• EB Supporting Member
  • 11,414 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:42 PM

QUOTE (ktulu @ Mar 10 2008, 06:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So it turns out that the wireless router and my wireless entertainment speakers share the same frequency. Is there a way to switch channels on the speakers or router?

My speaker manual says that it looks for different channels if it senses interference, so should I just let it find its own channel?

really? That's pretty wild. Did you see that on the specs? I'd have thought those frquencies would be standardized.

#19 ktulu

ktulu

Veteran

• Veteran
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:50 PM

QUOTE (MA_PE @ Mar 12 2008, 03:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
really? That's pretty wild. Did you see that on the specs? I'd have thought those frquencies would be standardized.

yeah, they both are 2.4Ghz. However, I have been connected now for about 45 minutes with no problems. Earlier, it would disconnect me after about 15-20 minutes.

Who knows??

EDIT: Now it's throwing me off regularly now. SHIT.

#20 benbo

benbo

Veteran

• Charter Member
  • 4,263 posts
  • Discipline:Electrical

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:55 PM

But was she AC Slatering?

Sheriff: Kansas Woman Sat On Toilet For 2 Years

WICHITA, Kan. -- Authorities in western Kansas said a woman who became stuck on her boyfriend's toilet while apparently sitting on it for two years is refusing to cooperate with medical workers at a Wichita hospital.

The Ness County Sheriff said the 35-year-old woman wasn't glued or tied, but became "physically stuck by her body." Sheriff Bryan Whipple said the police found the woman after her boyfriend called police late last month to report there was "something wrong" with her.

Whipple said the woman initially refused help, but was finally persuaded by emergency medical personnel and her boyfriend to go to a hospital. At that point, the sheriff said, responders pried the entire seat off the toilet. It was later removed from the woman's body at the hospital.

The boyfriend told investigators he had brought the woman food and water and asked her every day to come out of the bathroom. But he did not explain what took him so long to call for police.

Investigators will present a report to prosecutors who will determine whether any charges should be filed.

#21 frazil

frazil

Master of the Boondoggle

• Moderators
  • 6,612 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 09:00 PM

QUOTE (benbo @ Mar 12 2008, 04:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sheriff Bryan Whipple said the police found the woman after her boyfriend called police late last month to report there was "something wrong" with her.

^there's the understatement of the year....2 years???!!!!

#22 sschell_PE

sschell_PE

Dude?

• Charter Member
  • 8,379 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 09:08 PM

after two years on the can, what makes someone decide to call for help? did she light a match? how long did she sit before she was stuck? how long before she realized she was stuck? did they have two bathrooms? was she in the master bathroom?

I can keep going... I have many questions!!!

#23 FLBuff PE

FLBuff PE

Multi-disciplinary engineer

• Veteran
  • 10,127 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, skiing, homebrew, cooking

Posted 12 March 2008 - 09:10 PM

Does this make anyone else wonder where Fudgey's family is?

#24 squishles10

squishles10

CEO

• Veteran
  • 1,045 posts
  • Interests:Sudoku, crosswords, homebrewing, lava lamps, college football, and country music.

Posted 12 March 2008 - 09:16 PM

I have to go out in the field on friday and i was just given instructions on how to avoid snakes. texas sucks.

#25 snickerd3

snickerd3

Taking suggestions

• Charter Member
  • 19,326 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 09:18 PM

QUOTE (squishles10 @ Mar 12 2008, 04:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have to go out in the field on friday and i was just given instructions on how to avoid snakes. texas sucks.

I hate snakes in the outdoors because I don't know what kind they are, but I don't pass the opportunity to hold the smaller pet snakes like boas. I think if I know it can't kill me, then I'm fine with them.

#26 squishles10

squishles10

CEO

• Veteran
  • 1,045 posts
  • Interests:Sudoku, crosswords, homebrewing, lava lamps, college football, and country music.

Posted 12 March 2008 - 09:26 PM

QUOTE (snickerd3 @ Mar 12 2008, 04:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hate snakes in the outdoors because I don't know what kind they are, but I don't pass the opportunity to hold the smaller pet snakes like boas. I think if I know it can't kill me, then I'm fine with them.

Bossman "They should still be hibernating since it's cold, you'll be okay."

Me "It's supposed to be 90 on Friday"

Bossman: *Pause* "It takes them a few hours to wake up"

Me *freaks out*

#27 BluSkyy

BluSkyy

Don't censer on me...

• Veteran
  • 403 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 09:31 PM

QUOTE (squishles10 @ Mar 12 2008, 04:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

take a shotgun th_rockon.gif

#28 jregieng

jregieng

Ninjaneer !!!

• Moderators
  • 11,827 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 11:07 PM

My random thought for this afternoon:

I am sick - I appear to have caught my little nephews bug. sad.gif I haven't kept much down today, so I thought about cooking up some Cream of Wheat (Farina) - that always seems to do well by me.

As I was reading the variations of preparing the farina, I noted that you could substitute milk for water. Taking some inspiration from the Scotch Ramen exchange, I was wondering how substituting Baileys Irish Cream instead of milk would work?

Any thoughts?

JR

#29 NCcarguy

NCcarguy

Chief Engineer

• Supporting Member
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 12:26 AM

QUOTE (squishles10 @ Mar 10 2008, 07:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bossman "They should still be hibernating since it's cold, you'll be okay."

Me "It's supposed to be 90 on Friday"

Me *freaks out*

If you do see one, just start stomping on his tail!

#30 Dleg

Dleg

Veteran

• EB Supporting Member
  • 14,340 posts
  • Discipline:Enviro

Posted 13 March 2008 - 12:56 AM

QUOTE (TouchDown @ Mar 13 2008, 03:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Frankenstein never scared me.

Marsupials do!

Cause their FAST!

Somebody's been watching kids movies lately. "The Wild?"

#31 frazil

frazil

Master of the Boondoggle

• Moderators
  • 6,612 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 01:01 AM

QUOTE (jregieng @ Mar 12 2008, 07:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am sick - I appear to have caught my little nephews bug. sad.gif I haven't kept much down today, so I thought about cooking up some Cream of Wheat (Farina) - that always seems to do well by me.

As I was reading the variations of preparing the farina, I noted that you could substitute milk for water. Taking some inspiration from the Scotch Ramen exchange, I was wondering how substituting Baileys Irish Cream instead of milk would work?

Any thoughts?

JR

Try it. What have you got to lose? Just some cream of wheat and some baileys.

#32 TouchDown

TouchDown

Is it Friday yet?

• EB Supporting Member
  • 3,613 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 01:35 AM

Yeah, until you get WARM, or they have been laying on a rock to warm up, they will be

S L O WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

#33 Dleg

Dleg

Veteran

• EB Supporting Member
  • 14,340 posts
  • Discipline:Enviro

Posted 13 March 2008 - 03:09 AM

Rattlers always warn you first, right? So what's the big deal?

wink.gif

#34 sschell_PE

sschell_PE

Dude?

• Charter Member
  • 8,379 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 04:17 AM

QUOTE (jregieng @ Mar 12 2008, 03:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Any thoughts?

JR

I say try it and report back...

Like Fraz said.. what do you have to lose? youre already sick right?

#35 VTEnviro

VTEnviro

I'm Coming Back

• Admin
  • 1,024,469 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 12:10 PM

Sheriff Bryan Whipple said the police found the woman after her boyfriend called police late last month to report there was "something wrong" with her.

I wonder if he told her not to squeeze the Charmin?

#36 bigray76

bigray76

Food & Beverage Director

• Charter Member
  • 7,747 posts
  • Discipline:Construction

Posted 13 March 2008 - 12:14 PM

QUOTE (squishles10 @ Mar 12 2008, 05:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Snakes? We consider most of our purchasing agents to be snakes.

Speaking of snakes, I have what should be my last meeting with the pharma client from hell this afternoon to do a final review of a $60M budget. Things have been too quiet this week... they may attack hard this afternoon!

#37 ktulu

ktulu

Veteran

• Veteran
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 01:27 PM

QUOTE (benbo @ Mar 12 2008, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Investigators will present a report to prosecutors who will determine whether any charges should be filed.

What would the charges be???

#38 roadwreck

roadwreck

Probie-one, PE

• Moderators
  • 9,322 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 01:49 PM

QUOTE (squishles10 @ Mar 12 2008, 05:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Camping in Texas is fun though, especially when you come back to your tent and a coral snake slithers out of it. smile.gif
Just remember red and black, friend of Jack. Red and yellow kills a fellow. Now that you got that down you only need to worry about the rattlers, copperheads and water moccasins.

Good luck!

#39 sschell_PE

sschell_PE

Dude?

• Charter Member
  • 8,379 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 02:56 PM

QUOTE (ktulu @ Mar 13 2008, 06:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What would the charges be???

wrongful imprisonment?

either that or running out of TP...

#40 ktulu

ktulu

Veteran

• Veteran
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 04:00 PM

What's the best way to reheat spaghetti?

#41 roadwreck

roadwreck

Probie-one, PE

• Moderators
  • 9,322 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 04:08 PM

QUOTE (ktulu @ Mar 13 2008, 12:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

tied to a straightened coat hanger over an open flame.
  • Krakosky likes this

#42 FusionWhite

FusionWhite

Epee ~)----- Fencer

• Charter Member
  • 2,488 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 04:24 PM

QUOTE (ktulu @ Mar 13 2008, 12:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Microwave for 2 minutes stirring every 30 seconds to ensure proper heating distribution.

My thought for the day is that I ate WAY too much for lunch. I went to the Hooters down the street from my office and destroyed a plate of wings, fries, 3 glasses of ice tea and chased it with a giant wedge of chocolate cake. I feel so bloated right now...

#43 TouchDown

TouchDown

Is it Friday yet?

• EB Supporting Member
  • 3,613 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 04:32 PM

Random Thoughts for the day:

Jessica Alba

Midget Jello wrestling

Dogs playing poker

Funny ringtones for your phone

Do you know someone with verbal diahrea

#44 ODB_PE

ODB_PE

I'm not an engineer, but I play one at work

• EB Supporting Member
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 04:53 PM

QUOTE (ktulu @ Mar 13 2008, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Using a double boiler, warm the spaghetti for 20-30 minutes. Add a 1/4 cup of beef broth to the spaghetti during the reheating, and drain (and capture).

Use the beef broth to form a roux after sauteeing some garlic and onions. Thicken the roux with tomato paste.

Stir roux into warmed up spaghetti, and transfer into a baking dish.

Coarsely shred some pamagiano-reggiano and mozzarella over the dish and bake for 10 minutes. Transfer to broiler for final 5 minutes.

Transfer to plate and garnish with parsley and basil leaves.

enjoy.

OR,

Microwave, stir, repeat

#45 NCcarguy

NCcarguy

Chief Engineer

• Supporting Member
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 04:57 PM

How much will I be paying for gas in a couple of month's??? $3.75/gal $4.00/gal....more!??? It really makes me a bit nervous since I stop every other day to put gas in my car!!

I drive 110 miles round trip to work.

Would I look ghey.gif If I drove a Prius instead? <-- yea....never mind!

#46 benbo

benbo

Veteran

• Charter Member
  • 4,263 posts
  • Discipline:Electrical

Posted 13 March 2008 - 05:01 PM

QUOTE (NCcarguy @ Mar 11 2008, 02:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How much will I be paying for gas in a couple of month's??? $3.75/gal $4.00/gal....more!??? It really makes me a bit nervous since I stop every other day to put gas in my car!!

NCCARGuy in a Prius???!!!!!!

hung-037.gif

Next thing we'll see GTScott in a used Yugo.

#47 MA_PE

MA_PE

engine near

• EB Supporting Member
  • 11,414 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 05:17 PM

QUOTE (ktulu @ Mar 11 2008, 02:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is my understanding that microwaves "cook" by exciting the water molecules in the food. As such, microwaved (only not counting browining type microwave ovens) food can be heated above 212 deg F and as it heats it boils the water out of the food potentially making it dry. For this reason I often sprinkle a small amount if water over the top of the plate of cooked spaghetti prior to reheating it in the microwave. This keeps it moist and pliable. Also, as others have said stir it occassionally to get uniform heating.

#48 snickerd3

snickerd3

Taking suggestions

• Charter Member
  • 19,326 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 05:18 PM

QUOTE (NCcarguy @ Mar 13 2008, 11:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm at about 110 mile round trip too, but I usually only need to fill up every third day. Used to be everyother day... I traded the Blazer for the CRV about 1.5 yrs ago. I got the title papers this week, so it is officially MINE multiplespotting.gif

We have a couple Priuses as state vehicles...they are nice for the occasional drive, but I couldn't drive one all the time. A little too small for my liking.

#49 MA_PE

MA_PE

engine near

• EB Supporting Member
  • 11,414 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 05:19 PM

QUOTE (benbo @ Mar 11 2008, 03:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
NCCARGuy in a Prius???!!!!!!

hung-037.gif

Next thing we'll see GTScott in a used Yugo.

Knowing GT's penchant for Italian cars, I'd vote for a used Fiat

#50 sschell_PE

sschell_PE

Dude?

• Charter Member
  • 8,379 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 05:20 PM

QUOTE (NCcarguy @ Mar 13 2008, 09:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I got you beat by 80 miles round trip... lightweight!

I could drive a Pious and still have the carbon footprint of a tyrannosaurus... Don't get me started on gas $!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

=