#1 Dark Knight

Dark Knight

Silent Guardian

• EB Supporting Member
  • 8,188 posts
  • Discipline:Sorely Lacking

Posted 15 February 2007 - 01:14 PM

Mod Squad,

I was going to name this topic P.E.s in Exile but then I realized that there might be EITs also. I want to suggest a Sub-Forum where we can go and post a message of support to our brothers serving offshore, name it Iraq or Afghanistan, etc. With Don leaving soon we will have two members of this Board, as far as I know, deployed. I think is a nice way to show our appreciation. Would like to ask, if this can be done, for everybody to avoid posting other things but messages of support to these brave friends. There is plenty of room in this Board to post about other things. Let this Sub-Forum be exclusively to support our Engineers/Soldiers. :wacko:

Luis "Rattlesnake"

#2 Road Guy

Road Guy

35 years and a wakeup

• Admin
  • 18,475 posts
  • Interests:Yoga Pants, Ski!, SCUBA, Backpacking, Kicking Ass, etc
  • Discipline:Construction

Posted 16 February 2007 - 02:19 PM

I think them guys know we support them, I am all in favor of making a stickey thread in shoot the breeze where we can show our appreciation!

someone make it and I'll pin it!

#3 TouchDown

TouchDown

Is it Friday yet?

• EB Supporting Member
  • 3,614 posts
  • Interests:NASCAR, guitar, drinking.
  • Discipline:Mechanical

Posted 16 February 2007 - 07:30 PM

Give 'em hell boys. Your dedication and support to your country allows all of us to remain free. I think about the trials you must face daily, and know that I'm safe because of your choice to defend our great country. God's speed gentlemen, and come home safe!

#4 Guest_3gorgesdam_*

Guest_3gorgesdam_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2007 - 10:03 PM

Does "supporting the troops" mean " supporting the war"? How do you distinguish the difference? Not that I have a strong opinion either way.

#5 jregieng

jregieng

Ninjaneer !!!

• Moderators
  • 11,839 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 06:04 AM

Let's hear it for Seajay, made contact with him today, he is also a PE in exile.

:multiplespotting: :appl: :thumbs: :woot: :bananalama:

JR

#6 Guest_Recondo_*

Guest_Recondo_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2007 - 08:38 AM

Hang in there guys!

Stay sharp and be on your toes. Operation Iraqi Freedom is at a pivotal stage now, so you guys there are setting the stage for the future. Not sure what capacity ya'll are serving, whether combat engineering, PRT, or facilities support, but engineers without a doubt are among the hardest workers there. So during your downtime, when you get tired of the KBR SOS chow and done all the MWR & USO functions, the website has got alot to offer towards stimulating your mind and giving a chance to help others!

#7 Road Guy

Road Guy

35 years and a wakeup

• Admin
  • 18,475 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 12:50 PM

tell seajay we said hello!

& yes we are not really worthy enough to post in this thread and tell you thanks!

#8 Dark Knight

Dark Knight

Silent Guardian

• EB Supporting Member
  • 8,188 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 02:57 PM

tell seajay we said hello!

& yes we are not really worthy enough to post in this thread and tell you thanks!

Well said RG. Nothing said, or to be said here, will be enough to express our gratitude and how important you are for us as a Nation.

SeaJay: I have not interact too much with you but want to let you know I will include you and your family in our prayers as well as Don's and Sapper's. :thumbs:

#9 Dleg

Dleg

Veteran

• EB Supporting Member
  • 14,832 posts
  • Discipline:Enviro

Posted 20 February 2007 - 03:40 AM

Exactly! I have no idea what to say except to be safe & kick some ass, but above all - be safe.

#10 Guest_MetroRAFB_*

Guest_MetroRAFB_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2007 - 08:30 PM

Does "supporting the troops" mean " supporting the war"? How do you distinguish the difference? Not that I have a strong opinion either way.

Not necessarily. In this country, as in yours, the troops don't have a choice about going to war. The CIC says "go" and they say "Yes Sir!". It is perfectly appropriate to show support for the troops themselves, even if you disagree with the war. They didn't make the decision for themselves to go to war because they thought it would be fun or glorious or whatever. The President sent them, and they go because it is their sworn duty, whether they like it or not. Imagine if you will that your brother was in the U.S. Army, and his unit gets called up for duty in Iraq. If you did not support the war itself, would you take it out on your brother? The only person that should be held responsible for the decision to go to war is the President, it's his call, not the troops'.

I happen to support the war, but I wish it was going smoother and that it was getting better press coverage. War's not an easy business though, I bet the Allies wished it went smoother during WWII also. This nation is at war with Muslim extremists whether or not the general public or a portion of the political leadership would like to admit it. The way I see it, we're fighting them in Iraq so we don't have to fight them here. I've got four young sons, and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if one or more of them join the military and carry on this fight 15 years from now, if not in Iraq then somewhere else.

Give 'em hell guys, and come home safely to your families and to your grateful nation.

#11 Bigwolf

Bigwolf

Shall I call you Logan, Weapon X???

• Veteran
  • 342 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 11:37 PM

YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!! :th_rockon:

;) :bananalama: :thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou:

#12 Freon

Freon

Vice President

• EB Supporting Member
  • 770 posts
  • Interests:Golf, bird hunting
  • Discipline:Military Engineer

Posted 21 February 2007 - 07:31 PM

Sapper,

I guess you are getting settled in by now. How is the route clearance business?

Freon

#13 ktulu

ktulu

Veteran

• Veteran
  • 2,813 posts
  • Discipline:Civil

Posted 22 February 2007 - 05:32 PM

I was sent this in an email today:

In case we find ourselves starting to believe all the anti-American sentiment and negativity, we should remember England's Prime Minister Tony Blair's words during a recent interview. When asked by one of his Parliament members why he believes so much in America, he said:

"A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many
want in... And how many want out."

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:

1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G. I.

One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Keep your head low, fellas. And remember, you always have someone(s) that appreciates what you are doing...

ktulu

#14 jregieng

jregieng

Ninjaneer !!!

• Moderators
  • 11,839 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 12:38 PM

I went to a presentation by a defense contractor a few nights ago. The presenter heads up the ethics office and most of her talking points were about ethics, but her roots were in security.

She said right now there are 16 active conflicts in which the the United States is engaged. Even though Iraq is up front and center stage getting most of the press, if that conflict were to go away, there would still be 15 conflicts.

It is staggering to think about how much our troops must give - not only those troops, but their family, friends, and community.

The work and sacrifice is very much appreciated for all of the conflicts around the world. Posted Image

JR

#15 Guest_screw_*

Guest_screw_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2007 - 01:42 AM

Not necessarily. In this country, as in yours, the troops don't have a choice about going to war. The CIC says "go" and they say "Yes Sir!". It is perfectly appropriate to show support for the troops themselves, even if you disagree with the war. They didn't make the decision for themselves to go to war because they thought it would be fun or glorious or whatever. The President sent them, and they go because it is their sworn duty, whether they like it or not. Imagine if you will that your brother was in the U.S. Army, and his unit gets called up for duty in Iraq. If you did not support the war itself, would you take it out on your brother? The only person that should be held responsible for the decision to go to war is the President, it's his call, not the troops'.

I happen to support the war, but I wish it was going smoother and that it was getting better press coverage. War's not an easy business though, I bet the Allies wished it went smoother during WWII also. This nation is at war with Muslim extremists whether or not the general public or a portion of the political leadership would like to admit it. The way I see it, we're fighting them in Iraq so we don't have to fight them here. I've got four young sons, and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if one or more of them join the military and carry on this fight 15 years from now, if not in Iraq then somewhere else.

Give 'em hell guys, and come home safely to your families and to your grateful nation.

:D
:appl:

Stay safe and get the job done! I'm behind you and behind the cause! :unitedstates:

#16 ktulu

ktulu

Veteran

• Veteran
  • 2,813 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 01:36 PM

As I was cleaning out my office, I found this poem and thought I should put it in here.....

"Eulogy for a Veteran"

Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not here, I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.

When you awaken in the morning's hush,
I am the swift uplifting rush
of quiet birds in circled flight,
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not here,
I did not die.

-Unknown

***Stay safe. We continue to pray for your safety.

Edited by ktulu, 10 May 2007 - 01:37 PM.

#17 Guest_kioti1_*

Guest_kioti1_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2007 - 10:52 PM

Hooorah!!!!!!

:thankyou:

#18 Guest_kathik_*

Guest_kathik_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2007 - 01:47 AM

unitedstates.gif I definitely support our men and women in the military!! My sister-in-law just headed to Iraq for 18 months and my brother heads out in August. They are "hoping" to be home by Christmas of 2008. unitedstates.gif We will be thinking about you all!! unitedstates.gif

#19 Guest_VA_Env_Engr_*

Guest_VA_Env_Engr_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2007 - 06:48 PM

The role our brethren play became especially clear on the 4th. You guys rock! th_rockon.gif . Kick some anti-US butts out there. unitedstates.gif

#20 maryannette

maryannette

Wise One

• Charter Member
  • 10,647 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 01:09 AM

I am so grateful to all those serving our country and their families. I have friends and family in military. I live in eastern NC, close to Camp Lejeune and Cherry Point. My prayers are with all of you. God bless you and your loved ones. You are all awesome.

#21 maryannette

maryannette

Wise One

• Charter Member
  • 10,647 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 02:14 AM

I'm in NC and it's late here, so I realized that the guys overseas are up really late. And I know you've got harder days and nights than I do. Take care and try to get enough rest. God bless you and keep you safe.

#22 maryannette

maryannette

Wise One

• Charter Member
  • 10,647 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 03:01 AM

Thanks, y'all, for all you do. unitedstates.gif

#23 maryannette

maryannette

Wise One

• Charter Member
  • 10,647 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 11:49 PM

I found this quote that reminds me that we should cherish the freedom and liberty that we so often take for granted and also cherish those who fight to protect our way of life. Thanks.
"Those who profess to favor freedom and yet depreciate agitation, are people who want crops without ploughing the ground; they want rain without thunder and lightning; they want the ocean without the roar of its many waters. The struggle may be a moral one, or it may be a physical one, or it may be both. But it must be a struggle. Power concedes nothing without a demand; it never has and it never will."
Frederick Douglass

#24 Guest_111_*

Guest_111_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2007 - 04:01 AM

QUOTE (SapperPE @ Jul 10 2007, 11:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What are you serving for? Our freedom?

Seems to be at a bit of a loss on this forum...if you know what I mean.

Sapper...you need to step up to the plate and deliver that home run. Do what you should be doing!

TM...soon to be banned for no good reason!

#25 Road Guy

Road Guy

35 years and a wakeup

• Admin
  • 18,475 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 04:32 AM

QUOTE (111 @ Jul 25 2007, 12:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sapper...you need to step up to the plate and deliver that home run. Do what you should be doing!

you make it very obvious that you have never spent a day in uniform

#26 jregieng

jregieng

Ninjaneer !!!

• Moderators
  • 11,839 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 06:29 AM

^^^ I second that statement. I would also add that he doesn't seem to understand words like honor, integrity, duty, commitment - these are things that our men and women in the armed forces live and breathe each and every day. Unlike TM the interloper who seems to have the answer to everything and duty to himself above everything else.

2cents.gif

JR

#27 Dark Knight

Dark Knight

Silent Guardian

• EB Supporting Member
  • 8,188 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 11:01 AM

"for no good reason!"....You just showed us the good reason TM. You have no respect nor decency.

How dare you to mix our troops mission with your egomaniac pretentions?

TMcK, for what it worth, I still had some kind of respect for you until now. You have no class and do not deserve to have the Engineer tittle.

I am very sorry about this Sapper. My apologies in behalf of all of us that support our Armed Forces.

#28 Flyer_PE

Flyer_PE

Jr. PE / Sr. Company Pilot

• Supporting Member
  • 8,970 posts
  • Interests:Anything loud and/or fast
  • Discipline:Electrical

Posted 25 July 2007 - 11:43 AM

QUOTE (111 @ Jul 24 2007, 11:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Being a fairly late arrival here, I wondered what that guy could have done to so completely piss off many members of this group. That was until I logged on this morning. This man has no shame.

Thank you Luis and JR for posting intelligent responses. I was reduced to swearing every other word and didn't want to post a profanity filled rant on this thread.

Jim

#29 maryannette

maryannette

Wise One

• Charter Member
  • 10,647 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 12:45 AM

The Essence of a Hero
"True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others whatever the cost."
I saw a poster on the wall of the gym this morning with this quote. I like it and thought it was appropriate to post here. Y'all are a class act in my book and have surpassed the integrity of those who criticize you.

#30 Undertaker

Undertaker

Dead Man Walking

• Veteran
  • 286 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 05:45 PM

How are you showing appreciation with that post?

QUOTE (maryannette @ Jul 26 2007, 08:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Essence of a Hero
"True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others whatever the cost."
I saw a poster on the wall of the gym this morning with this quote. I like it and thought it was appropriate to post here. Y'all are a class act in my book and have surpassed the integrity of those who criticize you.

Second that maryannette.I don't know how someone can enjoy the freedom and safety our troops supply and then question how they do it.Unless you wore an uniform before and served far away from home I suggest shut the hell up.

#31 Dark Knight

Dark Knight

Silent Guardian

• EB Supporting Member
  • 8,188 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 06:24 PM

UT,

I doubt that guy even wore a little league baseball uniform so take for what it worths. He was already disciplined and we should not worry about him anymore.

Poetic Justice: Sapper put the bann hammer on him.

#32 maryannette

maryannette

Wise One

• Charter Member
  • 10,647 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 12:59 AM

"We make war that we may live in peace."
Aristotle
Thanks to y'all who make my peace possible. unitedstates.gif

#33 IlPadrino

IlPadrino

Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,883 posts
  • Discipline:Military Engineer

Posted 30 July 2007 - 01:06 AM

Guys,

[That's gender neutral and include gals as well!]

If you'd like to show appreciation, why not do so with support? I'm sure Sapper could come up with a short list of things he or his troops could use. Don't necessarily believe some of the lists you find on the net.

Don't get me wrong... words of encouragement are great. But we all have the ability to make life a little bit better for our troops serving in harms way.

#34 maryannette

maryannette

Wise One

• Charter Member
  • 10,647 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 01:16 AM

QUOTE (IlPadrino @ Jul 29 2007, 09:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Guys,

[That's gender neutral and include gals as well!]

If you'd like to show appreciation, why not do so with support? I'm sure Sapper could come up with a short list of things he or his troops could use. Don't necessarily believe some of the lists you find on the net.

Don't get me wrong... words of encouragement are great. But we all have the ability to make life a little bit better for our troops serving in harms way.

Count me in!!! What do you guys need? And how can we get it to you?

#35 maryannette

maryannette

Wise One

• Charter Member
  • 10,647 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 02:01 AM

I can help. I don't know how long it takes to get there, but I'll get some stuff in the mail this week. unitedstates.gif

#36 jfusilloPE

jfusilloPE

Vice President

• Veteran
  • 778 posts
  • Discipline:Water Resources

Posted 31 July 2007 - 01:10 PM

QUOTE (SapperPE @ Jul 28 2007, 03:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Twizzlers (this is solely for me)

That's kind of funny to me. When we were in Somalia, we had nothing but Twizzlers. It was like all that whoever made that candy made and they shipped it over.

We even brought them home on our vehicles to pass out to the local schools because everyone was sick of them by that time.

I shit red for four months after redeployment.

#37 maryannette

maryannette

Wise One

• Charter Member
  • 10,647 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 12:15 AM

Hey Sapper, flat or fitted sheets or sets?

#38 maryannette

maryannette

Wise One

• Charter Member
  • 10,647 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 12:52 AM

It's the least I could do. Y'all are there for us. Thank you.

#39 bigray76

bigray76

Food & Beverage Director

• Charter Member
  • 7,747 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 10:25 PM

Sapper,

Any additions to your list of needs and/or is the address still the same? Wife and I want to send you guys a care package (no playing cards or porn, I promise).

-Ray

#40 bigray76

bigray76

Food & Beverage Director

• Charter Member
  • 7,747 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 11:50 AM

Sapper,

A friend of mine suggested sending over flea collars to put around your boots to keep the sand fleas away... any truth in that?

-Ray

#41 jregieng

jregieng

Ninjaneer !!!

• Moderators
  • 11,839 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 03:32 PM

^^^ It is IP banned from my terminal as well Sapper.

JR

#42 ktulu

ktulu

Veteran

• Veteran
  • 2,813 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 03:37 PM

They look like the slap bracelets from back in the day....

#43 maryannette

maryannette

Wise One

• Charter Member
  • 10,647 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 01:01 AM

"No one is free when others are oppressed."
Author unknown
unitedstates.gif
This says a lot to me. I value the freedoms that I have as an American and I cannot imagine being a citizen of a country which would value me less as a person because I am a woman.

#44 Guest_ClemsonEngr_*

Guest_ClemsonEngr_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2007 - 04:45 AM

Sapper,

New to the boards, and just found this thread. Can you still use some of the things on your list?

Thanks for being over there.

#45 testee

testee

supporting role

• 259 posts
  • Interests:hanging out
  • Discipline:Water Resources

Posted 10 November 2007 - 04:15 AM

Hey Sapper, I'll send a load your way!

#46 bigray76

bigray76

Food & Beverage Director

• Charter Member
  • 7,747 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 03:06 PM

QUOTE (SapperPE @ Nov 6 2007, 12:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It is always nice to get mail. I am fresh out of Twizzlers.

I am in the process of finding a box to put everything my wife and I collected in for you. Only other thing we need to do is find the box that we had a ton of paperback books (Grisham, Stephen King, Mario Puzo, etc.) in so you can have something to read... and my wife did buy enough Twizzlers that I won't be eating them all again.

-Ray

#47 cement

cement

In a meeting

• EB Supporting Member
  • 9,678 posts
  • Discipline:Transportation

Posted 12 November 2007 - 04:00 PM

ClemsonEngr, go to the post office and tell them you want to send a packaage to Iraq. they have a flat rate box that costs less than $10 to ship, and they will give that to you in advance to go fill up with stuff. unitedstates.gif

#48 maryannette

maryannette

Wise One

• Charter Member
  • 10,647 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 12:56 AM

QUOTE (Cement @ Nov 12 2007, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ClemsonEngr, go to the post office and tell them you want to send a packaage to Iraq. they have a flat rate box that costs less than $10 to ship, and they will give that to you in advance to go fill up with stuff. unitedstates.gif

That's what I have done. It's a very good deal if the package is more than a couple of pounds.

#49 cement

cement

In a meeting

• EB Supporting Member
  • 9,678 posts
  • Discipline:Transportation

Posted 02 December 2007 - 02:50 PM

QUOTE (SapperPE @ Jul 29 2007, 10:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My soldiers will be happy to recieve anything that you'd like to send. I have a few lists that I organize against most useful, most wanted, and please don't send.

MOST USEFUL (while they have these things in our PX, we have a very small PX and we are not often restocked):
Sheets (twin)
shaving cream / razors
toothpaste / tooth brushes (soft)
mouthwash
insect repellant
foot powder

MOST WANTED (Either we can't get these or they go quickly)
Candy (nothing chocolate, it will be very squishy by the time we get it)
Magazines (no Porn which includes Playboy, but Maxim and FHM is appropriate)
Movies / DVD's (the previously viewed $4.99 movies from blockbuster are easy on the pocket but give us some variety)
Paperback books (we have plenty of romance novels that sit at the MWR unread, but not many good guy type books)
Pringles potato chips / Doritos potato chips (these actually travel pretty well)
cool aid mixers / crystal light mixers / gatorade mixers / country time lemonade mixers
Pop Tarts
Twizzlers (this is solely for me)
Microwavable popcorn (these are a big hit)
copenhagen, skoal, marlboro, camels (I have quit, but many soldiers would kill for fresh tobacco products)

PLEASE DO NOT SEND (Either we have plenty or we aren't allowed)
Porn (we aren't allowed)
Alcohol (we aren't allowed)
guns / ammo (we aren't allowed)
Calling cards (most folks have a plan in place through AT&T or Verizon and calling cards tend to stack up unused)
playing cards (there are more playing cards in Iraq than in Vegas, we simply don't need them)
Girl Scout Cookies (we love them just like ya'll do, but we have three troops that hooked us up 6 months ago and the cookies still aren't gone)

You can send stuff to:

Commander
A / 116th BSTB
Camp Cedar II
APO AE 09331

Thanks for all the support!

bump.gif

#50 Dark Knight

Dark Knight

Silent Guardian

• EB Supporting Member
  • 8,188 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 03:20 PM

^^^^Thanks Cement.

I was going to look for this post since I am preparing something.You just made it easy for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

=