4 replies to this topic

#1 hank89

hank89

Intern

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Discipline:Structural

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:11 PM

What are you guys using for d or d sub v for the shear stress of a masonry wall. fv = V/(b*d sub v)?

SERM and 2006 structural seismic uses the total wall width. (d sub v)
Susan Frey and an old NCEES Structural II practice exam use d (depth to reinforcing)

Thanks!

#2 McEngr

McEngr

Chief Engineer

• Charter Member
  • 1,251 posts
  • Interests:5k, 10k, 13.1, 26.2, Taylor Guitars, College Football

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:10 PM

Trust Sue Frey

#3 dakota_79

dakota_79

Project Manager

• 122 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:24 PM

Yeah, based on the MSJC commentary to section 2.3.5, I agree with the latter. Although shear is resisted either by masonry or by steel, not both in combination, the reminder that a wall subject to in-plane flexure assumes the tension side is cracked. So even when ignoring the horiz bars for shear strength, the effective depth should still be closely approximated by depth of reinforcement, since that is approximately the depth between tension cracks where masonry is available to resist the shear.

Additionally, note that the MSJC explicitly uses the d term, not dv, in the shear stress calc (even though it does define dv in the notation section).

Either way, the difference is fairly minimal unless the wall is not long, so I'd err on the side of being slightly conservative and using the reinforcement depth.

#4 hank89

hank89

Intern

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:38 PM

Thanks!

#5 CRNewsom

CRNewsom

Project Engineer

• 59 posts
  • Interests:API tanks, ASME pressure vessels

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:23 PM

Trust Sue Frey

This may very well be the best advice ever given in reference to masonry design. I took the Kaplan review course and I am absolutely in awe of Sue Frey. If I were anywhere near where she teaches, I would take every class she taught.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

=