442 replies to this topic

#401 LRFD

LRFD

Intern

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Discipline:Civil

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:10 AM

Didnt get my certificate here in LA today. Anyone else still waiting?

#402 Trev... P.E.

Trev... P.E.

Pump it up!

• 239 posts
  • Discipline:Mechanical

Posted 14 January 2012 - 05:15 AM

Nothing yet. But I had a change of address that went unopened after my application. So I imagine it's somewhere in UPS NY being redirected. Got my walet card today though.

#403 youngeng

youngeng

Intern

• 39 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 05:37 AM

Got another pass letter today, with a note fom the state saying hat they are amending the date of which I passed he exam. Oct verse Dec. at first I thought it was going to be a notice requesting a renewal fee.

#404 Cali Logos II

Cali Logos II

Intern

• EB.com member
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:00 PM

I still have not received my pass/fail letters for the CA Civil Seismic and Surveying exams. Last Wednesday, I called the Board and was directed to a Board phone extension based on the first letter of my last name, and I left a voice message. I did obtain a Board contact email address and sent an email. I have not received a reply phone call or email from the Board. My name has not been included in the Board license database during their past few recent updates. So, I'm guessing I've failed one or both of the exams. Like I have asked during one of my previous posts, is anybody else experiencing something similar?

#405 lando83002

lando83002

Intern

• 36 posts
  • Discipline:Electrical

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:29 AM

I just got my Pocket Certificate and it says that I need to laminate it and carry it with me at all times. Are they serious?! Is anyone actually planning on carrying this thing around with them at all times? They could have at least made it the size of a credit card so that it could fit in a wallet.

#406 SoCalEE

SoCalEE

Intern

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:51 AM

I received the wall certificate on January 12 and the Pocket Certificate today, January 14.

#407 ptatohed

ptatohed

Chief Engineer

• Supporting Member
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 05:07 AM

Nothing yet. But I had a change of address that went unopened after my application. So I imagine it's somewhere in UPS NY being redirected. Got my walet card today though.

I just got my Pocket Certificate and it says that I need to laminate it and carry it with me at all times. Are they serious?! Is anyone actually planning on carrying this thing around with them at all times? They could have at least made it the size of a credit card so that it could fit in a wallet.

I received the wall certificate on January 12 and the Pocket Certificate today, January 14.

So are these wallet cards just for Electrical because I didn't get one and only EEs have mentioned receiving one so far. Or do CEs get them to? And are they the same as this:
http://www.pels.ca.g...card_info.shtml

#408 lando83002

lando83002

Intern

• 36 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:41 AM

So are these wallet cards just for Electrical because I didn't get one and only EEs have mentioned receiving one so far. Or do CEs get them to? And are they the same as this: http://www.pels.ca.g...card_info.shtml

The pocket certificates came in a separate envelope so it may just be that they haven't sent them out for the CEs yet. The link you provided explains why they are so cheap. It has an expiration date on it so we get a new one each time we renew. This is our proof that our license is current.

#409 Trev... P.E.

Trev... P.E.

Pump it up!

• 239 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:06 PM

PE's I know elsewhere have a little 8.5x5.5 certificate showing their license is valid, i think this card is the CA version. I'll probably just leave it in my desk somewhere, I try to keep my wallet light. Can't imagine needing to prove my license in the field ...

#410 lando83002

lando83002

Intern

• 36 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:52 PM

PE's I know elsewhere have a little 8.5x5.5 certificate showing their license is valid, i think this card is the CA version. I'll probably just leave it in my desk somewhere, I try to keep my wallet light. Can't imagine needing to prove my license in the field ...

The board provides us with a frameable certificate (without an expiration date) and a portable license (with an expiration). We are required to keep the license with us at all times (I heard about someone that was audited and was reported for not having his license with him at the time).

The board used to provide nice credit card style plastic licenses, but in order to save money they now give us an oddly shaped piece of paper and ask us to laminate it ourselves.

It's up to you weather or not you will always carry it, but technically we are supposed to keep it with us at all times.

#411 Trev... P.E.

Trev... P.E.

Pump it up!

• 239 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:06 PM

Seems like something they could have people opt-into. Like pay an extra $5 or something.

#412 lando83002

lando83002

Intern

• 36 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:16 PM

Seems like something they could have people opt-into. Like pay an extra $5 or something.

I'm not sure what the selling point was on their decision, but it was a bad one. I don't think anyone would mind a slight increase in their renewal fees to cover the rising cost of plastic.

#413 youngeng

youngeng

Intern

• 39 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:57 AM

Got my pocket card in the mail today, bay area

#414 Chris Cat

Chris Cat

Intern

• 43 posts
  • Discipline:Construction

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:33 PM

I wonder if Napoleon Bonaparte used a pocket card? Probably.

Yet, another reason why normal girls could never take engineers seriously.

#415 YMZ PE

YMZ PE

Unsanitary Engineer

• Admin
  • 4,604 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:17 PM

I wonder if Napoleon Bonaparte used a pocket card? Probably.

Yet, another reason why normal girls could never take engineers seriously.

If you're showing girls your pocket card as a way of trying to pick them up, I don't think the card is the problem. :D

#416 Trev... P.E.

Trev... P.E.

Pump it up!

• 239 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:07 PM

Certificate finally showed up today!

#417 ptatohed

ptatohed

Chief Engineer

• Supporting Member
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:52 PM

This past week I received my wallet card (paper) and a separate pass letter with a little blue paper insert instructing me to replace my previous pass letter. The first pass letter states I passed the "December" exam and the corrected letter states the October exam.

#418 youngeng

youngeng

Intern

• 39 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 04:50 AM

Does anyone know when the renewal letters will be issued?

#419 ptatohed

ptatohed

Chief Engineer

• Supporting Member
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:06 PM

So have you guys (who passed) :
1.) Celebrated?
2.) Sent out thank you letters to your references?
3.) Framed your certificates?
4.) Anything else I missed?

For me:
1.) Yes! Went to Vegas with my wife (and no baby) this past weekend! It was a blast.
2.) Done a few weeks ago.
3.) Finally bought my supplies from Michael's last week and am in the process of putting it together.
4.) ?

#420 lando83002

lando83002

Intern

• 36 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:15 PM

1.) Took a week off of work and enjoyed the free time with my wife. I especially enjoyed not studying.
2.) Sent them out the day I found out I passed.
3.) Got three frames from Aaron Brothers a couple weeks ago. One for me B.S., one for my PE Certificate, and one for my future M.Eng. The B.S. and Certificate are hanging up in my office. It's nice to see the B.S. finally out of the file cabinet.
4.) Ordered new business cards with the P.E. designation after my name.

#421 Trev... P.E.

Trev... P.E.

Pump it up!

• 239 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:53 AM

So have you guys (who passed) :
1.) You betcha
2.) Yep, sent a couple of movie tickets and sealed the envelope with my stamp :)
3.) Yep, got a nice one off Amazon for $20 or so, fake wood, but looks alright with the matting. http://www.amazon.co...uct/B001B0BBAQ/
4.) Thinking about how to ask for more money & time off, probably a discussion for next month when i meet with one of the big wigs out of town.

#422 Trev... P.E.

Trev... P.E.

Pump it up!

• 239 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:02 AM

To add another #4, I just tallied up all of my costs (less books sold) so far to be a P.E. including the EIT... Couple of bucks shy of $1,200.

#423 LRFD

LRFD

Intern

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:56 AM

Still waiting on my full size certificate...I called the board last week and they said it was issued on the 21st and I should expect it within 2 weeks. She had no idea why there was a delay on mine!

#424 ptatohed

ptatohed

Chief Engineer

• Supporting Member
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:49 PM

My framed cert. :)

http://engineerboard...showtopic=18334
  • Wildsoldier PE likes this

#425 structuraleit

structuraleit

Intern

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:34 PM

Has anyone received a notice for license renewal? My license expiration date is March 31st, 2012 and the board did mention about notices being sent out 60 days prior the expiration date. Well it's been a little into the 60 day period, and I've received nothing so far. Just wondering did anyone else experienced something different.

#426 Chris Cat

Chris Cat

Intern

• 43 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:56 AM

Me Neither.

#427 ptatohed

ptatohed

Chief Engineer

• Supporting Member
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:17 PM

Negative here too.

#428 Wildsoldier PE

Wildsoldier PE

Principal in Charge

• 283 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:16 AM

My framed cert. :)

http://engineerboard...showtopic=18334

That certificate with the pencils below looks awesome!! Good job!

#429 lando83002

lando83002

Intern

• 36 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:23 PM

Has anyone received a notice for license renewal? My license expiration date is March 31st, 2012 and the board did mention about notices being sent out 60 days prior the expiration date. Well it's been a little into the 60 day period, and I've received nothing so far. Just wondering did anyone else experienced something different.

I got my renewal notice today. You have to pay the delinquent fee if postmarked after 5/30/12 so there's no rush.

#430 ptatohed

ptatohed

Chief Engineer

• Supporting Member
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:46 PM

I got my renewal notice today. You have to pay the delinquent fee if postmarked after 5/30/12 so there's no rush.

Mine came too.

#431 Chris Cat

Chris Cat

Intern

• 43 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:53 PM

I paid my $125 renewal fee, today.

#432 ptatohed

ptatohed

Chief Engineer

• Supporting Member
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:38 AM

I paid my $125 renewal fee, today.

I plan on having my employer pay mine.

#433 lando83002

lando83002

Intern

• 36 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:31 PM

Does California require Continuing Education in order to renew our licenses? There wasn't anything mentioned on my renewal form, but I always hear engineers talking about having to complete CE credits for their license.

#434 ptatohed

ptatohed

Chief Engineer

• Supporting Member
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:19 PM

Does California require Continuing Education in order to renew our licenses? There wasn't anything mentioned on my renewal form, but I always hear engineers talking about having to complete CE credits for their license.

No, not in CA (at least at this time).

#435 LRFD

LRFD

Intern

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:17 AM

I finally received my wall certificate in the mail today. Seems like everyone else got theirs 2 months ago. Not sure what took CA so long...

#436 SoCalEE

SoCalEE

Intern

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:18 AM

From the pels_ca_gov site on license renewal information: "If you do not pay your renewal fee by the expiration date, your license will be considered expired. It is illegal to practice, offer to practice, or use any restricted titles with an expired license, including during the grace period." You can now renew by credit card, so you can get your payment in up to the last minute. If you pay by mail, it takes several weeks for them to credit it. This is what happened to me, but I got it in a bit in advance so it was credited before 03/31/12 and now shows 03/31/14 as the expiration date.

#437 ptatohed

ptatohed

Chief Engineer

• Supporting Member
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:50 AM

From the pels_ca_gov site on license renewal information: "If you do not pay your renewal fee by the expiration date, your license will be considered expired. It is illegal to practice, offer to practice, or use any restricted titles with an expired license, including during the grace period." You can now renew by credit card, so you can get your payment in up to the last minute. If you pay by mail, it takes several weeks for them to credit it. This is what happened to me, but I got it in a bit in advance so it was credited before 03/31/12 and now shows 03/31/14 as the expiration date.

SoCal, so you paid your renewal fee and have already received your new Pocket Certificate? I paid mine 4+ weeks ago and haven't received my new Cert. :worried:

#438 PsychoNumber1

PsychoNumber1

Awesome

• 126 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:15 PM

SoCal, so you paid your renewal fee and have already received your new Pocket Certificate? I paid mine 4+ weeks ago and haven't received my new Cert. :worried:

contact them. i paid and got my new pocket card within 2-3 weeks.

#439 SoCalEE

SoCalEE

Intern

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:54 AM

I haven't received anything from them, however the license lookup shows my date extended and my bank account has been debitted. Therefore, despite lacking a piece of paper, my license is not set to expire at the end of the month.

#440 ptatohed

ptatohed

Chief Engineer

• Supporting Member
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:51 AM

Ahhh..... thanks SoCal. I didn't even think of that. I just checked and I am good.
Expiration Date:
March 31, 2014

Thanks for the tip. :)

#441 ptatohed

ptatohed

Chief Engineer

• Supporting Member
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:22 PM

I received my new wallet card with a new expiration date of March 31, 2014 this past weekend. Not sure if I am actually going to laminate it and carry it with me all the the time. 1.) It's bigger than a credit card and 2.) Am I really going to need it?

What do you guys think?

#442 pbrme

pbrme

You look like I...

• Supporting Member
  • 8,428 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:43 PM

I don't even know what happened to mine. I like looking at the wall mount, don't know what someone would use the wallet one for.

#443 ptatohed

ptatohed

Chief Engineer

• Supporting Member
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:54 AM

I can't believe it's been over two years since this (awesome) thread.  Good memories.  :)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

=