37 replies to this topic

#1 Dleg

Dleg

Veteran

• EB Supporting Member
  • 14,703 posts
  • Discipline:Enviro

Posted 17 January 2010 - 11:23 PM

I think it would be very useful if we could gather all the really useful threads in this forum together and post them as "stickies" to the top of the enviro thread, or at the very least as links in this thread.

It's been 3 years since I took the exam, so I am not necessarily the best person to nominate threads. But this one was originally the destination of most "exam advice", although it has fallen off to the second page this exam cycle:

Advice on the Enviro PE exam

I know there are others in here which discussed general advice, recommended references (since ENVRM doesn't cover al subjects), and reviews of various exam prep programs. So all you enviros that are still around, please help out and nominate some threads so we can better help future PEs.

#2 Dleg

Dleg

Veteran

• EB Supporting Member
  • 14,703 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 11:23 PM

Just wanted to throw in the link to the site remediation reference that was recommended in one of the threads below:

Practical Design Calculations for Groundwater and Soil Remediation by Jeff Kuo

I have not personally had any experience with this book, but it was recommended by two other folks in this forum (sorry if I can't remember who - let me know and I will edit this post), and it fills a big gap in coverage by the ENVRM and other references. So it must be good, right?

#3 Dleg

Dleg

Veteran

• EB Supporting Member
  • 14,703 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 11:38 PM

Hmmm.... it seems my favorite reference - Environmental Engineering, by Salvato, Nemerow, et. al, - has been updated to the 6th edition and is now a 3-volume set, about twice as expensive as before:

http://www.amazon.co...e...1986&sr=1-2

#4 Octave

Octave

Intern

• 38 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 11:52 PM

QUOTE (Dleg @ Feb 8 2010, 06:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmmm.... it seems my favorite reference - Environmental Engineering, by Salvato, Nemerow, et. al, - has been updated to the 6th edition and is now a 3-volume set...

Is this this one you recommended?

Environmental Engineering: Prevention and Response to Water-, Food-, Soil-, and Air-borne Disease and Illness

It's also a 6th edition, and it may be one of the three volumes. But if so, which are the other two?

#5 Octave

Octave

Intern

• 38 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 12:45 AM

QUOTE (Octave @ Feb 8 2010, 06:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...which are the other two?

Never mind, I think the one I mentioned is volume 2, and the other two volumes are ISBNs 0470083034 and 0470083050.

#6 buddingpe

buddingpe

Intern

• EB.com member
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:55 PM

Currently I am using "Practical Design Calculations for Groundwater and Soil Remediation" by Jeff Kuo and can say that its a very good book for Remediation problems. Its worth buying.

QUOTE (Dleg @ Feb 8 2010, 06:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just wanted to throw in the link to the site remediation reference that was recommended in one of the threads below:

Practical Design Calculations for Groundwater and Soil Remediation by Jeff Kuo

I have not personally had any experience with this book, but it was recommended by two other folks in this forum (sorry if I can't remember who - let me know and I will edit this post), and it fills a big gap in coverage by the ENVRM and other references. So it must be good, right?

#7 Dleg

Dleg

Veteran

• EB Supporting Member
  • 14,703 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 01:53 AM

^Good to hear.

Yes, Octave, that book is just one of the three volumes. The previous edition covered everything in one book - about 1500 pages.

#8 jasonrlight

jasonrlight

Intern

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:59 PM

QUOTE (Dleg @ Feb 8 2010, 04:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmmm.... it seems my favorite reference - Environmental Engineering, by Salvato, Nemerow, et. al, - has been updated to the 6th edition and is now a 3-volume set, about twice as expensive as before:

http://www.amazon.co...e...1986&sr=1-2

See if you can find the 5th edition used for cheap. I like it better than the 3 volume and definitely found some obsure answers in the Salvato book.

#9 jasonrlight

jasonrlight

Intern

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:08 PM

The references that I used most (and passed on the 1st attempt April 2010):

- McCoy RCRA reference (http://www.mccoysemi...m/reference.cfm)
- EERM
- Environmental Engineering 5th ed (Salvato)
- Engineering Unit Conversions (Lindeburg)
- Introduction to Environmental Engineering (Davis and Cornwell) *** Highly Recommended ***
- Hazardous Waste Management (LaGrega)
- Wastewater Engineering (Metcalf and Eddy)

I brough a few other industrial hygiene and water treatment books but didn't need them. I also used the North Carolina State Review DVD course in preparing. It was helpful to me because I have never taken formal courses in civil or environmental engineering (My B.S. and M.S. are in biomedical engineering). People with a diverse background may not find this course as useful...

If you are looking to save $$$$ see if you can get several of these references in soft cover. They won't hold up as well, but you only need them to last through one exam (hopefully..).

#10 Dleg

Dleg

Veteran

• EB Supporting Member
  • 14,703 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:15 PM

^Thank you!

I would have jumped at the NC DVD course, if it had been available when I was studying. My BS was in Mech. Eng, with an emphasis in biomedical engineering, too.

#11 SecondWind

SecondWind

Intern

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 02:25 AM

Thanks for all the good info!

I just purchased a bunch of the texts mentioned in this thread for the Oct exam.

Still looking for a 5th edition Salvato.

I'm about 80% through the NC State Env review DVDs.
They have really helped me recall things I learned back in grad school (14 yrs ago).

The Air review section is the best so far.

#12 buddingpe

buddingpe

Intern

• EB.com member
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 01:51 AM

QUOTE (jasonrlight @ Jun 3 2010, 05:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The references that I used most (and passed on the 1st attempt April 2010):

- McCoy RCRA reference (http://www.mccoyseminars.com/reference.cfm)
- EERM
- Environmental Engineering 5th ed (Salvato)
- Engineering Unit Conversions (Lindeburg)
- Introduction to Environmental Engineering (Davis and Cornwell) *** Highly Recommended ***
- Hazardous Waste Management (LaGrega)
- Wastewater Engineering (Metcalf and Eddy)

I brough a few other industrial hygiene and water treatment books but didn't need them. I also used the North Carolina State Review DVD course in preparing. It was helpful to me because I have never taken formal courses in civil or environmental engineering (My B.S. and M.S. are in biomedical engineering). Peple with a diverse background may not find this course as useful...

If you are looking to save $$$$ see if you can get several of these references in soft cover. They won't hold up as well, but you only need them to last through one exam (hopefully..).

Hey Jason,

I am interested to buy few bks/notes. Are you interested in selling?>

#13 twindadtodd

twindadtodd

Intern

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 03:12 PM

QUOTE (SecondWind @ Jun 3 2010, 10:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for all the good info!

I just purchased a bunch of the texts mentioned in this thread for the Oct exam.

Still looking for a 5th edition Salvato.

I'm about 80% through the NC State Env review DVDs.
They have really helped me recall things I learned back in grad school (14 yrs ago).

The Air review section is the best so far.

The NC State Env review DVDs were a lifesaver on my end...passed first try in April 2010. I thought the water resources examples and air review examples/problems were right on track with what I experienced in the test. Some advice...I went through the DVDs a second time the week before the test as a refresher...

good luck!

#14 SecondWind

SecondWind

Intern

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 07:57 PM

Thanks - I'll take a look at the four Water Treatment Ops and Processes DVDs again.

#15 Octave

Octave

Intern

• 38 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 12:25 AM

I also passed on my first attempt last April. I second the recommendations for the books by Kuo, LaGrega and Salvato (although I would try to find the 5th ed. of the latter). I also took with me the Metcalf & Eddy tome but I can't remember if I used it. Regardless, I think good references on water and wastewater treatment are a must, as well as your preferred process chemistry books.

As mentioned before, one needs to be good at converting units quickly, as there is simply not enough time to be looking at tables for every single question.

While taking the test, I remember wishing I had studied more hydrology.

As others have commented, the challenge of this exam is the breadth of knowledge required, so better to start studying early.

Edited by Octave, 24 June 2010 - 12:26 AM.

#16 Dleg

Dleg

Veteran

• EB Supporting Member
  • 14,703 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 02:00 AM

Because the original thread is buried on page 4 somewhere, I thought I would update this thread with the link to the 2004 Ten State Standards (I had to find it for someone else at work).

http://www.dep.state..._wastewater.pdf

Anyone else who recently took the exam and found any of the threads in here useful, please feel free to add in a link to that thread and brief description. Or, a link to an important reference.

#17 VTEnviro

VTEnviro

His Memory Eternal

• Retired ADMIN
  • 1,024,469 posts
  • Discipline:Sorely Lacking

Posted 19 August 2010 - 12:15 PM

This one is pretty useful as far as wastewater goes...

http://engineerboard...?showtopic=4180

#18 cement

cement

In a meeting

• EB Supporting Member
  • 9,644 posts
  • Discipline:Transportation

Posted 20 August 2010 - 12:22 AM

shouldn't you be studying dude?

#19 Dleg

Dleg

Veteran

• EB Supporting Member
  • 14,703 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 06:28 AM

Guys,

With my new, God-like powers of moderation, I have "pinned" this thread at the top of the forum, where it can't get lost. Please, any of you who have taken the exam and found things that were of use in here, please take the time to provide a link to those useful threads or other sources of information by posting a response to this post.

#20 Dleg

Dleg

Veteran

• EB Supporting Member
  • 14,703 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:22 PM

"Practice Problems - Which ones?"

#21 envirotex

envirotex

Veteran

• Supporting Member
  • 5,282 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 04:04 PM

Awfully quiet in this forum...hopefully everyone is done studying and just kicking back at this point, right?

#22 Dleg

Dleg

Veteran

• EB Supporting Member
  • 14,703 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:03 AM

Yeah, I guess the exam is just around the corner!  Boy am I glad I don't have to go through that again....

• snickerd3 likes this

#23 chiko

chiko

Project Manager

• 157 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:04 AM

Any advice how to wrap things up? I study last two months and now I feel like I don't need to study at all

#24 DavidPE

DavidPE

Intern

• 43 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:39 PM

Any advice how to wrap things up? I study last two months and now I feel like I don't need to study at all

Have you taken the NCEES practice exam, under test conditions? I was pretty confident and I thought I was done studying until I did that. What a surprise! Good thing I had 5 or 6 weeks left.

If you really are done at this point, I might take a break for a few days and then spend the rest of your time reworking problems. Choose ones that you have trouble with or that you think are likely to be on the exam. I remember working all of my practice problems at least twice...some of them I worked 4 or 5 times.

I wouldn't do too much during the week of the exam. Make sure your references are together and organized, make sure you have everything you need to take the exam, and then try to relax.

#25 chiko

chiko

Project Manager

• 157 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:20 PM

I did take the 2011 exam under test conditions. Looks like I am organized but still have trouble finding material in my notes because I don't know which sections are morning and which one are for afternoon? Overall I am stressing out because this is my second time so I don't want to mess it up again.
I have smaller binders with air, haz waste, water and waste water etc. do you recommend making a big binder for morning and one for afternoon?

#26 chiko

chiko

Project Manager

• 157 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:20 PM

I did take the 2011 exam under test conditions. Looks like I am organized but still have trouble finding material in my notes because I don't know which sections are morning and which one are for afternoon? Overall I am stressing out because this is my second time so I don't want to mess it up again.
I have smaller binders with air, haz waste, water and waste water etc. do you recommend making a big binder for morning and one for afternoon?

#27 Dleg

Dleg

Veteran

• EB Supporting Member
  • 14,703 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:35 PM

I don't recommend organizing based on how you think the exam will be organized.  Just organize based on topic, so that way you will be prepared no matter what. 

I recall spending the last 2 weeks just re-doing practice problems, and reading sections of textbooks in areas I was weak on.  I think the reading is important, in order to be able to answer all the qualitative questions (not that you will remember it all, but it will help you remember which book to look in).

#28 chiko

chiko

Project Manager

• 157 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:47 PM

Thanks David, Dleg. Under pressure I always forget which book to use. Open channel flow, and remediation scares me the most. I have been studying Lageraga for remediation this time but sure what to do with Kuo's. There was no question from Kuo's last time. 18 more days to go then I can finally enjoy something

#29 suryan

suryan

Intern

• EB.com member
  • 19 posts
  • Discipline:Civil

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:31 PM

Does anyone know of a good reference for different kinds of respirators to use for different contaminants?

#30 Dleg

Dleg

Veteran

• EB Supporting Member
  • 14,703 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:03 PM

The NIOSH Pocket Guide to Chemical Hazards will tell you exactly which respirators to use with each chemical listed.  If you don't have one, borrow one or buy one for yourself.  It's a useful reference to have, although probably not if all you ever do is design work. 

I think you can also find this guide online, but it would take a lot of printing to get it into a format you could take into the exam.  I don't remember how expensive it is to buy, but it might be worth it.

#31 suryan

suryan

Intern

• EB.com member
  • 19 posts
  • Discipline:Civil

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:50 PM

Thanks a lot! I borrowed one from my colleague today !

#32 VTEnviro

VTEnviro

His Memory Eternal

• Retired ADMIN
  • 1,024,469 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:25 PM

Company library is a good option if you need a book and don't want to shell out the cash.

#33 DavidPE

DavidPE

Intern

• 43 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:46 PM

The NIOSH Pocket Guide to Chemical Hazards will tell you exactly which respirators to use with each chemical listed.  If you don't have one, borrow one or buy one for yourself.  It's a useful reference to have, although probably not if all you ever do is design work. 

I think you can also find this guide online, but it would take a lot of printing to get it into a format you could take into the exam.  I don't remember how expensive it is to buy, but it might be worth it.

Here's the CDC's page for the guide: http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npg/

They will send you a copy for FREE. I ordered a copy for the April exam (they offered a more recent copy than what I had) and they shipped it very quickly, although with the shutdown you are probably out of luck for this month's exam.

I don't have my EERM anymore, but there was good information on PPE in there. I seem to remember a table at the end of one of the chapters that I found very useful as far as the different levels of protection.

#34 VTEnviro

VTEnviro

His Memory Eternal

• Retired ADMIN
  • 1,024,469 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:51 PM

If its free I might pick one up for my personal collection. Where in NY are you? I grew up in the burbs.

#35 Dleg

Dleg

Veteran

• EB Supporting Member
  • 14,703 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:09 PM

Here's the CDC's page for the guide: http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npg/

They will send you a copy for FREE. I ordered a copy for the April exam (they offered a more recent copy than what I had) and they shipped it very quickly, although with the shutdown you are probably out of luck for this month's exam.

Thanks for the info!  I am going to take advantage of that - my copy is now 7 years old. 

Edit - nevermind - the print version is still the 2006 edition.  The newer version (2010) is only available on CD-ROM. 

#36 DavidPE

DavidPE

Intern

• 43 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:40 PM

Where in NY are you? I grew up in the burbs.

I'm between Syracuse and Watertown, along the lake.

#37 CU07

CU07

Project Manager

• 106 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:34 PM

The inside cover of my print edition is dated September 2007.  I got it in late 2011 or early 2012.

I'm in Syracuse.  I went to college up north.

#38 VTEnviro

VTEnviro

His Memory Eternal

• Retired ADMIN
  • 1,024,469 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:04 PM

Grew up in Mahopac, not far from Danbury CT. Currently in North Dakota though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

=