Using PE in an Industry That Doesn't Require It?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonhnny123

Reaction score
Does anyone work in an industry that doesn't require a PE License?

Do you still include the PE after your name on email signatures? It's about a 50/50 split here between those who do and those who don't.

Work in the automotive industry which doesn't require my PE. I don't include the PE after my name but have seen others that do.

It's hit/miss in the construction world. Those who have any influence on design or decision making typically do list it, but I've met plenty of "field" guys who don't. I've never used my stamp since getting it back in '08, but I still include it in every work-related email I send...

Agreed on not needing a PE for automotive. When I was working as a controls engineer, I don't believe I came across anyone else in that field who had a PE. However, that being said, if I had my PE when I was doing that work, you better believe I would be displaying it.

I work in HVAC equipment. I don't need my PE, but I use the letters. Here, it's respected as an indicator of dedication to the profession and our customers, who are primarily mechanical contractors, seem to like that some of us are PEs.

I work in the aerospace industry which does not require PE licensure, and I do not attach the letters to my name on any work-related correspondence. I do, however, use the letters on my LinkedIn profile so that prospective employers can see my accomplishment. The letters also appear on my resume for the same reason, of course.

Does anyone work in an industry that doesn't require a PE License?

Do you still include the PE after your name on email signatures? It's about a 50/50 split here between those who do and those who don't.

I do. My industry does and could not care less if you are or not a PE. Intra e-mails have no signature other than my first name. E-mails going out of the company do have full name with the P.E. at the end, tittle and contact information.

I work for a Naval Defense Contractor and my P.E. is not needed, however I still use it on my signature on all my E-mails.

I feel it still sets me apart from the pack...

I use it on LinkedIn and my resume, but not at work since it's not needed. I work for a defense contractor.

I'd use it regardless. Like others have said, you've earned it.

I highly doubt anyone that sees it is going to think any less of you if it isn't 'required'.

I used to work for a Naval defense contractor and it was not required, but those engineers that I knew that had their PE were usually in higher regard, in my book at least.

Back