CA- Seismic and Surveying study materials. Which book to study from?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saruna26

Reaction score
Hi All,

I will be taking CA- seismic and surveying exams in October 2013. Can anyone please tell me which books to study from for both Seismic and surveying.

I have the following books,

1. Civil Surveying Review workshop (Workbook and Practice exam) - by Reza Mahallati

2. Seismic Design Review workbook (2006 IBC version)- September 2008 edition - by Steven Hiner.

3. ASCE 7-05

4. IBC 2009

I know that these books are not enough. But don;t know what else to buy. Also, Should I go for the latest SDR workbook with 2009 IBC version?

Thanks a lot

-Aruna

Hi saruna.

1.) The Reza book is good. I used the three main PPI CA-Survey books. Dr. Mansour also offers Survey study material. Check out the free Caltrans stuff too.

2.) You'll definitely need Mr. Hiner's latest book, not the old one, but might I suggest Dr. Ibrahim's text book instead. Dr. I is a Seismic Master. You can supplement the main workbook you choose with additional problems like the ones from PPI.

3.) Yes, you'll need this for Seismic.

4.) Yes, you'll need this (or the 2010 CBC) for Seismic.

Keep in mind that at any given administration, the Seismic exam might switch to the ASCE 7-10 and 2012 IBC / 2013 CBC which will cause you to buy all new study material.

Good luck!

Back