Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sersmay

Applying for Additional Exam in CA

6 posts in this topic

Hey all my California buddies,

I (finally) passed the Civil exam for CA, and am planning to take the Traffic Engineering exam in October. This really applies to anyone who has taken multiple tests: structural, geotechnical, etc. When I apply to take the Traffic exam, I'm assuming I don't need to send in the take home ethics exam, a copy of my college transcripts, fingerprints (already did LiveScan last year). So, I would only send the Application for Licensure plus the reference forms. Looking for confirmation, thanks!

If you've already completed the Laws and Regulations exam (commonly referred to as the Take Home) for engineers, you do not need to submit it again for subsequent engineering disciplines.

Just now, CAPLS said:

If you've already completed the Laws and Regulations exam (commonly referred to as the Take Home) for engineers, you do not need to submit it again for subsequent engineering disciplines.

Incidentally, you are not "applying for an exam".  You are applying for licensure.

@CAPLS Thanks this is helpful.

@CAPLS: This isn't urgent as I have no intention of applying for October 2017, but will be of eventual interest. Suppose I already have a P.E. license in California (Mechanical) and want to test for an additional P.E. in, for example, Fire Protection. A glance at my MyNCEES record shows me the attached screenshot. How would I proceed in that case when NCEES blocks registration for the exam? Also, as BPELSG already has my transcripts and take home exam, would I only need my application and references for my fire protection qualifying experience? What other materials, if any, would I need to submit? Thanks.

Capture4.JPG

22 hours ago, fireguy_PE said:

@CAPLS: This isn't urgent as I have no intention of applying for October 2017, but will be of eventual interest. Suppose I already have a P.E. license in California (Mechanical) and want to test for an additional P.E. in, for example, Fire Protection. A glance at my MyNCEES record shows me the attached screenshot. How would I proceed in that case when NCEES blocks registration for the exam? Also, as BPELSG already has my transcripts and take home exam, would I only need my application and references for my fire protection qualifying experience? What other materials, if any, would I need to submit? Thanks.

Capture4.JPG

Good questions fireguy.  individuals seeking multiple licenses in states like California that license by discipline will encounter this.  NCEES is aware of this situation and is attempting to figure out a way to handle in the best way possible.  However, until that time, you will need to let BPELSG know when this occurs with your name and NCEES ID number so NCEES can be alerted to allow you to register.

Whether the transcripts are available and can be used again is more a matter of how long its been since you originally applied/supplied that material.  If older than 5-6 years, your file is most likely in archives and we would need to request retrieval.  Once you've taken the PE take home exam, you do not need to take it again (unless you failed it).  I would advise you to contact Mike.donelson@dca.ca.gov with your question on the transcript.  He is the one that would be reviewing your application and the education and may be able to answer that question in the detail that you would need.