Parking garage exhaust calculation

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lundy

Reaction score
So I'm designing an underground parking garage and I know that enclosed parking garages require an exhaust rate of 0.75 cfm/sq. ft. when CO or NO2 are activated. The minimum continuous exhaust shall be 0.05 CFM/sq. ft. and the total system shall be capable of 0.75 CFM/sq. ft. 

Mechanical ventilation systems for enclosed parking garages shall be permitted to operate intermittently in accordance to the Energy Code. Which are controlled by carbon monoxide detectors applied in conjunction with nitrogen dioxide. 

I've typically designed one continuous Exhaust Fan for the 0.05 cfm/sq. ft. and another fan for the 0.70 CFM/ sq. ft. 

Here is my question...isn't there an ASHRAE calculation where you get the total number of parking space, longest distance traveled from the farthest parking space and it outputs a value of CFM for exhaust. I recently changed jobs and I forget where this calculation came from. Thanks!

Or you just simplify the system by only allowing electric cars...
Or just put these at both entrance and exit:
severe-tire-damage.jpg

Back