Any good PE review courses for Structural Depth?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superlaker24

Reaction score
I am planning to take the Civil PE Exam for California for the April 2016 Exam. I was going to take all three parts. I have been out of school for several years and no longer work in Civil Engineering. i was thinking about taking the structural depth section even though I never worked in the area since it was the most familiar I know of the different depths. I was looking if there were any Civil PE Exam courses that covered the Structural Depth extensively?

Look into the SoPE course, also look out for EET, they run an excellent program and will look to offer PE Structural depth classes within the coming exam cycle or two (due to demand)

Look into the SoPE course, also look out for EET, they run an excellent program and will look to offer PE Structural depth classes within the coming exam cycle or two (due to demand)
How is School of PE and the review courses? Do they emphasize structural depth? I did not see anything on their website for structural depth? I am in California so the only option for them is the online course.

Do you know if EET will offer structural depth for the next exam?

Both come highly recommended. Although I found that EET stuck more with the topic breakdown from the NCEES guidelines

SoPE does offer a structural depth course and refers to it as "Bonus structural" classes that et offered after the completion of the regular course (This is offered online)

Maybe you'll have to get in touch with them to confirm if the above is still the case.

I'm not sure if EET will offer it next cycle, but they did express that the demand will be addressed soon (for PE Structural Depth)

EET does however, offer SE courses which are structure intensive - maybe someone licensed in CA could assist with that (I'm pursuing the PE License in NYS - SE isn't emphasized with my employer)

Both come highly recommended. Although I found that EET stuck more with the topic breakdown from the NCEES guidelines

SoPE does offer a structural depth course and refers to it as "Bonus structural" classes that et offered after the completion of the regular course (This is offered online)

Maybe you'll have to get in touch with them to confirm if the above is still the case.

I'm not sure if EET will offer it next cycle, but they did express that the demand will be addressed soon (for PE Structural Depth)

EET does however, offer SE courses which are structure intensive - maybe someone licensed in CA could assist with that (I'm pursuing the PE License in NYS - SE isn't emphasized with my employer)
I checked with EET and they will have a Structural Depth Course for the Fall 2016 Exam.

How did you like School of PE? Is the Structural Depth covered in detail?

I never used these, but ASCE has PE Exam Review courses - they are expensive.

I did SoPE in October 2013 for PE Civil-Structural and it was extremely resourceful for the AM topics and they offered a bonus/online PM course for Depth topics. At the time, it covered a lot of topics I was unfamiliar with, so it didn't seem useful because it was all really over my head, but when I looked back over my notes recently, they did a decent job of covering some solid Structural PM topics to expect on the exam.

I did SoPE in October 2013 for PE Civil-Structural and it was extremely resourceful for the AM topics and they offered a bonus/online PM course for Depth topics. At the time, it covered a lot of topics I was unfamiliar with, so it didn't seem useful because it was all really over my head, but when I looked back over my notes recently, they did a decent job of covering some solid Structural PM topics to expect on the exam.
How was the exam? Did the course have similar material as the exam.

How was the exam? Did the course have similar material as the exam.
Hard to say. Like I said, the course covered the AM very well, so the morning was a breeze. Since you're more concerned about the PM (like I was), it covered topics that you need to know and provided workshop problems in the live online course, but it's hard to remember if they were similar to the exam. They prepared you for what to expect on the PM. Sorry if this isn't exactly helpful!

EET has a Structural Depth Review Class. It is a Live Webinar and they are planning it for the Spring 2016 Exam.

EET has a Structural Depth Review Class. It is a Live Webinar and they are planning it for the Spring 2016 Exam.
Did you end up taking a course before the exam?

I took a $1,200 online course offered by Kaplan Engineering, which is now Brightwood College last year preparing for the SE. I felt the class was useless for exam prep in certain subjects. They did a good job on masonry though. When I failed the exam I asked about getting a free pass to the new version since all the codes and references changed. They offered me a 50% discount. I would have taken it again but couldn't justify even the $600 cost for the quality that I found. However, I did enjoy the seismic and concrete reference books from Kaplan.

Back