Virginia goes zig-zig

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road Guy

Reaction score
image_8561807.jpg

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/news/stori...cxntlid=sldr_hm

As part of a yearlong experiment aimed at perplexing drivers enough that they slow down at crosswalks, the Virginia Department of Transportation last month painted 500 feet of the white wandering lines at two popular hiking-biking trail crossings in the western suburb of Loudoun County, Va.
seems like the benefits will wear off once people become accustomed to it.

The concept of using it to "confuse" drivers into slowing down is asinine. Using them to otherwise mark crosswalks/bike paths that ahead of time that may not be otherwise easily visible would be just fine. But then again, who would want to take any sort of logical approach to things?

of course one could construct a ramp over the roadway for the bikes or a 8 ft x 12 ft culvert under the road for the bikes and eliminate the hazard and not force those tens of thousands of cars to slow down at all.

But then again that's not what the Europeans would do.

Last edited by a moderator:
of course one could construct a ramp over the roadway for the bikes or a 8 ft x 12 ft culvert under the road for the bikes and eliminate the hazard and not force those tens of thousands of cars to slow down at all.
But then again that's not what the Europeans would do.
Better yet, just get rid of the crossing.

Better yet, just get rid of the crossing.
Or encourage safer driving practices, create and enforce stricter statues to help cyclists and pedestrians, or help discourage distracted driving by taking away or minimize use of cell phones while driving. The W-OD trail can be a pretty heavily traveled path at times and serves the needs of both pedestrians and cyclists. Paths like this one, the C&D Canal, the Mt. Vernon trails and a few others in that area are real draws to the area for some. They are a tourist attractions, great ways to get exercise and can serve as arteries for bicycle transportation. Many communities do not realize the resources they have to help reduce congestion and increase safe cycling.

While I don't know that this is any better an idea than any of the others they have tried around the US, I am impressed that VA is taking some initiative to help protect cyclists and pedestrians in a known problem area. It is far better than not doing anything.

I have not been to Europe yet and don't really care that it is something they have tried... I am an active cyclist and bike commuter who has been hit more than once by inattentive drivers and I am encouraged to see infrastructure money spent on alternative transportation.

Keep in mind, May is National Bike Month and that May 15th is National Bike to Work day.

we have a big trail (Silver Comet) where I live,we spent the big money and put in traffic signals w/ push buttons so the bike and ped folks could safely cross the road...

we have a big trail (Silver Comet) where I live,we spent the big money and put in traffic signals w/ push buttons so the bike and ped folks could safely cross the road...
But that means that the bike and ped people actually have to stop and press the button. Bike people are better to the environment than the nasty, stinky, automobile people and should have right of way.

Last edited by a moderator:
The W-OD trail can be a pretty heavily traveled path at times and serves the needs of both pedestrians and cyclists. Paths like this one, the C&D Canal, the Mt. Vernon trails and a few others in that area are real draws to the area for some. They are a tourist attractions, great ways to get exercise and can serve as arteries for bicycle transportation. Many communities do not realize the resources they have to help reduce congestion and increase safe cycling.
I think the Mt. Vernon trail is not a good thing for cyclists... I find it *much* safer to ride down the Mt. Vernon Memorial Highway than to brave the pedestrians (including their children and pets).

I have not been to Europe yet and don't really care that it is something they have tried... I am an active cyclist and bike commuter who has been hit more than once by inattentive drivers and I am encouraged to see infrastructure money spent on alternative transportation.
Europe has some of the most cycle-friendly communities in the world... if it works in Europe there's a reasonable chance it should work here - with the right mentality. I agree with you that the mentality (inattentive drivers) is the Number One cause of incidents!

But that means that the bike and ped people actually have to stop and press the button. Bike people are better to the environment than the nasty, stinky, automobile people and should have right of way.
They should also have the right of way because they don't pay any of the taxes for the use of those roads.

Who cares if a few pedophiles get run over?

"I have not been to Europe yet and don't really care that it is something they have tried..."

Europe has some of the most cycle-friendly communities in the world... if it works in Europe there's a reasonable chance it should work here - with the right mentality. I agree with you that the mentality (inattentive drivers) is the Number One cause of incidents!
I say this not because I don't think they have it right over there, I say it because I try to avoid getting into the conversation that comes before...

"I've grown weary of explaining to people why stuff that works in Europe generally doesn't go over too well here."

My thought is that I don't care if the idea comes from Boston, Britain or Bangladesh, or even Paris (GA or France)... If there is a good idea that seems to work, there may be a chance that it would work elsewhere.

I am glad to hear that there are some other cycle/pedestrian folks around on the board.

They should also have the right of way because they don't pay any of the taxes for the use of those roads.
Sure... and motorists should have the right of way on sidewalks because pedestrians didn't pay any taxes for the use of the sidewalk.

What if instead of zig-zag lines they had popup people like in the old westerns so by the time they reached the cross walk people were so used to dodging pop-ups it would be no problem.

Back