License Number and Wall Certificate

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WaterGirl

Reaction score
I just want to say that I received my notification on January 9, 2009 that I indeed did pass my NJ PE exam in Water Resources/Environmental on October 24, 2008. I write the dates so specifically because I want to note how long of a wait it was - you all know, the longest 10 - 12 weeks of your (at least recent) life. NJ was one of the very last states to mail out results. I was really "chomping at the bit", if you will, just "beat for" any news, even if it had have been bad. (Although that's pretty easy to say, now that I have passed, let's be honest.) But I digress....

On Tuesday, January 20, 2009, only 11 days (not business days, but regular every-day days) after receiving my notification that I did pass the hard, grueling, dam* exam, I got my License Activation Form from the NJ State Board!! I read on this forum somewhere that someone had called the NJ Board and was told that they would not be mailing these forms out for maybe a couple of months!! So, I had settled back, just satisfied to bask in the glory of having passed. Not only that, but I had paid $8 for the NJ Law Examination at the time I filled out the Scheduling Form for the PE exam. They had mailed me the Law Examination and a scantron form to be filled out with a #2 pencil and all. The deadline (which had been extended since NJ had been behind in their PE exam application processing) was November 30, 2008. Yes - I sent it in late - around December 15. I had read online that if you miss the deadline, you should send it in anyway. The directions for the mail-in exam were specific, however: No exam received after the deadline would be scored. They (PCS - Professional Credential Services???, I think) even went on to say that if you did not make the deadline, you would have to contact your State and arrange to take the exam in person - that you will have lost the privilege of taking the test by mail. And I did receive a letter the first week of January stating that while they received my Law exam, they had received it too late and it had not been scored. Who cared, right then? I was just hoping I passed the main thing.

Well, on the 20th, I received, not one, not two, but three envelopes from the Board. They all said the same thing: Give us a check for $80, fill out this form (with your full name spelled out and your signature, blah, blah) and circle the correct answers on this NJ Law Examination we have enclosed!!!

Mind you, the letter was dated the 20th and I received it on the 20th. Maybe they sent it on the 19th - but was that a postal holiday??? Anyway, on the 21st, I filled everything out, mailed it out registered, certified mail overnight (postage paid by my employer, of course).

I aim to be the very first person who passed the NJ October 2008 exam to be assigned a Professional Engineering license number.

Write back from NJ when you get yours, OK?

I mailed out the "License Activation Form" on Jan 19 with a $80 personal check and till today the check wasn't cashed out. I wonder how long does it typically take to get the License number from Trenton (not that I am in any hurry to seal any plans/drawings/reports).....just curious!

Ohh, I also checked NJ Board PE online directory and its only up-to-date till January 08, 2009 ...the day before I received my pass letter.

Ah yes, California. I recieved my "congrats" letter on the 21st of January BUT I had my license number the next morning via the state web site. My letter even said that it would serve as proof of a valid engineering license and that my certificate would follow in several weeks! Evidently in our exam application fee included a quarter of license dues. So they won't be hitting me up for money until June or so.

IIRC, the law exam was a joke but I had to take it for my FE exam. Are they making you take it again for the PE Exam? NJ always has to be different from the 49 other states...

Got my NJ license number in the mail yesterday! It has five digits, XXXXX. My supervisor says the full number is 24GE0XXXXX00.

Never noticed that. The certificate just has the five digits, but the actual license has this long thing - and so should your stamp and seal, I believe.

Am I first?

Back