Engineer Boards

It's Friday!!!!

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, found out I finally passed the PE yesterday and Husband received a job offer this morning.  THIS IS THE WORST WEEKEND TO HAVE FIELD WORK. "That's liiiiiiiiiiife" Happy Friday y'all

It may be Thursday, but it is definitely Friday and a special one at that! Tonight I graduate from the Fire Academy. Many drinks will be consumed afterwards. Many. In the drunk tank I may be.

Annnnddddd it's another Friday! And this time I actually AM a registered P.E.!

Posted Images

An additional secret is to find some of that oil used in turbines. Dad got some of that for mine and it won. The secret is to make sure you put some one right before the car is turned into the authorities because the effect is short lived.

An additional secret is to find some of that oil used in turbines. Dad got some of that for mine and it won. The secret is to make sure you put some one right before the car is turned into the authorities because the effect is short lived.

Turbine oil isn't anything fancy or exotic. I'd bet graphite would be better.

Never did a comparison. Used turbine oil twice. Won once, came in second next year (I forgot to oil the axles before I turned the car in).

Never did a comparison. Used turbine oil twice. Won once, came in second next year (I forgot to oil the axles before I turned the car in).

Rules have changed so that you can only apply dry lubricants, so you pretty much limited to powdered graphite. That stuff makes one hell of a mess too.

I sold, like, 145 boxes of Girl Scout cookies one year.

^my mom was the cookie mom so the entire delivery always came to our house.

I raised donations, organized volunteers and upgraded/re-built a bridge that met the ADA requirements across a creek at camp so that girls with disabilities could hike all the way around the lake.... and sold a bunch of cookies...

This is a who's is bigger game, right?

we did something in middle school technology class that I guess is probably like the pine wood derby... the cars we made had little CO2 cartridges and we got to race them down the hallway at school...

• Like 1

It was more of a comparison to all of this pinewood derby in Boy Scouts vs. I sold cookies and crafted in Girl Scouts. I dropped out at junior high though, so it may have become more than that.

Rules have changed so that you can only apply dry lubricants, so you pretty much limited to powdered graphite. That stuff makes one hell of a mess too.

No kidding, they used it on all the door hinges in my house. Which are white. With white trim.

Is Pine Wood Derby more of an adult competition with the Cub Scout's name on it? Maybe it's just me. My dad helped me make mine, but didn't tell me do this or do that for "must win" performance.

And that's why you didn't win.

Right now, I'm almost done with the shaping part, and once that is done I will paint then work on maximizing the weight. Once the weight is figured out, I will then attach the wheels and work on alignment. I've found a couple articles that discusses how to utlize bent axles to both get the wheels up on their edges (minimize contact surface) as well as drive straight.

My expereince is that "contact area" shape, and all these other tweaks don't have a noticeable or repeatable effect on the car's final performance. Freely spinning wheels that track true will get the fastest time. True alignment is difficult without machine shop quality alignment fixtures. The pine is just too soft to hold it that exact.

2 cars are being built in my house. My son is largely responsible for his own (although I cut it out for him because I don't trust a 7 yr old with a Dremmel), but I'm going all-out on mine. Our pack separates the kids by grade (so my son is only competing against other 2nd graders), and then we have an "open" class that is open for friends, siblings, and parents. ALL cars have to meet the official rules.

sounds like a "everybody gets a trophy" answer. The cob scout with the dad that "cares the most about him" will win.

Ok, I like the fact that there are two "classes". I'm just annoyed about parents taking over and doing the kid's projects (any project) for them. Especially when the project will help the kid develop the skills to ask the proper questions and the skills to perform his / her own work.

that's because you didn't win.

I sold, like, 145 boxes of Girl Scout cookies one year.

did you (or your mom) bake them? did you win? The winning sales kid is usually the one who mom or dad works for a very large corporation and mom or dad cares about them enough to bring the list in and sell cookies to their co-workers.

It was more of a comparison to all of this pinewood derby in Boy Scouts vs. I sold cookies and crafted in Girl Scouts. I dropped out at junior high though, so it may have become more than that.

I understand the after junior high they have the official sleepovers and pillow fights which help prepare for college sororities.

yeah, the bridge project was my final thing and I worked on that for nearly my entire JR and SR years of high school between planning, designing, obtaining the donations and then organizing the weekend we worked on it... looking back it was probably a bigger project than I needed to do for the gold award, but I've checked and the bridge is still there 15 years later being used... as long as the camp doesn't close this year.

Scouting was a really important part of my life since neither of my parents were into being outside, it was the only way I had the opportunities for a lot of things I enjoyed like backpacking, kayaking, etc etc etc...

• Like 1

Bumping this for the thread's original intent. IT'S FRIDAY, BITCHES! :dancingnaughty:

Today is Friday for me, too.

MUWA! MUWAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Me three.

I think I speak for most of us here when I say: BASTARDS!!!!