'97 IBC vs. '07 CBC

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcv182

Reaction score
I am having a hard time with the differences in these two codes. The IBC has formulas for things like base shear, but I cannot find those formulas in the CBC. Are those formulas in ASCE 7?

Also, there are a lot of tables in the IBC. I cannot remember the exact numbert but they are labeled "Table 16k", etc. I cannot find those tables in the CBC either. Can anybody explain this to me? Thanks!

First off, there is no such thing as the 1997 IBC, what you are talking about is the 1997 UBC.

The 2001 CBC/1997 UBC is a simplified version of the stuff used to calculate wind and seismic loads, hence the tables in chapter 16. The 2006 IBC/2007 CBC uses the modern way of calculating wind and seismic loads which goes directly to ASCE 7-05. There are simplified wind loads though. But this is basically what was in the 2000 IBC and 2003 IBC.

So in short, there are no more tables like what you are talking about in the new CBC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kevo,

First off, thanks for being so condescending when you corrected me between the IBC and the UBC.

Secondly, thanks for the rest of the information.

^^ I wasn't trying to convey anything with the correction.

Take it for what it's worth.

You're welcome.

^^LOL

If he wanted to get me mad, he just did. :)

That's what I get for helping. :dunno:

The condescending comment came out of the blue. I even went back and reread it and didn't see it.

it sounded rude to me at first, but if you say it wasn't, then it wasn't. that's the problem with message boards.

You may have said it, IlPadrino, but I was sure thinking it.

<plugs in a fan and turns it toward the flames...>

i was just saying that it sounds rude when you start a sentence with "first off" and then tell me what i was talking about, that's all

<plugs in a fan and turns it toward the flames...>
5.gif

JR

i was just saying that it sounds rude when you start a sentence with "first off" and then tell me what i was talking about, that's all
There have got to be better ways to pad your post count!

I'm curious, though... was it the "first off" or the answer that bothered you most?

Back