Expecting

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLBuff PE

Multi-disciplinary engineer
Reaction score
I enjoy reading about people who are expecting new ones, especially since I am currently in that catergory. I thought I would start a thread for those of us, so we can post updates, complain about the pregnancy hormones, etc.

My wife and I are due with our first on February 24, 3 days before my 30th. We decided not to find out if it is a boy or a girl. Everything is going well so far. A couple weeks ago, my wife blew up at me b/c "I was not taking enough care of her". She later apologized, but I told her that I know it was just the hormones talking (I hope). Also, no one told us about the indigestion, and the likely onset of carpal tunnel (for her). Ahh, the joys of pregnancy! :rolleyes:

My wife is is due on Jan 19th with our first. I am totally excited. I can feel the baby squirming around, but it still doesnt seem real yet. I imagine it will once I hear the first scream in the middle of the night or have to change a diaper it will become very real. :poop:

I have to admit, it is kind of funny watching my wife try to put her shoes and socks on.

Good luck guys. We had our first back in May, and sometimes it still seems surreal that we actually made a little person. It has definitley been an adjustment, and I don't get to play my X-box 360 any more, hehe. He started sleeping all the way through the night a few weeks ago, and that has been great. He is becoming very mobile now, and you can't take your eyes off of him for very long.

Again, good luck.

Texas Aggie '02

Wow...that means you guys are first time dads? Wow man...that's big! It's a big and positive life change for a guy to become a father.

I enjoy reading about people who are expecting new ones, especially since I am currently in that catergory. I thought I would start a thread for those of us, so we can post updates, complain about the pregnancy hormones, etc.
My wife and I are due with our first on February 24, 3 days before my 30th. We decided not to find out if it is a boy or a girl. Everything is going well so far. A couple weeks ago, my wife blew up at me b/c "I was not taking enough care of her". She later apologized, but I told her that I know it was just the hormones talking (I hope). Also, no one told us about the indigestion, and the likely onset of carpal tunnel (for her). Ahh, the joys of pregnancy! :rolleyes:
FLBuff,

Congrats! Seems like a lot of Pisces here... my wife is a whole week older than I am (she was 2/21 and I was 2/28). One of my best and most loyal friends is, like you, a 2/27 guy!

Indigestion... the old wive's tale is that it means that the baby has a lot of hair. FYI - my wife had no indigestion with my first, but had a hell of time with these two (and all were born with thick, black, spiky hair!)

Best of luck to you and the misses!

It all comes together the first time you see them outside of mom, it hits you like a brick. It is the greatest feeling I have ever had - seeing my children born, well, okay, almost as good as seeing my passing letter for the PE!!!!

-Ray

Good luck guys. We had our first back in May, and sometimes it still seems surreal that we actually made a little person. It has definitley been an adjustment, and I don't get to play my X-box 360 any more, hehe. He started sleeping all the way through the night a few weeks ago, and that has been great. He is becoming very mobile now, and you can't take your eyes off of him for very long.
Again, good luck.

Texas Aggie '02
Yes Texas, and once they are mobile, you will never sleep soundly again! Once my son started sleeping through the night, I couldn't sleep since I would wake up and wonder if he was okay or not since I couldn't hear him.

Best of luck to you and the family!

My wife is is due on Jan 19th with our first. I am totally excited. I can feel the baby squirming around, but it still doesnt seem real yet. I imagine it will once I hear the first scream in the middle of the night or have to change a diaper it will become very real. :poop:
I have to admit, it is kind of funny watching my wife try to put her shoes and socks on.
Don't let the wife see you laughing.

My wife was technically due on 1/18. The next three to four weeks will fly by.

Have fun with the first diaper change. In retrospect, it isn't that hard and don't worry, you won't break the baby! (I remember the first time we changed my son, the two of us scared that we'd hurt him by picking him up by the legs).

-Ray

My wife is due on 2/12 with our second and last. It will make a boy and a girl. It has been, thank the good Lord, a very enjoyable (maybe not the best word, but...) pregnancy and the remaining time will fly by. We didn't have the best of luck last year and miscarried, so this one has been under a quite large watchful eye. Everything has been right on track. The nursery is done, so now it's all about getting our son ready for his little sister.

ktulu

My nephew just turned 1-yr old (Dec 17th) and it has been interesting since he is mostly at my house so my mother-in-law (MIL) can watch him. It has been a lot of fun watching him grow over this last year - he is only just beginning to be able to take multiple steps without any assistance.

However, I am not very fond of Elmo - his squeeky rasp starts to grate me when it is non-stop. :true: Especially Sing-Along-With-Me Elmo. I will be finding the exit door here shortly so I can work on my graduate paper in PEACE. :D

JR

Last edited:
Wife is expecting with a due date around July 4th. We go in for another checkup in a week. Ought to be able to see quite a bit with this ultrasound, she will be about 12 weeks.

This will be number 3, after this appt, I think we'll probably tell our 2 girls (4and 6)... I think they will be excited. When asking them if they want a baby brother or sister, the littlest keeps asking - can we have a dog instead...

Congrats everyone else. Ray I bet Christmas was a blast.

Here's an update:

The wife started getting exhausted quite easily about two weeks ago. Also, she has started having the Braxton-Hicks contractions. She did not tell me about them until Saturday, which upset me. I want to know everything that is going on! Anyway, we started work on the nursery yesterday by moving furniture out of that room and into another, and cleaning the nuresery. Soon I will be painting, fixing some sheet rock around a new window I installed in November, and putting furniture together. It is hard to believe that a 'mini-me' will be here in less than 2 months!

Those two months are going to fly by! My wife had been having the Braxton-Hicks contractions for the month prior to getting real contractions. My wife naturally didn't want to sit down for a second, she wanted to sorting, organizing, or doing something. It was hard for her to finally sit down and take it easy... and not a moment too soon either!

12 days after she went in, she is feeling much better, sneezing and coughing remind her of the C-section, but otherwise she is really recovering well. Both of the twins have started gaining weight and it is cute to see them and the little personalities that are starting to develop. It is certainly worth the lack of sleep!!!

We had two babies here on Christmas day. A cousin has an 11-month old and a friend has a 5-month old. It was great to have babies in the house. Our daughters are 21 and 16. I think there is nothing better than a baby hug. Enjoy every minute. Even the "unenjoyable" ones.

At what point do I pack the 'Oh, ****, time to go' bag? And what should I put in it? I know that I should pre-register us at the hospital...any idea how early one can do that?

congratulations to everyone expecting or just having new babies!!! That's so exciting!

FLBuff - I packed my bag about a week before my due date and was throwing stuff in until the minute I walked out the door. I think we pre-registered about a month before my due date. It's a lot less stressful than trying to find your insurance card between contractions. My first was born on Feb 23rd - sounds like you'll be close. good luck!

At what point do I pack the 'Oh, ****, time to go' bag? And what should I put in it? I know that I should pre-register us at the hospital...any idea how early one can do that?
Pack it sooner than later, otherwise you will forget something important.

Don't forget to pack some things for yourself as well... magazine, bottle of water, snacks... you will be there for a while and hospital cafeteria food and/or vending machines get old really fast. If your wife gets an epidural and is out of it for a while while in labor, you will need to occupy your time and be ready for the big moment. Also, don't forget to bring your camera... we actually just started leaving it in my wife's hospital bag so we wouldn't forget it.

This packing a bag thing is highly overrated....my wife ran around the house packing a bag up until the contractions where 2 mins apart.....she needed nothing that she put in the bag and she spent two days in a gown given to her by the hospital.....I got her clothes to wear the day she was coming home and brought some clothes to bring the baby home in....No need to stress over packing a bag....you won't need it until the next day anyways...

^^ I agree. It's been a long time since I packed a bag, but there is probably nothing that you can't do without. It's mostly a convenience thing, but since deliveries are anything but predictable, it's hard to predict what will help.

Pack a bag!!! The minimums are:

Toothbrushes and toothpaste for both parents

Mom's shampoo and other shower stuff (hospital will provide it, she'll want her own!)

Hair brush or comb for mom

Robe for mom to wear over the hospital gown

Outfits for mom and baby to wear home (nothing fancy needed for mom, just something that's clean and comfy!)

Camera

Books and magazines for both parents

These things should be packed in a bag that is much larger than needed. The reason for this is that the hospital will give you a bunch of stuff to take home, it'll be easier if you can fit it in the bag you brought.

Back