no hand-written notes in the exam?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Z

zxu

is that true that we can't bring in any hand-written notes for the exam? I thought as far as they are binded, it is fine. any inputs?

My understanding/opinion is that rules and enforcement vary from exam location to location. The most conservative approach is to have any notes bound and written in pen.

I had 2 great big binders full of hand written notes I took during the course of my prep. Condensed notes on every topic on the exam. Solved many of my problems based on that. No one had a problem.

What they don't allow is writing on anything but the exam book or answer sheet. I had one question that needed to be solved graphically. The kind where you start at a value on an axis and move along until you hit a curve. Without thinking I grabbed my pencil and ruler and drew a line from the axis to the curve before getting a dirty look from a proctor.

I'd advise against writing in pencil. If notes are written in pen then there's no confusion over when they were written... you shouldn't have a pen with you at the test.

so can I write in pencil in the reference books? I bought my CERM from a coworker and he didn't want to me to make anything permanently on it. so I have been using pencil for notes. do I need to erase them? that is going to be a lot of pain.

I had tons of pencil-written notes in my ENVRM and many other references, and did not have any problems from my proctors. There's nothing against it in the NCEES rules, or (I think) the ELSES rules. You should read your state's exam rules, or better yet call them up and ask. And don't take no for an answer - tell them that NCEES doesn't prohibit it, (check the ELSES rules and cite them too if you can), and that you specifically heard that other states allow it.

Sometimes I think state employees find "no" to be the easiest answer, when they themselves don't immediately know the answer. A little evidence to the contrary can sometimes sway them your way.

so can I write in pencil in the reference books? I bought my CERM from a coworker and he didn't want to me to make anything permanently on it. so I have been using pencil for notes. do I need to erase them? that is going to be a lot of pain.
Here is my take on the issue (following the logic):

1. The Sample Candidate Admission Slip does not address the issue of references except to note that FE/FS exams are CLOSED book and PE/PS exams are open book.

2. The Sample Candidate Agreement addresses reference materials for the PE/PS exam by indicating:

• All reference materials must be bound and remain bound during the exam.
  • Examinees may tab reference books before the exam with Post-itTM type notes and flags, but pads of Post-it notes and flags are not permitted in the exam room.
3. The very top of the Sample Candidate Agreement reads,

All licensure candidates qualified to take any NCEES exam must review the following information before sitting for theexam. Examinees are required to sign their exam answer sheet before the exam starts to affirm that they have been

provided this information, have read and understand the material, and agree to abide by the stated policies and

procedures, which apply to all NCEES exams. Full compliance is required.
ANALYSIS:

If those sheets constitute the STATED POLICIES and it does not say that your references must be free from any notation made in PENCIL then I do not believe that violates any NCEES Policy. :2cents:

That is one man's opinion - other's are welcomed to comment :)

JR

I think the proctors in my exam were looking more for people that were writing in their references, rather than how things were previously written in. I got in the habit of when looking something up, I would put my pencil down or have my exam and right hand to the right side of me and my reference to the left side of me.

Bottom line - Don't give the proctors any reason to think you may up to something.

Likewise, I made sure that all of my notes were either typed, in pen, or on some sheets where I had written in pencil - photocopied and placed back into my binders.

-Ray

I haven't heard of anyone being kicked out of the exam for having handwritten notes... and I'd bet a case of beer (or a keg, for that matter) that no one has (been kicked out).

Personally, I wouldn't waste time cleaning up reference books. My CERM is virgin but that's just because I've always hated writing in books (am I the only one?!?).

I did what JR suggested... I photocopied my notes pages so there'd be no doubt.

Has anyone heard of someone even being hassled by a proctor for handwritten notes?

I had handwritten notes penciled in my CERM, too. Nobody said anything about it.

I had handwritten notes penciled in my CERM, too. Nobody said anything about it.

I don't think they are specifically looking for it while they walk the rows, but if you were reading and moving your pencil along one of your reference books, they made take notice and look over your shoulder.

Just my 2cents.

-Ray

I have had no problems with hand-written notes in references. But I, too, think it's test site specific. I had a buddy who had a few chapters of some refernce book simply binder clipped together, and they let it slide...

I didn't have any issues with the hand written notes at my test site. I had notes written in my CERM and I used notes that I had bound in binders all in pencil.

I like to write in my books because they are mine, all mine!!!!

SapperPE: I am taking it in VA too. were you in northern VA site (fairfax)?

thanks

SapperPE said:
I had plenty of hand-written notes during my two exam attempts in VA. I even asked the proctors both times if they were allowed and they said as long as they were bound it was fine. The big thing I think the proctors are looking for is where you are writing during the course of the exam. If they see you writing in a reference or in a bound notebook then they would most likely question you and that could become an issue. Best bet is to bring it and ask if it is allowed, if they say to get rid of it, there ain't no harm in asking them as long as the test hasn't started.

TX, CO, no pencil, says on the state board page. CA can have pencil. Not sure about other states. Some states are weird about what you can and cannot bring into the test. CHECK YOUR STATE BOARD WEBSITE. Or just be okay with the fact that they might take it away from you. Good luck everyone!

TX, CO, no pencil, says on the state board page. CA can have pencil. Not sure about other states. Some states are weird about what you can and cannot bring into the test. CHECK YOUR STATE BOARD WEBSITE. Or just be okay with the fact that they might take it away from you. Good luck everyone!
I can't find on the TX board webpage where it says that notes cannot be written in pencil. Also, my official "gets you into the exam letter" doesn't say anything about what kinds of notes are allowed, as long as they are bound. Can you please direct me to the web site where it says that penciled notes are not allowed in TX?

Also, I just checked on the ELSES page. It specifically says that penciled notes are allowed, just make sure you don't write outside of the test booklet during the exam.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back