Question about NEC, OCPD after finding wire ampacity

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparky Bill PE

Senior, Master, Professional, Licensed Electrical
Reaction score
This is from Wasim's literature. I would think you would size up your ampacity to the NEXT standard OCPD. Is it normal, per NEC, if your ampacity of cables is say 100 A, you can choose a 100A breaker and NOT step up to a 110 A breaker?

image.png

240.4(B) applies only when the conductor ampacity does not match the ampacity rating of the standard OCPDs in Table 240.6(A). Because the rating of the wire is exactly 70A, you would use a 70A OCPD. See the handbook explanation below.

20201030_120627.jpg20201030_120640.jpg

Thank you for posting handbook explanation. I haven't used any handbook since they said we will be given the "codebook" i been training myself to use only that. 

Thank you for posting handbook explanation. I haven't used any handbook since they said we will be given the "codebook" i been training myself to use only that. 
That is good practice and something we all should keep in mind since most of us have been practicing with the handbook. Another thing to note that we don't have with the new format compared to the pen and paper exam. This is just one example that is a little gray with the actual code text that is clarified in the handbook text.

That is good practice and something we all should keep in mind since most of us have been practicing with the handbook. Another thing to note that we don't have with the new format compared to the pen and paper exam. This is just one example that is a little gray with the actual code text that is clarified in the handbook text.
Exactly. Good point. I pray they don't use these "tricks" that the HB makes easy and the codebook doesn't to test on. 

I am curious and dreading the NEC portion of this PE exam coming up. And the protection since there is zero in the reference book. The two biggest sections we have zero in reference book and given the codebook instead of handbook LOL

Back