PTOE Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trey T.

Reaction score
Hello all,

I recently just took the PTOE exam for October 2020. It was more challenging than what I originally thought and as always missed a couple that I knew I should have gotten off the bat. For those that have previously taken it, I was curious what is the pass percentage needed in order to pass the exam? I know it varies by when you have taken it, but a rough number would help if anyone that has taken it could provide that.

Thanks! 

Hey Trey,

I just took it as well. The other threads for the past exams somewhat provide the info you're looking for:

June 2019 - High Score = 83%. Average Score = 68%
Oct 2019 - High Score = 86%. Average Score = 68%. 102 candidates, 80 passed
June 2020 - Passing Percentage = 62%

Thanks for the info! Do you think the average score is reflective of the amount of questions needed to pass the exam? I suspect in June 2020 only 62% (93 correct) were needed to pass

No prob! 
I would suspect that as well, but can't confirm. FWIW, the ITE Practice Exam considers a 70% or better to be passing, so that's somewhat in line with the actual exam average scores in the 60% range. 

I wouldn't think PTP, PTOE, or RSP exam results would come out for maybe another week or two

No prob! 
I would suspect that as well, but can't confirm. FWIW, the ITE Practice Exam considers a 70% or better to be passing, so that's somewhat in line with the actual exam average scores in the 60% range. 
Looks like exam notification was emailed a few minutes ago!

Also passed. The email says "You will receive a letter with your specific exam details within the next few weeks," so maybe that will include score information.

Hi all,

Sitting for my PTOE exam next month. I'm currently going through the ITE PTOE refresher course, there doesn't seem to be much guidance on how to study outside of this. Is there anything that you wish you would have studied or read up on outside of this, that you think would have helped during the test? 

Thanks in advance.

Hi all,

Sitting for my PTOE exam next month. I'm currently going through the ITE PTOE refresher course, there doesn't seem to be much guidance on how to study outside of this. Is there anything that you wish you would have studied or read up on outside of this, that you think would have helped during the test?

Thanks in advance.
This was from another post. Pretty helpful. The quantitative questions were really straightforward. If you are pretty familiar with MUTCD, Green Book, and HCM you should be good:

Took the exam last month, it wasn't super hard, but it was challenging as it needs more memorization than the PE.

Studied 3 days for it, did two ITE prep modules a day, Company paid for them, totally worth it if you are a lazy procrastinator like myself.

My tips:

1) Practice with the calculator, I bought mine the day before, and I would have been screwed if I didn't familiarize and set it up before the exam

2) If they give you a mini-dry erase board, make a big fuss about it and ask for paper and pencil (I did, I got them)

3) If you are completely clueless, don't spend more than 30 seconds on a question, skip and come back later

4) morning and afternoon sessions have the same mix of questions

5) Memorize or know by hearth the following (if you don't know the acronyms... you are not ready!):

PHF = Hourly Volume / (4 x Peak 15 mins Volume)

TAPER LENGTH L = WS^2 (for s<40) L = WS (for s> 45)

Merging Taper = L, Shifting Taper = L/2

PRT = 2.5 seconds

Maximum grades according to design speed (70 mph - 5%, 30 mph 7 to 12%)

Driver eye height 3.5 ft, object height 2 ft

MAximum superelevation 12% (8% if snow/ice)

Road Functional Classification: Principal Arterial, Minor Arterial, Major Collector, Minor Collector, Local

Definition of negligence and RSA

Shall is mandatory - standard, Should is advisory - guidance, May is permissive - option

Sign colors (VERY IMPORTANT!) and type (regulatory, warning, guide, information)

Speed limits are 5 mph within 85th percentile of FFS

Difference and meaning between TMS and SMS

Average walking speed is 3.5 ft/s

Urban areas with more than 50k population must have a transportation planning process, areas with 200k are TMAs

LRTP, TIP, and 4 steps model (Generation, Distribution, Mode, Assignment)

Relationship among Flow, Speed, Density and their reciprocals (Headway, TT, Spacing)

Under base conditions freeway capacity is 2,250-2,400 veh/hr/lane

Incident impact on highway capacity

Transportation Demand Management strategies

Walking phase should be at least 7 seconds, but may be reduce to 4 in special cases

Dilemma zone, signal preemption, TSP

Work Zone duration and timing (long term > 3 days, intermediate 1-3 days, Short 1-12 hours)

Good luck!

Thank you very much! I just want to point out for others reading this, that the formula for taper length for speeds 40mph and less is L=(Ws^2)/60

Curious...did anyone receive results that were mentioned when they emailed the Pass Notification?

Back