PE Civil/WRE - Resources to Learn Structural Mechanics, Soil Mechanics, Materials

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello All!

I a new to this forum but am taking the PE Civil/WRE Exam in April 2021. I graduated with a degree in Environmental Engineering in 2016, so I would say I am a bit less than prepared than others for the breadth portion of the exam. I am hoping to find some resources (free.. possibly videos?) on learning structural mechanics, soil mechanics and materials (topics covered in the breadth portion that I am entirely unfamiliar with). I took one course on structures in 2012, so I am feel a bit overwhelmed with these topics!

I think I need to re-learn/learn these topics and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

FYI - I am hoping to studying on my own rather than spend money on refresher course. 

It is never easy to start the process. Once the ball is rolling, you'll be fine. Are you involved in a lot of environmental engineering? Why not take the Environmental Engineering PE exam? The EE PE exam is computer based though. 

I also graduated with an environmental engineering degree and took the civil-wre exam. I agree that some of the AM topics were very challenging to study. The AM portion of the test kicked my butt. I think the PM portion carried me to a pass. 

For me, the biggest challenge was learning all the new variables. After that, the math is basic, or there's a table/chart. The best thing to do is to work as many practice problems as you can. The ncees practice tests are the closes to the real test you will get.

I know you're looking for free resources, but consider taking the review class from EET. It's expensive, but it's an investment into your future. 

Good luck!

Back