Incorrect gain from cascaded non-inverting op-amps

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Scott

I have two non inverting op amps cascaded together, the first is 60dB the second is 20dB. When simulated and tested separately the gains are correct, but when I cascade them I only get 48dB in simulation and the bench. I’m within the band width of the op amps, the max gain in ac sweep simulation is 48dB. The 60dB stage uses an LT1007 with 715k and 680 Rs, the 20dB stage is a TL081 with 634k and 63.4k Rs. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

What are the values of your voltage supply rails? What is the voltage level of the signal you are amplifying?

a whole bunch of simple things can be going on.

you mention AC signal. but how is it hooked up to the op amps? if there is any DC component to the signal, even a millivolt or two, that much gain will drive the output to one of the supply rails, and either clip the AC output, OR just make is a DC rail voltage output.

and also interstage, are you AC coupling the input op amp to the output op amp? and DC offset in the first op amp will get amplified all the way to the output by that large gain.

this is an old post, so i will assume you hooked an oscilloscope to the circuit, and have already figured this all out.

Back