19 year old dies after botched plastic surgery, surgeon and all involved keep their licenses..

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road Guy

Reaction score
This story is very sad, the girl went to HS with my daughter for a year.  There are a lot of surgeries that dont take place in a real hospital, and these are not the same quaility physicans and nurses you will typically find working in hospital..

But in summary the girl went into cardiac arrest after being put under, no one watched her for 15 minutes, in a coma for more than a year, died recently. While the Doc got a 3 year license suspension, in terms of our engineering licenses, why should anyone with a license involved in this still have one? The Doc, the anesthesiologist, nurse, etc..

Also no clue why this beautiful young girl wanted a boob job at 19, not my place to say, but lots of sadness all around.

I dont personally think state boards are very strict with similiar failures from within the engineering community in regard to licenses either.

https://people.com/health/19-year-old-dies-after-botched-surgery/

Last edited by a moderator:
I kind of read all that with a grain of salt because the whole article was pretty much just claims being made by the family's lawyer. TBH, I'm not sure why the surgeon was targeted other than the usual shotgun method of suing anybody and everybody. If it's anything like when I got my knee done, all the prep work is done by nurses and anesthesiologists and then the doc. strolls in and does his thing. If the claims are right, it sounds like the anesthesia team could be screwed, but the doctor didn't have anything to do with putting her under.

With these Ambulatory Surgery Centers they are typically owned by the Doctor though - so it would be like if it was your company and the people under you fucked up -

Its really on the nurse anesthescist (sp?)  IMO  & whomever made the decsion to not call 911 when they went into cardiac arrest - likely they could have gotten her some real care at an ER / ICU and she may not be dead..

That's why I said I was reading it with a grain of salt...claims of leaving her lay there for 15 minutes and/or waiting 5 hours before calling 911 were coming straight from the family's lawyer.  Of course, it doesn't sound good when there's no response, but that is standard procedure nowadays.

I will reiterate what you said previously, the whole thing is a shame. I suppose she was over 18 so, technically, she could decide for herself but I think anyone that young should be required to jump through a few mental health hoops before they're approved for surgery.

Ugh. That's so sad. 

I have seen some awful behavior among doctors where I am, during COVID. Stuff that if an engineer did it, we'd be hauled before a Board and probably disciplined, at the least.  One doc is on Facebook every day criticizing the government's decisions, which is fine, but he calls out the doctors on the government advisory board (other private docs that he competes with) and says they don't know what they are doing, etc., but falling short of calling them names. He even paid for ads to appear in local Facebook feeds criticizing the government's approach. I really have no idea what his agenda is, but talking to folks I know, it's all just about personal attention. 

But then there are others here who don't stop short of calling names. One doc who also likes a lot of attention called one of the government's public health docs the B word in a radio interview and told her "F you". He has been quiet lately, but I don 't think there was any disciplinary action from the licensing board.

And the there are the doctors in the governor's advisory board itself. They are always criticizing each other in public and throwing each other under the bus. At one point, after the governor announced our most recent lockdown, the chairman of the group went public and said the governor was wrong, that they never advised her to do that. And then the next day, the rest of the docs on the board came public and said that the chairman was wrong, that they did agree to to that and advise the governor. And then the chairman came back and said, oh yeah, those guys are right but I personally disagreed.

I have never been super impressed with docs, but my experiences recently have cemented that view and in fact, I think most docs are way more socially maladjusted than engineers, on the average. I think a lot of them probably grew up as the valedictorian type, voted most likely to succeed, or the kid that mom and dad gave all their attention to, and as a result they turn out to be truly awful adults. I think engineers definitely have a better system of professional ethics in place. 

I was initially shown this story by the wife and it sounds like she agreed with the accusations in the lawsuit - you dont put someone under without monitoring them, cause this is the result when you step out even for a few minutes.

She has picked up some part time work in these type outpatient surgery centers and they dont give her a warm and fuzzy (but they do make her feel somewhat better about her shitty job where you at least have real doctors (trauma surgeons and such) who may have their own issues but are not straight up crooks-

I bought my house from a nurse anesthetist.  Some of the simple things I had to walk him through, makes me scared to ever have to be put under if that's the intelligence level.

He also really, really wanted me to buy his office desk, from a furniture company named..... "Winners Only"

He also really, really wanted me to buy his office desk, from a furniture company named..... "Winners Only”
Was it really big and heavy? I inherited a Brady Bunch lookin’ sleeper sofa when I bought my first house because the previous owners didn’t want to haul it out of the basement. Eventually I moved it out...in pieces.

Was it really big and heavy? I inherited a Brady Bunch lookin’ sleeper sofa when I bought my first house because the previous owners didn’t want to haul it out of the basement. Eventually I moved it out...in pieces.

Yes, and he claimed he didn't have a place for it in his new house, which was as big as this one.

1529577751-linda-hamilton-sarah-connor-terminator.jpg

Back