Nutrition, Diet, and Elite Fitness: Notes, Goals, and Resources....

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road Guy

Reaction score
So at new gym, going on day 4 - still the new guy- We did hand stand hold and hand stand walks practice afterwards (no walking for me) but there is this really stocky guy who just leans over and walks on his hands all the way across the gym floor, guess he used to be a power lifter, but wanted to get lean, I was impressed!  I guess all that upper body strength defin comes in handy!

My massage lady isn't coming back to work until January 4th.  I think I'm going to die.  Probably won't curl up and die, though.  My back hurts too much to curl.

So at new gym, going on day 4 - still the new guy- We did hand stand hold and hand stand walks practice afterwards (no walking for me) but there is this really stocky guy who just leans over and walks on his hands all the way across the gym floor, guess he used to be a power lifter, but wanted to get lean, I was impressed!  I guess all that upper body strength defin comes in handy!
Are you sure he isn't a former wrestler? My husband has full dad bod, but can still handstand walk across the house. I feel like it's as much about balance as it is strength. 

I pick at my hands when in meetings to disgust those around me, so I (knock wood) won't tear. I also focus on the palm grip (heh) to avoid it as well. Our coach swears by it. 

But here's my "I fought the box and the box won" photo from back in February. 

image.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Although I admit I am happy I can on average kick up to the wall in 1-2 tries,I dont konw if I ever really need to be able to handstand walk, but would be cool thing to be able to do next time I am at the beach ;)

The upgrade in coaching has been very noticeable at the new place - they have two ladies who are also on XF Seminar Staff.

I have always felt (in my short time) like XF was pretty good to both the men and women, but the other day we were doing Max weight Overhead Squats, and there is something cool about seeing a woman teach a room full of 12 dudes and commanding a serious level of respect coaching a fairly techincal movement. (maybe just me saying this seems wonky) but I didnt really think about it until afterward.  And for the 2nd week I felt like I gained in techinigue..

There was also a row for calories event and I didnt finish in the top 5 so I am pretty bummed about that :(  

I went ahead and went to another box while on the road this week (hopes COVID didn't notice). It was GIGANTIC- I felt like part of the warm up should have been just grabbing all of our gear. It was good to go and try a WOD at another gym and feel vaguely confident and not embarrass my home gym. 

They had the actual Rogue bikes and we have the Xebex one and they feel so different. I had a moment where I started biking to see if everything was set and then I stopped and I didn't realize it autopauses so I jump in for calories and realize I haven't unpaused. Bah. 

i had something similar happen on the rower, the buttons were all in different places!  - also apprently the new people claim that if you set the damper to 10 you get more calories, I couldnt tell a difference?

I had only dropped in at one other gym in town that is closer, but it just had like babies crying and toddlers running around, it was extremely annoying- I really thought they 86'd that with covid ( my old gym was very strict - no kids, which may have explained why also you had to put all the boxes up a certain way, and all the wall balls have to be lined up based on color, etc )- but the coach for that gym just sat at  a desk and sort of barked orders, if there hadnt been someone there i knew I probably would have pulled one of my wifes moves and left mid workout..

The old gym had these custom made boxes - you could stack them pretty tall but if someone was using them or stacked them up without all the “holes” lined up the dude was so OCD he would have to stop whatever was going on  and fix it....

best pic I could find if you can see the ones in the background I would always try and leave one turned the wrong way- people should learn to accept change ;)

7B9A4335-1B0E-423A-9FA9-C4CCE066DDBB.jpeg

Speaking of which, I just ordered my own short person box from REP Fitness. I'm tired of stacking plates and need to just work on getting that 20" jump down all the time. I ordered their "in-between" which is 16-18-20. Four plates stacked on each other is 15, so I think I should be set. It's just gonna be me in my snowpants in the backyard jumping all winter. 

Do you have to assemble it? I think thats the size I made, was only $40 bucks in wood but it was more of a PIA than I thought it would be..  Probably $300 in labor.

There was a class last week and something was wrong with the sign up website so too many people came, the wife had to use a 20IN - first time she used one in a workout, it took her  a while but she got it done (same day I busted my shin) I told her you cant go back down now!

Yeah, I have to assemble it. Shipped it's $68, which is worth it for my husband to not have to cut anything for me. Assembly should take 20 minutes. There was an option to pick up for free in Denver, but they are only open by appointment for that M-F 10-4. The $16 of shipping was fine. 

I am the proud owner of a new PR in the Overhad Squat category...

......drum roll please.......

105 lbs!

Sort of LOL, ,but also first time we've ever really done that as a weightlifting movement (old gym didnt ever like to do them) but figure its a good place to start...

That OHS squat is a terrible movement. I did it earlier this week at 65-lb and spent the whole time thinking, "Oh, this seems bad." 

Thats what Sheela's was today too!

Chica next to me did 150!  - But I am sure Tony Hornton can do 3X that?

Its an awkward as hell movement thats for sure...

Back