The Most Important Exam Strategy

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E720

Reaction score
I received my exam authorization the other day. Luckily it is very close to my house this time, and I am pretty happy about that. I have been planning everything out, when I need to leave, where I am going to park, what am I going to have for lunch, etc. This brought up a good question, what is the best strategy for avoiding going to the bathroom for 4 hours at a time morning and afternoon? Just wondering if anyone has considered this. Like what should I eat for breakfast? Surely nothing fibrous. Should I bring a drink to keep hydrated? During the PE I sipped on a drink all morning and consequently had to PE several times during the afternoon which probably cost me precious time. Let me know your thoughts.

Depends what your routine is. Eat early enough that you can go before the exam starts and I snacked on grapes that kept me hydrated and also feeling snacky

For the next two weeks regulate your mornings and afternoons to only one release each. Creature of habit will help. Don’t eat sugary snacks at least during the exam. The body likes to release excess sugar. Hydrate just enough early at lunch break. If you have to just sip as little as possible. Energy drinks won’t help. Good luck. 

I've been wondering the same and interested in seeing others' ideas.  My initial plan was sort of along tj_PE's.  I'm generally up early so if I can snack on something early to get that mostly handled before the exam, I can probably be fine to make it.  I'll also probably keep liquid intake fairly low.

Start doing kegels so you can hold everything in. I tried to eat relatively light the day before (Jimmy Johns #9 with dijon), and then grabbed a sandwich from a local shop at lunch. Had a travel mug of coffee during the AM, and then just a bottle of water in the afternoon. I've never needed to use the bathroom during the PE or SE because I'm usually just focused on the exam itself. 

Back