Do you need a bankers box for notes

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USACEOfficer

Reaction score
Hi so Prometric says your notes must be in a box, do I need to actually buy a bankers box or can I hand carry all my material or have it like in a back pack?

Hi so Prometric says your notes must be in a box, do I need to actually buy a bankers box or can I hand carry all my material or have it like in a back pack?
I am not sure if you need a box or can carry in your hand. But they do not let you take your backpack in for sure. You have to put that in a locker.

I specially bought a box for this. Be sure to check the dimension as you only have so much space next to the monitor.

I am not sure if you need a box or can carry in your hand. But they do not let you take your backpack in for sure. You have to put that in a locker.

I specially bought a box for this. Be sure to check the dimension as you only have so much space next to the monitor.
Yeah I was wondering maybe like a reusable grocery bag I just don't want to buy a bankers box just for the sole purpose of holding my notes unless I need to have it

I just took the exam last week and I had a bankers box. But there was another person at prometric, that I overheard was taking one of the one the civil exams, and he just had a backpack. I didn't see what happened but I assume they let him carry his couple books in with him since he was having to put his backpack in the locker. I would get any old box that just doesn't exceed the dimensions they provide if I were you though.

I brought my materials in without a box or container, so that's also an option. I believe the restriction is that you're only allowed as many references as will fit in a banker's box.

So it was no issue hand carrying? I only have my aei stuff and two binders didn't want to buy a $40 box if my arms work just fine

For both tests, I just brought my material in a reusable grocery bag. All materials had to be in a three-ring binder or bound. They checked to make sure there were no loose papers.

Not sure if it was just my particular center, but I had my seismic materials (2 binders) in a reusable grocery tote bag and they made me put the bag in the locker. I had to hand carry my things in (binders, calculator, ID, locker key, etc.) but they were very nice about it. They even offered me help in moving my binders from the locker area to the check-in desk since I didn't have a box. It was pretty obvious the binders would fit in the box but I guess they went with the literal interpretation that it needed to literally be box or hand-carried only. 

Not sure if it was just my particular center, but I had my seismic materials (2 binders) in a reusable grocery tote bag and they made me put the bag in the locker. I had to hand carry my things in (binders, calculator, ID, locker key, etc.) but they were very nice about it. They even offered me help in moving my binders from the locker area to the check-in desk since I didn't have a box. It was pretty obvious the binders would fit in the box but I guess they went with the literal interpretation that it needed to literally be box or hand-carried only. 
I believe this is mainly to make sure that you don't have any materials stowed away that you're not allowed to have. A box is a bit more easy to search than a tote bag. 

Back