Surveying exam August 2020

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ach

Reaction score
Hi, 

Has anyone taken the surveying exam in August? How  did it go?

Any recommendations?

Thanks

If anyone has taken the CPESR course and the Survey exam, would you say the actual exam was closest in difficulty to the Medium CPESR practice exam or the Hard CPESR practice exam? Thanks!

I take it this Friday! I’ve been using CPESR for my review. I’m taking all of the practice exams this week leading up to Friday. I feel pretty good but I’ve also gone through these problems so many times already. I’ll keep you updated on how it goes! @Ach @PlanCheckEng

I took it last Monday studying with Reza's workbook and the Surveying Principles by Cuomo. It wasn't too bad actually, easier than I anticipated and I finished with around 15 minutes extra time to check my answers 😁
I think as long as you do a lot of practice problems, you should be good to go. There wasn't anything that caught me off guard 

If anyone has taken the CPESR course and the Survey exam, would you say the actual exam was closest in difficulty to the Medium CPESR practice exam or the Hard CPESR practice exam? Thanks!
I used the CPESR material. The medium difficulty exams were most similar to the actual exam. Lots of conceptual problems that were fairly quick to find using the index. I also had my EET binder for some of the more involved concept questions.

If you can get above 80% on the medium difficulty exams and not feel too crunched for time, you should be ok.

No problem guys! Good luck.

I came out of the exam having ran out of time and needing to guess on about 5 problems, making an educated guess on another 10, but feeling mostly comfortable with remainder of the problems. I passed, but walking out of the exam I felt like I left points behind because I allowed myself to get stuck on longer, more difficult problems.

Remember that if you waste time trying to solve problems that you don't have a clear idea how to solve, you're likely losing yourself 2+ points. 1 for the problem you're solving poorly & 1 for every 2 minutes you waste on said problem.

Skip it & move on to a problem you know.

I just took my surveying exam today (8/31). Does anyone know if I’ll receive my results in September or will I have to wait till October? 

Just took mine today.  Study with the Reza book.  Overall it prepared me well and was a good reference in the exam.  Surprisingly there were two almost identical questions on a very specific thing which I don't think was covered in the Reza course.  But perhaps I missed it.  Otherwise, I took my time and finished with about five minutes to spare.  That wasn't sufficient to go back and check things but at least I wasn't rushing to finish.  

I flagged 13 as ones I wanted to go back and check but couldn't.  I think I probably scored around 75%. Hopefully I am right and that's enough to pass...

Just took mine today.  Study with the Reza book.  Overall it prepared me well and was a good reference in the exam.  Surprisingly there were two almost identical questions on a very specific thing which I don't think was covered in the Reza course.  But perhaps I missed it.  Otherwise, I took my time and finished with about five minutes to spare.  That wasn't sufficient to go back and check things but at least I wasn't rushing to finish.  

I flagged 13 as ones I wanted to go back and check but couldn't.  I think I probably scored around 75%. Hopefully I am right and that's enough to pass...
This is how I felt after my test as well. Think I scored 75%. Flagged 12. Guessed on about 4 questions.

Had to reschedule this exam 4 times due to exam center closures and was finally able to take it this August. Hopefully we pass and get this over with.

Hey Guys

I did my test and was really rushed with time and I studied a TON.

I got 36/55 completed in the first 2 hours and a confident answer.... not sure if the answer is 100% right.

Went back to 10 I flagged and maybe got 50-50 at best on those. Hopefully this is enough to pass? I heard overall 36ish is needed to pass give or take.

the other few I blindly guessed..... @TheLoneStarEngineer

Fingers crossed we all get to see that pretty green pass box! This is the only one I need to get through for my license and let me tell you, it’s been a long fight. I’m so ready to be done. 

This is how I felt after my test as well. Think I scored 75%. Flagged 12. Guessed on about 4 questions.

Had to reschedule this exam 4 times due to exam center closures and was finally able to take it this August. Hopefully we pass and get this over with.
Had to reschedule several times as well due to closures. Prometric wouldn’t let me reschedule for free this time around so I wound up paying twice for both exams. I reached out to Prometric to see why and I got a “we’ll get back to you” email. They never got back to me...

Results are out. Congrats to all that passed. And for those who didn’t, keep your heads up. They don’t just hand out PEs. Keep studying and give it another go. 

Back