Just got an NCEES email saying October PE exams are canceled.

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akyip

Reaction score
Looks like all that effort into my Bible binder just went down the drain!!!

Anyone else got this email? Thoughts? Opinions?

As the topic title mentioned, I just received an email from NCEES stating that:

"NCEES has accelerated the PE Electrical and Computer Power exam transition to computer-based testing (CBT). All examinees who are currently registered to take this exam in October will be canceled and automatically provided a full refund of their exam registration fee so they can immediately register for the computer-based exam."

Just the same email. it sucks, now we gotta change how to approach the exam when it comes to studying.

I just got the email too.  Just as disappointing to me is that the CBT can't be taken until December 1st.   I was ready to be done with it in 10 weeks after studying so long.

But I guess it's better than the test being cancelled a week or two before the exam and then being left in limbo. 

Now we really need to print out the CBT reference handbook and get used to it.

Zach Stone had a video review about it (which he shared on this board) and some glaring things are a lack of coverage about certain topics such as protection and codes/standards. That really concerns me.

On one hand, I am glad that I have a little more time. On the other hand, I now have to worry about having a sub-par reference sheet and my wife and I were planning on moving at the beginning of the year. 

As someone that has over 400 hours b/w April exam and this exam already, I want to say you're not alone. If you need to private message me and have a cry fest or a vent fest I"m here. No one that has had this done to them can understand what we are going through. If you were a first time test taker like me and April and had this happened to you twice then I understand. 

Love you guys, lets keep our heads up and lets dominate this exam on computer. 

We won't ever give up. WE WILL NOT GIVE UP.

Been studying for this **** test for over a year and now they change the format of the test with the last two exams I have been registered for being cancelled. What a load of garbage. Their reference manual is significantly lacking in formulas and information on typical problem types based on their own exam specifications and sample exam! NCEES gets to toy with and hinder people's career advancement opportunities with no oversight or repercussions. It's ridiculous.

CBT is not going to be easy. I think we should all send email to NCEES to let us use at least our own formula book. I spend over a year just to make a formula book.

I just sent an email to NCEES and I suggest everyone else do the same:

"Hi,

I recently learned that the October PE test for Electrical Power was cancelled and that it will be immediately transitioned to CBT.  Can this please be reconsidered?  Myself and many others have spent hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars preparing to meet a standard that has now changed.  We have copious amounts of reference material that we've meticulously been creating with the expectation that we would be able to use it on the PE test. 

The transition to the CBT test will still put us in enclosed rooms at a desk with other people taking a test so there isn't any increased safety from not allowing a paper and pencil exam in an enclosed room at a desk with other people.

If large gatherings of people are not allowed could you instead allow the paper and pencil test in smaller testing environments?  

This PE test is a huge point in many people's careers and with now the last two tests being cancelled and people wasting thousands of dollars on buying material that can now no longer be used it seems that there should be an extraordinary effort made to allow a pencil and paper exam.

If CBT is the only way forward then can we bring in a USB with our references that we've spent thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours compiling?  The current setup of only allowing the provided codes and handbook does not mirror how engineering occurs in the real world.  All of my colleagues and I have personal notes that we reference extensively with hyperlinks and highlights and diagrams that we've put together to further explain things.  We never rely on memorizing formulas.

The current sub 100 page handbook is missing a huge chunk of information - Protection (the largest part of the exam) has no mention at all.  There are also a huge amount of missing formulas and concepts from the other material being tested.

I know this is a difficult time for your organization trying to juggle different restrictions nationally and internationally and it is a complex and difficult task - thank you for working through it.  The people who take the test are even further affected by the costs (financial, time, stress, professional) of having the exam be cancelled twice and switched to an entirely new format.

Please reach out if there is anything I can clarify or help explain - I absolutely want to help to make this easier on everyone.

Thank you,"

What a buzzkill. I'm in NY and tried to register for the CBT exam after my pen and paper exam was cancelled. Apparently I have to go through the board again before I can schedule a date!

I just sent an email to NCEES and I suggest everyone else do the same:

"Hi,

I recently learned that the October PE test for Electrical Power was cancelled and that it will be immediately transitioned to CBT.  Can this please be reconsidered?  Myself and many others have spent hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars preparing to meet a standard that has now changed.  We have copious amounts of reference material that we've meticulously been creating with the expectation that we would be able to use it on the PE test. 

The transition to the CBT test will still put us in enclosed rooms at a desk with other people taking a test so there isn't any increased safety from not allowing a paper and pencil exam in an enclosed room at a desk with other people.

If large gatherings of people are not allowed could you instead allow the paper and pencil test in smaller testing environments?  

This PE test is a huge point in many people's careers and with now the last two tests being cancelled and people wasting thousands of dollars on buying material that can now no longer be used it seems that there should be an extraordinary effort made to allow a pencil and paper exam.

If CBT is the only way forward then can we bring in a USB with our references that we've spent thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours compiling?  The current setup of only allowing the provided codes and handbook does not mirror how engineering occurs in the real world.  All of my colleagues and I have personal notes that we reference extensively with hyperlinks and highlights and diagrams that we've put together to further explain things.  We never rely on memorizing formulas.

The current sub 100 page handbook is missing a huge chunk of information - Protection (the largest part of the exam) has no mention at all.  There are also a huge amount of missing formulas and concepts from the other material being tested.

I know this is a difficult time for your organization trying to juggle different restrictions nationally and internationally and it is a complex and difficult task - thank you for working through it.  The people who take the test are even further affected by the costs (financial, time, stress, professional) of having the exam be cancelled twice and switched to an entirely new format.

Please reach out if there is anything I can clarify or help explain - I absolutely want to help to make this easier on everyone.

Thank you,"
How do I send email to NCEES?  Is there an email address? Do I need to login?

Last edited by a moderator:
That sucks and I'm sorry that happened. Just remember that none of your studying was useless! You still learned important information that you'll use on the exam! 

Yeah if you log into your account and click on the question mark in the top right corner of your screen you'll find a way to send them a message.

Go to your NCEES account-->click on your name on the upper right corner-->support-->This will open a small chat window-->click "ASK"-->select Exam-->past your message. Vola!

I got laid off last week and today I got this email. I told my kids that I will spend more time with them after my examination. Today I couldn't even look at their eyes.  

Are they just cancelled the exam for Power only ? Because i just tried to register for CBT and noticed Electronics and Civil pencil exam still exist for this October.  

Are they just cancelled the exam for Power only ? Because i just tried to register for CBT and noticed Electronics and Civil pencil exam still exist for this October.  
Yes, it likely they sacrificed the power exam to try to salvage the other October exams because the power exam is ready for CBT testing.

I got laid off last week and today I got this email. I told my kids that I will spend more time with them after my examination. Today I couldn't even look at their eyes.  
Hello Rajan,

This might not help but there are often job listings for electrical engineers on the NRECA (rural electric cooperatives) website. I've called a few of these utilities and they struggle to get anyone to apply even though they pay well and have great benefits in my experience.  The downside is that these jobs are usually in the middle of nowhere but listings just outside large cities occasionally show up.  You can add an alert with the keyword "engineer" so it will email you anytime something new shows up.  

You can find the site at www.cooperative.com > menu > Co-op jobs

Good luck with the exam and I hope you find an even better job than you had before.

Hello Rajan,

This might not help but there are often job listings for electrical engineers on the NRECA (rural electric cooperatives) website. I've called a few of these utilities and they struggle to get anyone to apply even though they pay well and have great benefits in my experience.  The downside is that these jobs are usually in the middle of nowhere but listings just outside large cities occasionally show up.  You can add an alert with the keyword "engineer" so it will email you anytime something new shows up.  

You can find the site at www.cooperative.com > menu > Co-op jobs

Good luck with the exam and I hope you find an even better job than you had before.
Thank You!

Back