Georgia PE, SE license

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reverse Polish

Reaction score
Georgia ACEC has posted on LinkedIn that SB 310--establishing a PE, SE license for Structural Engineers-- has been signed into law.  I know many Georgians on these threads have been a bit *ahem* resentful for having to pass the 16-hour SE exam in order to obtain a PE license.  What are your thoughts on another state requiring SE licensure for design of high-risk structures?

ACEC Georgia

SB 310 - "PE, SE" license for structural engineers has officially been signed into law by Governor Kemp. This bill alleviates the competitive disadvantage Georgia structural engineers face when competing for projects against individuals from states that have already established some sort of SE license. Great win for ACEC Georgia and the entire engineering community! Thank you to Senator Tyler Harper and Representative Vance Smith for State House!

Pass SE exam to obtain PE license. Wow...

This rule is only for structural engineers I guess.

Pass SE exam to obtain PE license. Wow...

This rule is only for structural engineers I guess.
To clarify, Georgia has already been requiring the 16-hour exam for engineers practicing "structural" to obtain a PE license--to the dismay of engineers residing in Georgia.  The new law provides for a separate "Professional Structural Engineer" license to align with the already-established requirements.  

Sounds like good news.  Right now the board is kindof weird about it...they'll let you take the 8 hour PE only if you can convince them that you aren't and don't ever plan on working on 'high-risk' stuff (link).  By having the actual SE license, it sounds like it simplifies things for those doing low-rise and low risk stuff.

This assumes that their rules on only requiring the SE for high risk stuff are staying the same.

Sounds like good news.  Right now the board is kindof weird about it...they'll let you take the 8 hour PE only if you can convince them that you aren't and don't ever plan on working on 'high-risk' stuff (link).  By having the actual SE license, it sounds like it simplifies things for those doing low-rise and low risk stuff.

This assumes that their rules on only requiring the SE for high risk stuff are staying the same.
It's a bizarre middle-ground somewhere between the requirements of Oregon/Washington/Nevada and Illinois.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Does this affect people that hold existing PE license in GA that are practicing structural?

I can't get a PE in Illinois at all, unless it is in civil engineering, and I have to prove my 4 years of experience in non-structural civil projects.
Even then, you can't do any structural work in Illinois with a PE license.  As much as we all stress/have stressed through the 16-hour exam, think of the poor souls who live and work in Illinois, and have to pass this monster just to be considered a "real" engineer in their firms.  I swear half the room last October was stressed-out third-and-fourth timers working in Chicagoland--including a good number of middle-aged types.  

Even then, you can't do any structural work in Illinois with a PE license.  As much as we all stress/have stressed through the 16-hour exam, think of the poor souls who live and work in Illinois, and have to pass this monster just to be considered a "real" engineer in their firms.  I swear half the room last October was stressed-out third-and-fourth timers working in Chicagoland--including a good number of middle-aged types.  
Raises hand... poor soul... me.. me! Working in Illinois. Middle-aged, taking this **** exam. (Maybe, some day.) FML.

What exactly is middle aged?  

Are  we going off statistical life expectancy, bc if that is the case, based on a chart I saw on here, the vast majority of people taking this test are middle aged.  Also, there are certain times when I like to see gray hair on people, and its usually when I'm depending on them to make decisions that  ... you know .... won't get me killed. 

What exactly is middle aged?  

Are  we going off statistical life expectancy, bc if that is the case, based on a chart I saw on here, the vast majority of people taking this test are middle aged.  Also, there are certain times when I like to see gray hair on people, and its usually when I'm depending on them to make decisions that  ... you know .... won't get me killed. 
I'm in my 40's, not really middle aged, but this is my second career, so I feel like the old lady at the party a lot of the time.  All three of my supervisors/leads/VP above me are withing 10 years of my age.

Second career?  What was the first?  Why the change? Do tell!  :)   JK. Its really none of my (or the internet's) business lol.  

Back